PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair for online companies to sell your information?

Landon
26-03-2017, 06:35 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/GTY_telemarketer_sk_140114_33x16_1600.jpg

You might not know it, but if you've ever purchased anything online, you might have just put your name into a nice, long list of numbers to call.

Happens all the time with me and GoDaddy. Whenever I buy something, I am always spammed with calls, some from GoDaddy and some from telemarketers. It's obvious why they suddenly appear after I purchased the service.

Do you think it's okay for companies to sell your information to other companies looking to profit off of you? Let me know!

despect
26-03-2017, 08:20 PM
No why would it be? Youd hardly expect your own friends to sell your information so why a stranger?

FlyingJesus
26-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Yeah it's my fav thing ever

scottish
26-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Yes it's fair as you most likely didn't check/uncheck the button that says don't pass info to third party companies.

If you consistently have an issue with Godaddy then don't use Godaddy?

Yes it's annoying as hell but I don't consider it 'unfair', just make sure you check/uncheck the box that says you allow them to pass your info to third parties and that'll kill most calls. The only telemarket calls I get are from Sky iirc.

Landon
26-03-2017, 09:38 PM
If you consistently have an issue with Godaddy then don't use Godaddy?

I don't have an issue with them at all. I've used them for years - awesome host.

scottish
26-03-2017, 09:42 PM
You have issues with them calling you and selling your contact info any time you buy from em. Not hard to replace godaddy.

hungryfront
26-03-2017, 09:55 PM
I feel like there shouldn't be pre checked boxes anyway. You should have to give permission, not object. It's not "I'm allowed to murder you if you don't object" (slight exaggeration but same principle).

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Landon
27-03-2017, 12:24 PM
You have issues with them calling you and selling your contact info any time you buy from em. Not hard to replace godaddy.

No I don't. I just noticed that happens, and it strikes me because I only realized that was the reason I received calls afterwards. It doesn't matter to me. I won't throw a fit and leave a hosting service because I'm being called.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!