PDA

View Full Version : climate change is real?

zammy149
11-09-2017, 05:41 AM
I would like to hear some opinions on climate change. do you think it is real? or just a hoax like the documentary blue beats green seems to think and Ronald trump. I personally think the the day after tomorrow has predicted the future. I mean look at all these hurricanes going on. The atmosphere is getting warmer and causing mega storms.

RuthOnToast
11-09-2017, 09:20 AM
These been climate changes for millions of years way before us humans around

Neversoft
11-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Ronald Trump.

Natural disasters aren't a new phenomenon, and you can't really say The Day After Tomorrow has predicted the future. That film basically features an ice age, which are known to have occurred millions of years ago. Also, hurricanes have always been a thing, they even occur in specific seasons would you believe it, but I do think humankind has some sort of impact on the climate. Can't really say to what extent.

-:Undertaker:-
11-09-2017, 01:06 PM
I think it is scare story industry that makes a lot of money out of fears. From Ebola to the 1980s New Ice Age, from Asbestos, the Millenium Bug, DDT and even leaving the EU - a lot of people enjoy being afraid and will fall for these things. I used to be like that, and I quite enjoyed end of world thoughts/scenarios whilst at the same time being scared. With age though you realise these scares come and go and are a lot more relaxed and cautious when somebody tells you that you need to do X in order to save the world before it is too late. As great as the achievements of mankind are, we're still a tiny flek on the Earth.

Vineyards used to extend as far north as Scotland in Roman Britain. I'm not worried in the slightest. That being said, that doesn't mean I am for pollution and I am actually a bit of a tree hugger myself - planted over a dozen (now mature) trees in my garden and hundreds of spring bulbs in my grass which I leave for months afterwards providing pollen for bees and cover for young frogs and insects in the early summr. I also believe councils should be required by law to line the streets with trees just as house builders are now obliged to plant X amount of trees for a certain size size.

https://static.skepticalscience.com/pics/kobashi2011_1000yrs.png

And as for Hurricane Irma currently hitting British Caribbean colonies, Cuba and the United States - to say these weather events are becoming more extreme is a very big assumption to make. Even going back to the beginning of modern scientific monitoring of these events only takes you back to the 1800s - less than 200 years is a teeny tiny amount of time in terms of weather and climate cycles and actually tells us nothing because statistically it is such a small amount of time. Ice core samples and extinction/rock/soil samples are the way to read the climate and extreme weather events so that you gauge the bigger picture.

Lewis
11-09-2017, 07:35 PM
While I haven't done any extensive research, I honestly just don't believe in man-made climate change - or at least how it is portrayed. While we obviously have some effect on it, I think it's too minimal to be of any real significance. The effects on local areas as a result of pollution, etc, are of course very real however.

I do however hate to think of all those beautiful forests and trees being cut down, humans are ruining this planet in many ways and always will!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!