PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Plans 2017

-:Undertaker:-
14-06-2017, 12:59 AM
What are your holiday plans so far for the year? Where have you already been or are you just booking your summer holiday now? Had any city breaks even at home? Any pretty firm plans for rest of the year? Post them below!

Here's mine.

Thus far this year been to:

Orlando, America https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png (family)

Saigon, Vietnam https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Flag_of_North_Vietnam.svg/23px-Flag_of_North_Vietnam.svg.png (friend)

London, Britain https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ae/Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg/23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png (friends)

Already booked/will shortly book:

Crete, Greece https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Flag_of_Greece.svg/23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png (family)

Prague, Czech Republic https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg/23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png (friend)

Planned/Options on table:

Bilbao, Spain https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png (friend)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Flag_of_Brazil_%281889-1960%29.svg/22px-Flag_of_Brazil_%281889-1960%29.svg.png OR Manila, the Philippines https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Philippines_Aguinaldo_flag_%28obverse%29.svg/23px-Philippines_Aguinaldo_flag_%28obverse%29.svg.png OR somewhere similar (friend)

So by end of year hopefully will have done three long-haul holidays and four short-haul. Had a really good year so far, 2018 I am probably certain of a trip to Strasbourg and/or Brussels to visit a friend who works for the EU and to the Netherlands to visit a friend who is moving there to do a Masters. Bit far away for now though so i'll start thinking of them come the start of 2018 maybe for the Spring.

Another year and still no trip to the place I want to go most though - travelling around India. Maybe 2018!!

I loveeee holidays, lately I haven't been going out purely to save for holidays. The ones I have left to book on that list I can afford now so literally in the next two weeks or so i'll have Prague and Rio sorted. Bilbao maybe end of summer. Literally the other day when family booked a holiday to Greece I got so excited and it's like a milestone to look forward to now in the back of my mind.

WBU

Landon
14-06-2017, 01:02 AM
I went to Colorado this summer. Great place to be.

If you want to go to the US again at some point, try Washington DC. It was amazing for someone that lives in a small town, and knowing your interest in politics, you'll be going at a great time. ;) ;) At the same time I went to North Carolina and spent some time on the beach. Amazing how the sand is so fine.

14-06-2017, 01:08 AM
I went to Colorado this summer. Great place to be.

If you want to go to the US again at some point, try Washington DC. It was amazing for someone that lives in a small town, and knowing your interest in politics, you'll be going at a great time. ;) ;) At the same time I went to North Carolina and spent some time on the beach. Amazing how the sand is so fine.

I've never fancied Washington DC tbh! It seems quite... soulless? Purpose-built political capitals like Brazilla, Canberra and Washington DC always tend to turn me off. Sterile. I like narrow, cramped streets + ruined buildings. Culture. My next trips to America will probably be New York City, San Francisco and a road/cycling trip one day through Alabama, Texas and Tennessee.

I try to follow the rule not to go the same place twice too - Barcelona last year was amazing but been there done that! :P

Landon
14-06-2017, 01:13 AM
I've never fancied Washington DC tbh! It seems quite... soulless? Purpose-built political capitals like Brazilla, Canberra and Washington DC always tend to turn me off. Sterile. I like narrow, cramped streets + ruined buildings. Culture. My next trips to America will probably be New York City, San Francisco and a road/cycling trip one day through Alabama, Texas and Tennessee.

I try to follow the rule not to go the same place twice too - Barcelona last year was amazing but been there done that! :P

That statement makes a good point actually. I noticed something about the people living in that area and that is that the people seem egotistical and rude. Living where I do in middle US, people are closer together than the crowded areas. I know you meant how everything is built but that's just another point to look for haha.

I've been to Texas and Tennessee. Both great places, if you want more comfortability while biking then Tennessee is your area of choice

lemons
14-06-2017, 01:14 AM
Not much planned for this year but will be in Berlin for Christmas

Next year I'm going on a fieldtrip to Singapore for just over a week and want to go to either Thailand/Vietnam/Indonesia/Hong Kong after! Depending on flight connections could end up in Mumbai or Doha too!

Then somewhere in Europe next summer, not sure where yet

14-06-2017, 01:21 AM
That statement makes a good point actually. I noticed something about the people living in that area and that is that the people seem egotistical and rude. Living where I do in middle US, people are closer together than the crowded areas. I know you meant how everything is built but that's just another point to look for haha.

A lot of purpose-built capitals are actually designed with wide boulevards, grid patterns and away from major population centres as a way of avoiding revolution. From what I have read in the past, Washington DC was certainly built with this in mind as was the new Burmese capital Naypyidaw and Paris was re-designed a couple of hundred years ago along these lines.

A lot of people don't see it but there's politics in everything. From street patterns to the architecture used itself.

I've been to Texas and Tennessee. Both great places, if you want more comfortability while biking then Tennessee is your area of choice

Is Tennessee very flat then?

Not much planned for this year but will be in Berlin for Christmas

Next year I'm going on a fieldtrip to Singapore for just over a week and want to go to either Thailand/Vietnam/Indonesia/Hong Kong after! Depending on flight connections could end up in Mumbai or Doha too!

Then somewhere in Europe next summer, not sure where yet

That'll be good. A lot of people tend to do Indochina at once as only short connecting flights!!! Singapore is supposed to be pricey tho.

Bombay is certainly top of my list too.

Landon
14-06-2017, 01:28 AM
Is Tennessee very flat then?

You know what I actually don't remember since its been years but its definitely not as flat as Kansas where I'm at haha. If you want to see nothing but plains for as long as you can see then come to Kansas. :P
Then again, people actually like that if they come from somewhere that has a lot of trees. Pretty boring here though, not a lot to do.

14-06-2017, 01:31 AM
You know what I actually don't remember since its been years but its definitely not as flat as Kansas where I'm at haha. If you want to see nothing but plains for as long as you can see then come to Kansas. :P
Then again, people actually like that if they come from somewhere that has a lot of trees. Pretty boring here though, not a lot to do.

I want to see the deepest darkest south like the horror films. Buy an old truck and cycle through the swamps and stop off at those bars/petrol stations with someone sitting in a rocking chair telling me that they don't get often see folk from 'these parts' :P

Like on that Top Gear episode.

Landon
14-06-2017, 01:33 AM
I want to see the deepest darkest south like the horror films. Buy an old truck and cycle through the swamps and stop off at those bars/petrol stations with someone sitting in a rocking chair telling me that they don't get often see folk from 'these parts' :P

Like on that Top Gear episode.

LOL like the movies where they're in the desert with cactus plants and tumbleweeds and the abandoned shops and stuff.

MKR&*42
14-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Probably gonna go to Germany in December again, not sure which place specifically but one of the following (or in a city near one of the following):

Rostock
Hamburg
Halle Westfalen (omg lol this is near Bielefeld, might do that)
Göttingen

Charlie
14-06-2017, 10:10 AM
I'm going Finland for a week in August to meet my girlfriends family. We were going to go Barcelona in July for my birthday but my girlfriends manager was an ass when it came to giving her the week off. Hopefully next year, we can afford more holidays and go Barcelona and maybe a trip to the US.

Also went to London for the day in May to meet one of her friends, and going Brighton possibly this Sunday to meet friends.

Zak
16-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Well I've already been to

Puerto Rico
US Virgin Islands
Antigua
St Lucia
Barbados
Bonaire
Curacao
Aruba

This year so not expected to go anywhere else. I'm likely going to Wales in July.

Should be buying a house this year so no more holidays!

James
16-06-2017, 10:06 PM
never go abroad. I'd love to go to ireland tho, but wont happen this year

Neversoft
16-06-2017, 10:21 PM
No holiday plans, or at least no feasible ones. My family adore cliche summer holidays, whereas I am more interested in visiting somewhere like Seoul or Iceland. Don't know how much fun I would have on my lonesome. My friends are too poor and non-committal to tag along.

someboyrafa
19-06-2017, 11:21 PM
going nowhere holidays/travelling is over rated

e5
20-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Spent 2 weeks in Tenerife

effurt
04-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Just gonna stay in Ireland this Summer, cos if we did go away I have to come home slap bang in the middle :(

King-Tom
04-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Going down devon for 4 nights in 2 weeks

05-07-2017, 12:18 AM
Finally booked Prague, Czech Republic tonight. Like 2nd to 6th August. Go to Gouves in Greece on 18th July until the 28th July so off the plane and off. Hoping to book Miranda in Spain tomorrow for like early August too!

Zak
21-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Got back from Wales a few days ago.

Partner has booked a holiday for next year. We will be visiting Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Greece.

Phil
21-07-2017, 09:37 AM
I was in London in January and myself and my gf were hoping to either go to Amsterdam or a sun holiday on August but neither of us could get time off work so we are just doing a little Irish holiday :P Next year we aren't going anywhere because we want to go to Orlando in 2019 so that will take some saving up!

Absently
21-07-2017, 12:49 PM
We are hoping to go on holiday in November, depending on my new job and how soon I can book some holidays!!

Zak
21-07-2017, 05:43 PM
From Wales, climbing Snowdon

http://i.imgur.com/ai8iMtS.jpg

SeptemberNum
24-07-2017, 04:48 AM
Probably, we are visiting some of the beautiful spots in Asia. Included in our plans are Thailand and Singapore for this year.

09-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Just booked my 6th holiday this year (7th if you include weekend in London) to Brussels, the Kingdom of Belgium https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg/23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png

I've been to Belgium once before but it was ten years ago with the school on a World War I field trip so I only really did smaller towns and the countryside. Never been to the city of Brussels before so should be cool. My Czech friend I am going to see works for the EU there so he's said he'll give me a tour of the EU "Parliament" *smuggles in stinkbombs* so should be good.

Going 17th Nov - 21st Nov.

DaimC
09-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Holiday plans? Never heard of those, maybe if i had the money and someone to go with..

Sonnynixon
23-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Going no where :(

24-11-2017, 05:00 AM
whiskey and coke 9 euro each in brussels!!! the thieves. still can't complain at £50 return flight

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!