PDA

View Full Version : spoilt brat generation

-:Undertaker:-
06-12-2016, 08:23 PM
okay so bit of a rant

my sister is like 14 and oh my god it's so annoying. her and her little mates all reckon they're adults when they're so not and so many of them are spoilt its unbelievable. one example: she goes with my mum to town to clothes shop and takes her like designer places where a jacket costs £150 and expects to get it. mum obv doesn't and she gets cob on

literally when i was a kid spending £150 was unthinkable like WHERE DOES THIS COME FROM. i work part time and even if i was working full time i wouldn't even think of spending 150 quid on a jacket yet these are CHILDREN with no concept of value of money and they're expecting the parents to shell out on tacky designer gear its laughable. but you know whats worse loads of them actually get given it by the parents even when the parents are on lower wages and up to their eyeballs in debt

and i've heard other stuff too. like you know when you and I were 13 or 14 and it was your birthday, you'd take like four mates to see a film and go to pizza hut after it right? nowadays 13 year olds are actually booking hotel apartment rooms and having parties in hotels. as if it's a stag or hen do. WHAT IS THIS??? and renting limos to drive around in and sip lemonade tacky AF

so what stories of spoilt brats have you heard and do you think its got worse since we were that age

FlyingJesus
06-12-2016, 08:30 PM
This has always been a thing, it just depends on the kid

-:Undertaker:-
06-12-2016, 08:33 PM
FlyingJesus;

i think its deffo getting worse now though like apartments being rented for kids birthday parties whats tha all aba??

FlyingJesus
06-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Probably just the fashionable thing at the moment, we used to have people getting nightclubs rented out for the rich kid's parties it's just a more intimate version of that I guess

dbgtz
06-12-2016, 08:49 PM
I'd certainly agree that's it's probably always been a thing.
Probably more widespread as things are relatively cheaper than they used to be (looking at electronics) and people seem to have more wealth (or at least, easy credit).

At the end of the day it's probably down to the parent not really educating them properly on the matter.

lawrawrrr
06-12-2016, 09:25 PM
I think the big difference is kids can see how the other half live on Instagram constantly so expect nicer things. Even watching TV & Youtube you see these celebs plugging some expensive makeup brand or coat and everyone goes OMG I MUST HAVE THIS, ZOELLA THINKS IT'S WORTH THE MONEY THEREFORE I SHOULD SPEND £60 ON THIS EYESHADOW PALETTE.

Happened to me as well tbh, it's peer pressure mostly! It's just much easier to connect with peers... and people who are way more well off than you... than it was before!!

ihatehash
07-12-2016, 01:45 PM
We have to remember the biggest difference the current teenagers have is that they have grown up with social media. Obviously we had social media but it was very different like Bebo was only about getting love and being in other peoples top 16's. I think there is a whole thing about living for the gram, spending more money, buying useless things etc for likes.
When I was 14 if someone got an expensive jacket I probably would have never known because I would only ever see them in school uniform.

Catchy
07-12-2016, 09:09 PM
We have to remember the biggest difference the current teenagers have is that they have grown up with social media. Obviously we had social media but it was very different like Bebo was only about getting love and being in other peoples top 16's. I think there is a whole thing about living for the gram, spending more money, buying useless things etc for likes.
When I was 14 if someone got an expensive jacket I probably would have never known because I would only ever see them in school uniform.

I agree with this, I think a big part of it has to do with social media! Every child seems to have it these days from 12 upwards, probably even younger than that actually it's just considered the norm to be on social media

e5
09-12-2016, 07:02 AM
All kids expectations are massively up on what it was like 8-10 years ago mainly because of social media and aspirations to be like the person they've just seen on snapchat or instagram. It's a false world out there!!

Zak
09-12-2016, 03:16 PM
I think its gotten worse. Personally £100 was a lot for my family to spend on Christmas. Now £100 gets you nothing.

Chris
09-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Kids seem terrible these days and I'm not surprised at all. I can only see them getting worse to be honest.

despect
10-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Children do seem so spoilt I remember when I was a kid I had to go out and find my own entertainment whereas most kids stay in all playing on playstations etc and hardly go outside. As for the comments about spending during christmas for kids it will get worse.. have you seen all the new technology coming out these days? Parents say hello to debt!

Reading this back I sound so old...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!