PDA

View Full Version : Free Movement between Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand

-:Undertaker:-
19-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Given Britain is leaving the European Union, Freedom of Movement (the ability to freely travel, work, live and settle) in countries like Spain, Germany, Poland, France, Italy, Portugal and others is going to end. For the vast majority of voters, immigration levels from the EU - especially poorer EU states - has been a major issue of the last decade and contributed to the Leave vote. On the other hand, younger voters and more mobile voters have viewed Free Movement as something like an opportunity for them to travel and experience places they otherwise would not have.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QI0GzWMoSu8/VuXueeAGOjI/AAAAAAAABEg/uqMePNflH1M053mk4kdpFWVD8BiFFfrZw/s1600/RCS%2BPoll.PNG

Many have floated an alternative. A Free Movement Agreement between Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/19/britons-arent-actually-opposed-mass-immigration-just-dont-want/

Britons aren't actually opposed to free movement. They just don't want it with the EU

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/01/19/Australian-Open-2017-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqnZlAO2SbRIMsCE2ccfSvVJcbic x2ChFHzaSysYaQe0M.jpg

For decades, the UK has discriminated in its immigration policies, depending upon where the immigrant was from. It has been easier to get into the UK if you were from, say, France than if you were from, say, Somalia. We thus have no deep-seated objection to discriminating between countries.

We are now leaving the EU. There appear to be two broad schools of thought on how our post-Brexit immigration policies should work. According to one idea, we should take the opportunity of Brexit to be completely non-discriminating, treating immigrants from all countries in the same way. According to the other idea, we should continue to give favourable treatment to immigrants from the EU, just not as favourable, relative to other countries, as we have had up to now.

But why are these the only two options? Why couldn’t we have more favourable treatment for immigrants from some other countries than the EU? Folk say: “Voters want immigration from everywhere curtailed.” But that just isn’t true. Specifically, last year the Royal Commonwealth Society conducted a survey of views on whether there should be completely movement between the Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK (the so-called “Canzuk” countries). That found three to one support in the UK, among those with an opinion (58 per cent including those “unsure”) for free movement within Canzuk. (Support was, incidentally, even higher among those in the other Canzuk states: five to one in Canada, seven to one in Australia, and eight to one in New Zealand.)

It’s clear from the opinion polls that Britons regard Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders qualitatively differently from folk of every other country. For example, in 2011, YouGov did a survey for Chatham House of “British Attitudes Towards the UK’s International Priorities”. One of the questions asked of the British survey respondents was “which of the following countries, if any, do you feel especially favourable towards?” It wasn’t close. 48 per cent said they felt especially favourable towards Australia, 47 per cent towards New Zealand and 44 per cent towards Canada.

The next most favourably regarded country, the US, was way behind on 31 per cent. In Europe, even the most well-regarded states, the Netherlands and Sweden, trailed badly on 24 and 23 per cent. (Ireland was only 18 per cent.)

I wondered what people made of this idea and specifically what those who voted Remain thought of the idea?

Personally, I am for it. We share the same Head of State, system of law, system of government, we're culturally similar, speak the same language. I don't view Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians as 'foreign' like I do with the French, Germans, Polish and Italians. I think Free Movement between us would tie us closer together aswell.

Thoughts?

peteyt
21-01-2017, 01:17 PM
For me immigration isnt the issue in itself but the number coming in. I work in a supermarket and see a lot of different cultures and while many can't speak a lot of english a lot of them are very friendly the kind that will stop me in the street to say hello recognising me from work.

I do think we need better controls definatley but we also need to look closer to home. The ammount of chavs i see regulary on benefits never working yet complaining at those stealing our jobs

onceawinner
21-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Interesting idea and a good prospect

I like the idea

Rachy
21-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Sure, come to canada guys <3 Bring a warm coat.

Zak
22-01-2017, 06:07 PM
We share a lot of the same values.

It would be interesting to see what New Zealand, Canada and Australia thought about it? I'm sure Dan can provide us with the info :P

23-01-2017, 01:40 AM
We share a lot of the same values.

It would be interesting to see what New Zealand, Canada and Australia thought about it? I'm sure Dan can provide us with the info :P

The polling done with the British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealander public I posted above, a majority in each country being for it. In terms of each government, every single one besides the British government has been in favour of lax rules regarding settlement and work for a long time. It was only a few decades ago that all four nations shared the same Imperial British passport, and ever since Britain has tightened the rules on the rest: much to our eternal shame.

There's already signs the Australian government will push for relaxing visas/settlement as part of an FTA. :)

Zak
23-01-2017, 02:35 PM
No problem with anyone coming here who shares our values and embraces our country.

As the Dutch PM has just said "If you don't like it here, then leave." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38718286

Empired
23-01-2017, 03:00 PM
But aren't English people (and americans to be fair but that's not my point) infamous for going to other countries and just shouting louder and louder in English until some1 understands us? Obviously a bit of a stereotype but there is truth behind it.

Omg maybe we need to stop worrying about who we're letting in and start focusing on saving the rest of the world from us crappy brits :O Nick Trumps idea and build a wall... but to keep us in :OOO

dbgtz
23-01-2017, 07:21 PM
So instead of having an open border which could be experienced by most people, we will have one(s) only the wealthier can afford?

It's funny to say people aren't opposed when it seems Australia was the highest with 48%...

Also funny how low Ireland is given the Irish special status in law lmao

scottish
23-01-2017, 07:40 PM
But aren't English people (and americans to be fair but that's not my point) infamous for going to other countries and just shouting louder and louder in English until some1 understands us? Obviously a bit of a stereotype but there is truth behind it.

Omg maybe we need to stop worrying about who we're letting in and start focusing on saving the rest of the world from us crappy brits :O Nick Trumps idea and build a wall... but to keep us in :OOO

genuinely thought for a minute you just called him Nick Trump

Zak
23-01-2017, 11:21 PM

Not our fault that the focus on languages in the UK is extremely poor

24-01-2017, 05:49 AM
So instead of having an open border which could be experienced by most people, we will have one(s) only the wealthier can afford?

Yes. That is exactly why it would work. Britons, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders have the same standards of living and wage levels which means if we did have Freedom of Movement between all four nations, we would not have the pressures of immigration as we have done with EU countries due to lower standards of living and low wages resulting in a one-way flow into our country. Not to mention the cultural clashes which wouldn't really exist with a UK-CA-AU-NZ zone, see the affinity polling.

The numbers are also pretty much balanced. Britain has population of 70m with Canada 35m, Australia 20m and New Zealand 5m (total = 60m). Apart from Britain, the other three are underpopulated and want population growth. It's a win-win deal for all four.

It's funny to say people aren't opposed when it seems Australia was the highest with 48%...

Looking at the wrong poll there, this is the polling on a potential FoM zone between the four Commonwealth realms.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QI0GzWMoSu8/VuXueeAGOjI/AAAAAAAABEg/uqMePNflH1M053mk4kdpFWVD8BiFFfrZw/s1600/RCS%2BPoll.PNG

Former Australian PM Tony Abbott has declared for the idea.

If we get something like this it would certainly be a crowning moment and an electoral vote winner for whoever delivered it. Imagine if, by 2020, Theresa May could go to the country with Brexit completed pledging to sign a Commonwealth Realm Free Movement zone. I would probably take advantage of it myself, including family. It'd be brilliant.

dbgtz
24-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Yes. That is exactly why it would work. Britons, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders have the same standards of living and wage levels which means if we did have Freedom of Movement between all four nations, we would not have the pressures of immigration as we have done with EU countries due to lower standards of living and low wages resulting in a one-way flow into our country. Not to mention the cultural clashes which wouldn't really exist with a UK-CA-AU-NZ zone, see the affinity polling.

The numbers are also pretty much balanced. Britain has population of 70m with Canada 35m, Australia 20m and New Zealand 5m (total = 60m). Apart from Britain, the other three are underpopulated and want population growth. It's a win-win deal for all four.

It would work, because the poor people in those countries won't be able to afford it?

Totalling the other 3 countries is absolutely meaningless data. Also you'd be mad to think the government of the UK hasn't sought population growth.

I'm not even against the idea in theory, it's just most people won't actually be able to take advantage of such an idea but somehow that's better than freedom of movement with other European states. Perhaps if it was the more developed half of Europe we wouldn't have this issue, but hey hum.

Looking at the wrong poll there, this is the polling on a potential FoM zone between the four Commonwealth realms.

There's no source for that poll, therefore making it more "wrong" than the other.

Actually I just realised there is, but they included the "unsure" option in it so it's pretty farcical to say 58% support it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!