PDA

View Full Version : Suicide

Forest-Law
17-09-2005, 08:08 PM
I recently read about a young girl who had taken her life after discovering and reading pro-suicide websites on the internet. Sites which glorify suicide are dangerous.

Suicide can be a deadly outcome of depression. Teens who are depressed are much more likely than other teens to attempt suicide. Among teens who develop major depression, as many as 7 percent (or 1 in 14) will commit suicide as young adults.

www.1000deaths.com

I find this site really moving and touching. On the right hand side is the photo memorial section and the written memorials. It makes me really sad to see fathers and husbands, mothers and wives, daughters and sons all who have taken their own life becuase they were unhappy. Some photos come with links to personal websites, with stories and comments from family members. They deal with all the issues which are the cause and the constant reason for depression, such as bullying etc. Don't have sad music on, the stories are really touching.

Some of my favourite quotes on the website;

I dropped a tear in the ocean, when they find it I will stop loving you.

"In tribute to Levi Cole Johnson 1/19/87-1/31/05
Hi Baby - Just wanted to tell You I love You and Miss You more than You could have imagined - I need You back home Levi - it's just not the same - we're not the same - never will be again - I Love You my precious Son forever and always - Miss You - Love your heartbroken mom"

In tribute to Keith George (Jackson)
lost at 22 but finally found the peace you so badly wanted. sleep tight good night

Other sites dealing with issues like this;

http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/suicide.html

http://mentalhelp.net/psyhelp/chap6/chap6j.htm

http://www.yspp.org/

The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop,
on what day or what hour.

Now is the only time you have,
So live it with a will.
Don't wait until tomorrow,
The hands may then be still.

Code
17-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Hmm. In Roman times it was considered perfectly acceptable to carry a bottle of poison around with you so that you could kill yourself at anytime.

What a great time to live!

~Code

Tommy
17-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Suicide is the most selfish act you can do, if you think about it, the only person youre making happy is youreself, youre not helping anyone. Youre making other peoples lives worse, if i ever became that depressed i would think twice, i mean if you kill youreself how will you ever know how great a life you might have?

Forest-Law
17-09-2005, 09:00 PM
true, but i also feel that something can be done to help people sufferering from depression. that what makes it sad though. knowing someone has lost a son or daughter, a father or a mother.

Thrilled
17-09-2005, 10:51 PM
People who commit suicide are indeed selfish. I've often thought about suicide but I'd never do it, purely because I know how much it would do to my family and friends. If I didn't have any family when I was going through a really bad patch, I would of done it 'cause I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere and my existance didn't really matter. But you've just gotta get on with it. Things do get better eventually and you realise how unimportant certain issues were.

Kids who do go through with it though must be going though hell. If more of them thought about who's lives they were a part of, there would be fewer suicides. But it is your life and you're allowed to do whatever you want with it...unless you're a part of some religion or cult.

Eamonn
17-09-2005, 11:48 PM
yea but you will get depressed ones that are like ''yeah i kill myself i iz wantin attention *gets spork stabs self !11*

Bear-Max
17-09-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm actually afraid of death.

It's one of those things that I lay in bed at night and dread in any form.

Besides... Two of the most popular ways that people kill themselves make me cringe. I'd hate to die by suffocation (hanging) and I have a weird thing about my wrists that sends a shiver down my spine.

Gaby
18-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Tis may sound pretty stupid but, one time like when I was 11 I had a song stuck in my head when I was trying to fall asleep, it was a pretty scary song but anywayz I was crying and freakin' out and I was like I was going to kill myself but I didn't I talked with my mom and night, and shes like I can keep thee TV on that kinda helped......I told you this was pretty stupid

Forest-Law
18-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm actually afraid of death.

It's one of those things that I lay in bed at night and dread in any form.

Besides... Two of the most popular ways that people kill themselves make me cringe. I'd hate to die by suffocation (hanging) and I have a weird thing about my wrists that sends a shiver down my spine.

i used to have that. i was so scred at nights it was unbelievable and it was over stupid stuff like i'm just gonna wake up buried alive and whatnot. i couldn't even go upstairs if the lights weren't on. thankfully, that stage of my life is over and has been over a very long time.

if i was to commit suicide i would get a gun and go to the tallest building i can find (and which would be easy to get to the roof) and then jump off and before i hit the ground shoot myself. yeh, it will be hard, but there are ways around it.

not that i'm going to do anythin like that anyway :rolleyes:

Eamonn
18-09-2005, 12:23 AM
I would take an overdose the peaceful way of sucicide and i use to get scared some nights that i might not wake up the next day like on xmas eve

Bear-Max
18-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I just wouldn't go there :P

I'd hate to have my life cut short. I know it sounds stupid, but I couldn't bear the idea of not knowing next weeks football scores, what I'll get in my GCSEs or even what happens in the final Harry Potter book.

Gaby
18-09-2005, 12:32 AM
I shiver when I think about suicide

Code
18-09-2005, 07:51 AM
If i had to do it, I'd do it with car fumes. At least that makes you high before killin' ya!

~Code

discolored
18-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I tried to commit suicide this summer o_O. it ****ed that I didn't have the guts totally so I just spent a night in the crisis triage center in the hospital and listened to all the crazy people having conversations with the voices in their head. ;S.

for some people it's the only way out.

ilovejordan
18-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I tried to commit suicide this summer o_O. it ****ed that I didn't have the guts totally so I just spent a night in the crisis triage center in the hospital and listened to all the crazy people having conversations with the voices in their head. ;S.

for some people it's the only way out. I totally agree i have tried it. And i didn't sucseed thank god. I'm not afraid of death and when its my time i'll go. People who try to kill their selves are NOT selfish many believe people woul be better off without them & kill their selves so that is nott selfish.

Excuse my bad spelling.. :rolleyes:

ASHFELT
18-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Suicide is the most selfish act you can do, if you think about it, the only person youre making happy is youreself, youre not helping anyone. Youre making other peoples lives worse, if i ever became that depressed i would think twice, i mean if you kill youreself how will you ever know how great a life you might have?

I agree commiting an act like this can hugely impact your family and friends

Cool-kitten007
18-09-2005, 11:35 AM
You only have 1 Life Live it and be happy with it

Tommy
18-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I totally agree i have tried it. And i didn't sucseed thank god. I'm not afraid of death and when its my time i'll go. People who try to kill their selves are NOT selfish many believe people woul be better off without them & kill their selves so that is nott selfish.

Excuse my bad spelling.. :rolleyes:

But it is selfish, because no matter what youre harming someone else! You think youre killing youreself and making thing betters but youre not, because there is always one person in the world that loves you. And if you kill youreself you have ruined that persons life.

Eamonn
18-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Yea and my dads friend found someone he loved dead and his marriage broke up , he went on drugs and booze and ended up killing his self all because of it

Jashmine
18-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Pro suicide sites are disgusting.
What's worse is the online discussion groups that offer help to people who want to kill themselves. They say they are all there for the same reason, and help people do it RIGHT. >_<
I read about that somewhere, but I can't find it..

EDIT: Found it ='] (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/06/08/MN114902.DTL)
It's pretty long.

Eamonn
18-09-2005, 11:54 AM
What's worse is the online discussion groups that offer help to people who want to kill themselves. They say they are all there for the same reason, and help people do it RIGHT. >_<

EDIT: Found it ='] (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/06/08/MN114902.DTL)
It's pretty long.
Thats well bad =o

discolored
18-09-2005, 09:44 PM
suicide is both a selfish and selfless act. for some people, as has been mentioned earlier, it makes things easier on those around them. but for other people, it makes things worse. for the selfish acts, i don't think it really matters to them, considering they're dead anyway. and no one's going to commit suicide without having reason, maybe you guys should consider that before you point fingers..

in my case it was there was no other way out, no one seemed to care even after the attempt.. and there's still no signs of caring anywhere. it's not really selfish if no one notices.

Tommy
18-09-2005, 09:49 PM

It's pretty long.

Omg that made my mouth drop...

Thrilled
18-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Btw, I was just wondering how you fail to commit suicide. If I had fully come to the decision and there was no doubt in my mind that I was gonna do it, I'd make sure I went through with it. Ie. There wouldn't be another outcome. I'm not having a go, just pondering.

discolored
18-09-2005, 10:52 PM
my mom walked in

mousemutant
30-09-2005, 11:11 PM
I think suicide is such a pathe easy way option. If life's that bad, make changed yourself. I say the meaning of life is whatever you make it out to be, and try to look on the brightside, there's no point in being a miserable b*st*rd....

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!