PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of people as they were in the past

-:Undertaker:-
21-04-2017, 03:27 PM
alright so other day me and my mates were in bar and somehow height came up

and my mate, who i see like every week, says to me "your 6ft? you're not as tall as X [our other mate who wasn't there]" i was like are you KIDDING i've been taller than him since like age 17

but you know thinking about it i can see why he's thinking that even though its clearly not the case because in my mind when i think of my mates i still sorta see them half as they were when we were younger and in my mind i'm kinda looking upward to my mate who was very tall when we were younger

is this weird or do you get what i mean and does it apply to you. so like you're aware of what they look like now but subconsciously you're still thinking of them many years ago.

Chris
22-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Can't say I've ever thought about it that way, but I understand what you mean

nat965
22-04-2017, 10:06 PM
I've thought about it that way, yeah. I know what you mean.

Neversoft
01-05-2017, 12:08 AM
I don't really think of my close friends that way, as I see them or catch up with them often enough that I always have a clear vision of their current self. Friends I've lost touch with, though, are paused at a specific age or appearance in my mind, even though they're likely very different today. This thread made me recall some old school friends — I probably wouldn't even recognise them today. It would be a shock, for sure. I remember watching a documentary on survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings — one man being interviewed had lost all of his friends in a single moment, but explained how he wrote letters addressed to them each year. It was really heartbreaking, because he said though he's now old, he can only remember his friends as children. He broke down after that. I'm not sure if that's the sort of thing you're getting at, but memories often accentuate specific details.

FlyingJesus
01-05-2017, 03:13 PM
My friends age up along with me (ie: WE ARE ALL STILL NINETEEN I PROMISE) but their siblings will forever be the age I met them at. I see my bffls brother and sister out clubbing and I'm like what are you doing you're only 4

Jam
01-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Due to a lot of shit going on with myself and basically losing years to nothing, I still think of everyone (and often myself) as having just finished school.

Then I hear or see of them having kids or buying flats and it brings me back to reality.

LUCPIX
09-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Due to a lot of shit going on with myself and basically losing years to nothing, I still think of everyone (and often myself) as having just finished school.

Then I hear or see of them having kids or buying flats and it brings me back to reality.

Haaa, this is a terrible fact - all of my ex school mates are joining colleges (okay, not the TOP ones but they are joining), they aren't single anymore, even the ones that would constantly say that they couldn't find the other half of themselves, in the past. Even the ones who would never change their profile pictures, now they did - and how the hormones have been working on em!

And meanwhile I still feel like a skinny and bewildered 13 years old boy, using the same clothes and having the same opinions as before! I know we are always the only ones who cannot feel how much we've improved over the years but... well, this is weird huh

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!