PDA

View Full Version : Mispronounced names

nat965
28-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Would you correct someone who pronounced your name wrong? is it rude?

Not rude at all. That being said if you are one of those pretentious people that intentionally spell a name like Airwreaka instead of Erica. You bring it on yourself

Neversoft
28-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Sometimes people pronounce my surname wrong, and I find it very annoying, especially considering my surname really isn't difficult to say. I generally don't say anything, but roll my eyes to the moon and back when they aren't looking.

LUCPIX
06-08-2017, 12:23 AM
Lucas is a so overused name in Brazil that it never was a problem to me, really. My surname, though - Marques - is frequenly mispronounced as Mike, Michael, Marcos...

Charlie
06-08-2017, 08:49 AM
I don't have any issues with people mispronouncing my name, as it's well known. My surname is common as well, so no issues there.

FlyingJesus
06-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Sometimes people pronounce my surname wrong, and I find it very annoying, especially considering my surname really isn't difficult to say. I generally don't say anything, but roll my eyes to the moon and back when they aren't looking.

Chirstoff Chirstofferssen

Absently
06-08-2017, 09:24 PM
my name is so simple you really couldn't pronounced it wrong if you wanted to! in my new job it involves speaking to a lot of people on a daily basis and you come across a lot of names ive never heard of so i always try my best with pronunciation!!

Expling
07-08-2017, 02:53 AM
hard to pronounce mine wrong but people always ask
is ur name thomas or can i call u tom it's easier

Sho
07-08-2017, 03:48 AM
people say my name wrong all the time - they usually call me Sinead or "Show-nd". i don't get annoyed the first 1-2 times, i'll just politely correct them.

my name isn't difficult to say, it's just that we pronounce letters slightly differently and some people purposely say it wrong over and over again cos they find it funny and idgi??? just say it properly???

Neversoft
07-08-2017, 08:47 AM
Chirstoff Chirstofferssen

Hey, now. I'm not Icelandic.

Alkaz
08-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Occasionally people seem to miss out the R in my surname. Depending on who it is depends on whether or not I correct them.

e5
08-08-2017, 08:53 PM
my name is so simple you really couldn't pronounced it wrong if you wanted to! in my new job it involves speaking to a lot of people on a daily basis and you come across a lot of names ive never heard of so i always try my best with pronunciation!!

I never ring people with names I can’t pronounce lol
or I just ask for the manager or whatever their position is lol or conjur something up

Stephen
09-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Hate it when people call me step-hen

-:Undertaker:-
17-08-2017, 12:38 AM
nope my names plain and easy

ebbw
17-08-2017, 12:48 AM
my name is claudia it's pronounced cloud ee ah
i'm half german
i do not bother correcting ppl cos half the time they're rude abt it anyway like 'that's not how y pronounce it' sure jan i don't know how to pronounce my own name ok cool

Sloths
17-08-2017, 07:57 AM
people say my name wrong all the time - they usually call me Sinead or "Show-nd". i don't get annoyed the first 1-2 times, i'll just politely correct them.

my name isn't difficult to say, it's just that we pronounce letters slightly differently and some people purposely say it wrong over and over again cos they find it funny and idgi??? just say it properly???

How are you meant to pronounce it?? I feel like I've been saying it in my head wrong this entire time now :(

Sho
17-08-2017, 02:44 PM
How are you meant to pronounce it?? I feel like I've been saying it in my head wrong this entire time now :(

like sho (as in shore) and ned (as in neddy)
sho-ned

Hannah
17-08-2017, 06:51 PM
I have a very simple name. A lot of the younger people can say it correctly as it's now linked to 13 Reasons Why.

I get many people add letters into my name like Barker... or Baxter on one occasion. WHAT? That bugs me because it's almost too stupid to be a true misunderstanding.

If I had a more complicated name, it probably wouldn't bother me.

- - - Updated - - -

How is it spelt, Sioned I imagine?

Sho
17-08-2017, 07:43 PM
How is it spelt, Sioned I imagine?

yes :D

Absently
17-08-2017, 10:38 PM
like sho (as in shore) and ned (as in neddy)
sho-ned

hello shoreneddy

Sho
17-08-2017, 10:59 PM
hello shoreneddy

hi kellie

Hannah
20-08-2017, 03:15 PM
yes :D

Admittedly it's not the most common name, but common enough and not unusual enough to be mispronounced a lot (I would have thought anyway, but that might just be me)

MissBabyP
20-08-2017, 03:46 PM
ahahah my name has like 934402 different pronunciations depending on the country im in.

but in portugal we pronounce it pah-uh-la ( aka accent on both pa and u) lol, when i lived in the uk they kept spelling it wrong lol

Sho
20-08-2017, 04:14 PM
ahahah my name has like 934402 different pronunciations depending on the country im in.

but in portugal we pronounce it pah-uh-la ( aka accent on both pa and u) lol, when i lived in the uk they kept spelling it wrong lol

oo i've been saying it like paw-lah my bad

DemonSteven
21-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Mispronunciation towards my last name is so common! All my teachers butcher my last name constantly but I don't mind it's something you get used to haha

Matt
23-09-2017, 05:25 AM
Depends on the situation.

Usually at uni I get called Matthew in the first week of class, so I usually just say that its Matt (although they don't say it wrong, that's my preference).

.:TaylorSwift:
26-09-2017, 05:44 AM
When people can't pronounce my name correct I know they are trying to hard. They will add letters that don't exist which I will usually correct. As for my last name. I will say it in Spanish, but people just are very confused so I "english-wash" to make it sound simple.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!