PDA

View Full Version : The Bird Flu Panic

Wobegong
18-10-2005, 02:36 AM
The World Health Organization has warned people against panic-buying stocks of a drug they hope will protect them against bird flu.

The WHO stressed that Tamiflu could reduce the effect of the illness but was not a vaccine to prevent it. A BBC correspondent says the WHO wants governments to stockpile Tamiflu, but fears a public run on the drug.
Meanwhile bird flu's spread across Europe continued with confirmation that it had reached Greece.
Scientists have warned that a strain of the disease deadly to humans could cause a lethal pandemic if it mutates into a form that can be spread from person to person.

Following reports that European pharmacists were selling out of Tamiflu, the WHO's pandemic alert chief Michael Ryan said: "WHO at this point does not advise for individuals to stockpile this drug for any purpose.

"There is no indication at this stage for anyone to be taking this drug other than the very high-risk groups in areas in which the avian disease has become a problem," including poultry farmers and medical staff, he said.

The manufacturer of Tamiflu, Swiss drugs company Roche, has said it would donate packs of the anti-influenza drug to Turkey and Romania, where bird flu has appeared, as well as to the WHO, and was stepping up production of the drug.
In Greece, the agriculture ministry said a form of the bird flu virus had been found in a turkey on a farm on the Aegean Sea island of Oinouses.

Twelve swans have also tested positive for bird flu in a second cluster in Romania, and the authorities have confirmed the virus has been detected at a third location in the Danube delta.
And the European Commission has ordered urgent tests on dead birds found in Croatia.
At this stage, none of the new outbreaks in Greece or Romania have been confirmed as the lethal H5N1 form of the bird flu virus, which has been linked to more than 60 human deaths in Asia.
However, tests are continuing, and the Greek outbreak is known to involve the H5 strain, of which the deadly form is a member.
An outbreak of H5N1 was confirmed in Romania last week, and it has also been detected in Turkey.

http://www.imageshackuk.com/files/1018/birdflu.gif

The H5N1 strain remained largely in South-East Asia until this summer, when Russia and Kazakhstan both reported outbreaks.
Scientists fear it may be carried by migrating birds to Europe and Africa but say it is hard to prove a direct link with bird migration.

So Get to your GP and Get your Flu Jabs Now!. You never know if or when Bird Flu will Hit the Uk. Beter to be safe than sorry.

Rebecca
18-10-2005, 02:38 AM
well.. tbh i think this flu is silly "/ no one is putting me off chicken sandwiches :D

Wobegong
18-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Lol i dont think People are trying to Put you of your sandwitches maybe save your life lol.

Rawr
18-10-2005, 06:21 AM
They don't know how you pick it up, it isn't nessarily by eating some sort of bird.

Eamonn
18-10-2005, 06:51 AM
So far people have got it from birds but there worrying because when someone with the normal flu gets bird flu the two flu's merge and then the bird flu will be able to be passed on human to human

wwe-rko4eva
18-10-2005, 07:01 AM
Yes, i get what your saying there eamonns but i think that is there main worry is if it passes human to human.

TealArms
18-10-2005, 07:09 AM
At the moement you get bird flu from working with birds, i would not worry as it is due here next year, also you can't catch birdflu from eating chicken as all birds are tested for it. If we do get bird flu here in the uk thousands of birds will killed and they we going to put a 3km around the infected area

DaveTaylor
18-10-2005, 09:58 AM
i have heard its caught by dead birds decompossing and some chemical reaction with you and the germs or something

burton-x
18-10-2005, 09:59 AM
We should be ok for a while now, And the flu jabs wont do anything as every virus is different...

Kimmeh.
18-10-2005, 10:31 AM
well.. tbh i think this flu is silly "/ no one is putting me off chicken sandwiches :D

LMAO Rebecca, bless ya! Nothings stopping me from eating Chicken Noogets either.... Although they may stop serving them soon since they're brutally killing them :'( How mean >.< Oh yeah they showed the images, they're killing swans and geese now >.<

TealArms
18-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Swans! wow those are royal birds and are usaly not allowed to kill them
anyway best get back to ma lunch break lol cya l8er

Adam$
18-10-2005, 12:51 PM
apparently it can only be caught by people that work with birds. i'm worried, but I don't let it get to me. If I die from it, I suppose that'll be ballsed up.

Kitten3000
18-10-2005, 12:55 PM
i heard about the bird flu my mum got worried so now she wants me to have 3 injections to make sure i don't catch even though i don't work with birds

Wobegong
18-10-2005, 01:27 PM
They recon that the Bird Flu probaly wont hit the US but might hit the Uk by Christmas Or Jan next year

Grig
18-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Very worying first case in Romania Its spreading still not mutated to kill people but it can be deaDLY IF YOU catch it off birds. There still isn't one single good cure of the virus and ppl will continue dying until they find a good and helping cure for this

THE HISTORY OF THE DISEASE:7 years ago the desease had beeen created lol. It was first spotted in chickens in Viatnam then spread to Thailand and Hong Kong. It still did kill at those times. Then luckily it went away for a while and in the early stages of this year (2005) or even late 2004 it came bak :( . Starting in Viatnam again :S, and this time it spread to Russia and is moving in toward Europe. Now in Turkey one of the first Turkeys caught the disease so now they aren't only in those delicious chickens. Now it spread to Romania with worrying signs that it will mutate to a human to human form of the disease and that it will transfer towrds Europe and America.

manga21
18-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Lol This could be like black Death all over again, But Doubt it. I AM Worried, I Dont mean to worry anyone But You know, This is hard to explain, Right We all think were Invisible Yes we Do It wont Happen to us thast what we all think. And Just be Becasue were alive it wont Happen To us, But anything could Like this Flu. Its hard to Explain. But I Dunno, But We all Most Probs think it wont happen to us it Wont Be Most Probs will. Anyways Dont Panic

ilovejordan
18-10-2005, 02:43 PM
So far people have got it from birds but there worrying because when someone with the normal flu gets bird flu the two flu's merge and then the bird flu will be able to be passed on human to human
I'm gonna go live in a bubble :rolleyes:

TealArms
18-10-2005, 02:48 PM
You do know bird flu has been round over 20 years and only 110 summit people have died from it

manga21
18-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Yer it cant Be that Bad and Drugs (Medical) has Improved from then

Wobegong
18-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm gonna go live in a bubble :rolleyes:

Lmao how kwl would that be! :eusa_danc

ilovejordan
18-10-2005, 02:51 PM
You do know bird flu has been round over 20 years and only 110 summit people have died from it
Nope.
Apparently there was one like this in the 19th century.
I dnno. CASSIE SHUT UP THICK POO :(
okay anywayz its gonne be one of those threads again :p
My mom said once there was the hong kong flu goin round like this and all of her family caught it but she lived. And it wasn't as bad as people had been warned so :)

manga21
18-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Also When It CVomes Over here Keep your Cats away From Brids they Could Kill Them And Get it Off the Birds And Could Pass it on to you But thats silly But Still

ilovejordan
18-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Also When It CVomes Over here Keep your Cats away From Brids they Could Kill Them And Get it Off the Birds And Could Pass it on to you But thats silly But Still
my cat kills birds :'(

Wobegong
18-10-2005, 03:08 PM

Course i know that i mean some people might not but this is the 1st time so many out breaks have been reported at one time. And the 1st time it has ever come so close to Europe.

ilovejordan
18-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Course i knwo that i mean some people might not but this is the 1st time so many out breaks have been reported at one time. And the 1st time it has ever come so close to Europe.
[moves to australia]

Wobegong
18-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Lmao i think i will join you :eusa_danc

TealArms
18-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Nope.
Apparently there was one like this in the 19th century.
I dnno. CASSIE SHUT UP THICK POO :(
okay anywayz its gonne be one of those threads again :p
My mom said once there was the hong kong flu goin round like this and all of her family caught it but she lived. And it wasn't as bad as people had been warned so :)
DON'T CALL CASSIE! SHE IS MINT!
and ye cassie it probly will be

manga21
18-10-2005, 03:42 PM
DON'T CALL CASSIE! SHE IS MINT!
and ye cassie it probly will be

What she is a Mint? Thats new :P

Wobegong
18-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Well this thread has not become the thread i thought

Adam$
18-10-2005, 06:54 PM
It mustn't be that bad. What, 120 people have died in the whole world from it? I still worry it could spread through humans, but lets hope not.

TealArms
18-10-2005, 06:57 PM
What she is a Mint? Thats new :P
ye she is a mint lol, she is awsomely fit

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!