HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Why not alter ourselves? Mankind is slowing down evolutionary wise, maybe even fully stopping? Maybe our next step is man-made alterations, we're already doing things like re-attacthing limbs, face transplants etc. Why not go further?

I was watching a lecture on ted.com (inventor/scientific thinkers videos from the TED main place) and a man was theorising that if we put enough money into it, it would be possible within a short amount of time to extend human lives, slow the aging process etc.
    Last edited by Ezzie.; 21-10-2008 at 10:06 PM.
    I Threw My Pitchfork In Your Haystack Last Night
    Oo Arr Oo Arr.

Tokens

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie. View Post
    Why not alter ourselves? Mankind is slowing down evolutionary wise, maybe even fully stopping?
    [citation needed]

Evolution is incredibly slow anyway.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie. View Post
    Why not alter ourselves? Mankind is slowing down evolutionary wise, maybe even fully stopping? Maybe our next step is man-made alterations, we're already doing things like re-attacthing limbs, face transplants etc. Why not go further?
    But Evolution takes millions even billions of years the actual 'modern human' species as we know it has only been around for roughly 200,000 years so I wouldn't say we have fully evolved. You never know what could happen to us in the future if we don't fiddle with anything the possibities are endless depending on climate, the state of the planet etc etc

On the other hand if we do change the way we are using genetic engineering we could evolve down that route as well and turn into like weird alien looking things .

But like stated before I think its ok if we do it to try and help the disabled or cure the terminally ill or w.e but I don't think it will be suitable to alter the way people look etc because as a race we all seem to have this vision of what is 'good looking' and all humans will end up looking the same slim, blonde and good looking and lets be honest that'd make the world a boring place =]
    I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best. A daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away. Did I ever tell you that I stole it? Well, I borrowed it. I always meant to take it back. Oh, that box, Amy, you’ll dream about that box. It’ll never leave you. Big and little at the same time. Brand-new and ancient and the bluest blue ever. And the times we had, eh? Would had…Never had. In your dreams, they’ll still be there. The Doctor and Amy Pond and the days that never came.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

As a huge fan of Darwin, I know evolution takes a long long time, I'm going on the "evolution for humans is slowing down" in that a few evolutionary biologists are coming out now and exclaiming that evolution for humans is slowing, maybe has even stopped. It's too late to remember everything said but it was basically something along the lines of that because we are mixing with vast amounts of people, it's making mutations less likely to occur. Again don't ask me to explain it as I'm incredibly tired

The whole idea of the aforementioned though doesn't seem to make clear cut sense, so I'm quite highly sceptical, my point about with human evolution slowing down wasn't to state it as fact, more of a hypothesis for if natural evolution stopped for humans, maybe we could progress by altering our genes ourselves, also we could do what evolution would take to do hundreds of thousands of years to accomplish.

Just found who wrote the article I was talking about, Steve Jones is his name, a guy named John hawks has attempted to rebuke his points if anyone's interested:
    http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/e...ping-2008.html

Crikey I ramble on in the early hours.
    I Threw My Pitchfork In Your Haystack Last Night
    Oo Arr Oo Arr.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123