PDA

View Full Version : Britain's tourism numbers continuing to soar

-:Undertaker:-
09-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Britain's tourism numbers continuing to soar

Government's target of 40 million inbound visitors set to be broken two years early

http://noticias.universia.es/net/images/cultura/-/-e/-ed/-edificio-royal-liver.png
Liverpool has seen a boom in tourism

The surge in the number of tourists visiting Britain since the referendum has put the UK on course to beat VisitBritain’s target of 40 million annual inbound visits a whole two years early.

Tourism is now worth a whopping £127 billion per year to the British economy as tourists continue to flock to the UK in record numbers thanks to the double “Brexit effect” of a lower pound and greater global interest in the UK. Even the constant stream of apocalyptic Remainer doom-mongering isn’t putting the crowds off…

http://image.assets.pressassociation.io/v2/image/production/f3299cfeb5f182bd64dd6955329fe76fY29udGVudHNlYXJjaC wxNTM5MTY2MzIz/2.39023365.jpg?w=640

Inbound visits reached a record 39.2 million in 2017 – up 4% on the previous year – while spending rose by 9% to £24.5 billion.

Tourism chiefs said the industry is a “£127 billion powerhouse” and urged the Government to give it more support through a sector deal under the Industrial Strategy.

There has also been a spike in domestic tourism, with visits and spending up 6% year-on-year in 2017.

British Tourist Authority chairman Steve Ridgway said Brexit is the “most important” challenge facing the tourism industry.

Tourism Minister Michael Ellis said Britain’s tourism industry is “booming”.

He went on: “Tourism shows the world the best of our nation.

“As we approach the UK’s exit from the European Union, we are absolutely committed to helping the industry continue to grow, promoting the country as a must-visit destination and ensuring that local communities benefit.”

Sounds like all the nonsense about becoming insular, pulling up the drawbridge and cutting ourselves off was... nonsense.

I know in Liverpool we currently have a shortage of hotels and the industry can't build fast enough to keep up with demand. You try booking a room in Liverpool city centre when an event is on, football or a warm summer - you'll pay a lot. In addition, the amount of Spanish tourists I see in the city is crazy - and from speaking to my own classes they're crazy about visiting Britain.

With the middle classes in Asia (specifically China and India) growing very fast, it isn't that crazy to think that at some point we could actually reach the scenario where more people are visiting as tourists than what our population is at.

Thoughts?

Seatherny
13-10-2018, 08:02 AM
The actual reason is that currently the pound is significantly weaker than it was prior to Brexit, making it cheaper for tourists to visit UK.

TinyFroggy
13-10-2018, 11:39 AM
i wish to go to uk someday. to meet all you lovely people <3

Seatherny
13-10-2018, 11:27 PM
i wish to go to uk someday. to meet all you lovely people <3

lovely? ha!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!