PDA

View Full Version : Learning a language

-:Undertaker:-
22-09-2017, 10:06 PM
hey all

currently learning Spanish (started this week and no that's not what my icon is for) but wondered what's the best way for those of you who've learnt a language to learn it? I go to classes once a week and its very like on the ball, lots of talking in Spanish rather than writing down lists which is the best way to learn. also downloaded DuoLingo and using it every night which is really good app

but wondered if there's any tips people have? and at the start is it right for me to be thinking in English still like translating it in my head? or should i try stop that? or wait till i know a bit more.

help/suggestions appreciated x :)

Sho
22-09-2017, 11:27 PM
I've been learning German for the past month or so and DuoLingo is great for learning and practicing, but I didn't think it helped me much in actually forming sentences of my own and carrying out conversations other than "hello, how are you, good bye" if this makes sense? Definitely keep using it though. Other things I recommend are:

- writing diary entries to practice your writing. or if you don't wanna do a diary, do a personal "blog" type thing where you focus on one subject - it'll help you learn vocabulary based on your interests and help you out what you learn in classes/Duolingo to use
- Italki website is good for learning to speak the language. You chat with fluent speakers and actual teachers and they give you feedback and help you improve, although might not be as useful if you're taking a class
- read news websites in the language. write down any new words you learn and want to remember
- practice. I know this sounds obv but I've gone a week without practicing now and i already feel like I've forgotten a lot.

Learning a language is fun, but it's a lot of work and it requires a lot of commitment to master. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of tips but I wish you the best with it!!

(I'm on phone so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense)

LUCPIX
23-09-2017, 01:31 AM
The best alternative I had while trying to master a new language (in this case, English) was to, shamelessly, join a certain group of people whose main language is the one I was looking after. In the early months of "practical practicing" (if that makes sense) is a pain, really, but, as a baby who abandons the goo-goo-ish in favor of a solid communicating system, the process is slow, painful and handy.

And it kind of worked to me. 12 months later... and I've made some good friends in Habbox. (:

The reciprocal is true. We both know that the Spanish Habbo is one of the most crowded ones, so it could be one of mandatory stops you'd rather to choose at the moment. They are cool people, amigo.

MightyMagician
23-09-2017, 01:45 AM
Undertaker, take this little bit of information and keep it in mind well: Learning any foreign language past the critical period as if you were born speaking it is next to impossible unless it's in your blood. I've had a friend who actually had to wait years to learn Spanish, yet she spoke like she had known it for ages. The best you can really do is experiment and find out what works for you the most. Good luck.

Zak
05-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Download the BBC news app in Spanish then start deciphering new stories :)

07-10-2017, 04:44 AM
Download the BBC news app in Spanish then start deciphering new stories :)

Yeah my friend who is quite fluent in it now always read El Pais to practice. Now he watches Spanish TV shows.

11-10-2017, 05:46 AM
really strange actually how similar many of the words are to English... thing i struggle most to remember is the connectives like La, Un, Es, Esta etc i always get them mixed up on DuoLingo.

Neversoft
11-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Duolingo is a godsend.

Mikey
11-10-2017, 04:06 PM
I did French in school but never really took interest in it because it was mandatory. I know the odd bit but couldn't have a full on conversation with another French speaker. I would like to learn a language, with apps these days I might well do so.. just need to figure out what language is useful to learn. :)

Neversoft
11-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Duolingo is a godsend.

As soon as I say that the app updates and they lock progression behind a paywall. :(

Sho
11-10-2017, 07:44 PM
As soon as I say that the app updates and they lock progression behind a paywall. :(

i haven't used it for a while, you have to pay now?

Neversoft
11-10-2017, 09:08 PM
i haven't used it for a while, you have to pay now?

They've added the function a bunch of mobile games use, where you have 'energy' that deceases the more you use the app. I think you have five charges, and you lose one every time you make a mistake. You either have to wait for your energy to replenish, which takes hours, or use the in-app currency to refill your energy. It's really disappointing. The app seemed very bountiful before, and some days when I had spare time I would go through multiple lessons. Now there are barriers that hinder your progression, although thankfully any older lessons you have already completed seem free to repeat as much as you want.

Sho
11-10-2017, 09:24 PM
They've added the function a bunch of mobile games use, where you have 'energy' that deceases the more you use the app. I think you have five charges, and you lose one every time you make a mistake. You either have to wait for your energy to replenish, which takes hours, or use the in-app currency to refill your energy. It's really disappointing. The app seemed very bountiful before, and some days when I had spare time I would go through multiple lessons. Now there are barriers that hinder your progression, although thankfully any older lessons you have already completed seem free to repeat as much as you want.

Oh, I know what you mean, the hearts? I used to do a new lesson until I ran out of mistakes, then I'd practice older ones because for each practice you gained one "health" back. So I'd practice 5 times, then carry on with new lessons. On the website, there's no health and I find it much easier to use too. :)

Neversoft
11-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Oh, I know what you mean, the hearts? I used to do a new lesson until I ran out of mistakes, then I'd practice older ones because for each practice you gained one "health" back. So I'd practice 5 times, then carry on with new lessons. On the website, there's no health and I find it much easier to use too. :)

Oh, you can gain health back by doing older lessons again? Is this not new? I must have had an older version, or since I'm learning Korean which they only released last month, maybe they didn't enable this until now. That's good, then. I also didn't realise there even was a desktop version!

What daily XP amount do you guys have yours set to?

Sho
11-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Oh, you can gain health back by doing older lessons again? Is this not new? I must have had an older version, or since I'm learning Korean which they only released last month, maybe they didn't enable this until now. That's good, then. I also didn't realise there even was a desktop version!

What daily XP amount do you guys have yours set to?

If you click on your health it SHOULD tell you that you can practice for health, but if not you can just choose a lesson and select practice on that. I'm hoping that still works because if they've removed that option it definitely sucks :( I prefer the desktop version because it actually explains the grammar to you properly and gives you examples, whereas I felt like on the app they just threw new words at you. Although I've only used it for German so it might not be the case for other languages. :)

TinyFroggy
06-10-2018, 08:06 AM
I think most of the pro tips is to watch series and movies with that language as much as possible. By time, remove the subtitles and just indulge.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!