PDA

View Full Version : why does everyone joke about death these days?

lemons
11-04-2017, 08:51 PM
why does everyone joke about death these days?

like on social medias you will see memes about people wishing they were dead or just generally joking about being dead and you can tell they are joking but it is becoming more and more common as well as anxiety and depression!

i honestly think these are worrying times!

Landon
11-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Prob yeah because suicide is more common and more people wouldn't care dying? idk

dbgtz
11-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Sometimes it's probably a competition for attention.
Sometimes it's just a joke that looks bad from the outside.

Neversoft
11-04-2017, 09:56 PM
People have always joked about death and people have always been anxious and depressed. It just seems more visible and prevalent due to social media.

whoeful
12-04-2017, 02:31 AM
looooooooool

Post edited by Landon (Forum Moderator) - Please stay on topic, thanks.

wixard
12-04-2017, 10:33 AM
it's your age too, when you get older you realise yeah life actually is a bit shit and hard and workings not exactly fun and it's a very relatable feeling

-:Undertaker:-
12-04-2017, 11:28 AM
because phrases like "i'm so dead" have replaced words like tired/fed up as means of slang so we see it more.

Brad
12-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Also when people make these type of jokes, it does sterilizes the ideology behind dying. We make death so serious now a days that even a little joke can be blown out of proportion and construed to make it be an attack.
If we perceive the joke about death and those who are insensitive, I would disagree... Those who are able to joke about death (natural caused death like old age, etc.) Have truly outgrown the fear of death itself.

despect
12-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Death used to be such a taboo subject but now people hear and see it everywhere it becomes a everyday thing.

Neversoft
12-04-2017, 08:32 PM
now people hear and see it everywhere

I'm pretty sure — historically — people were well aware of death around them, what with countless wars and major epidemics such as the plague. It's just now people can discuss it more freely and readily because of social media. I wouldn't say death was a particularly taboo subject, although the risk of dying has decreased over the past 100-ish years, so now death is probably treated as more trivial.

Charlie
13-04-2017, 07:53 AM
It's probably just to make a joke/light of it, whether you're depressed/suicidal or just joking around. I guess it isn't really the type of thing to joke about but it's a sad fact of life that death eventually comes so you might as well just make a joke of it rather than being sad over it? As someone else said as well, it's become slang in some ways too so I guess people use it more in that way too.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!