Win BIG with HabboxStarz!
Show off your musical talent in our old skool singing competition! Big prizes to be won!
HxSS Awards winners and final standings!
It's all done! Click here to see the big big winners from this year's tournament, and the fan favourites for the awards!
Check out HabboxWiki!
The biggest and best archive of all things Habbo - could YOU be our next top editor?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative, View Post
    Lots of schools do that now, so more people get English Bacc's. But my school only forces us to take I.T because it's a computing school, and then the obvious essentials (Science, English, Maths).
    Always found IT a complete waste of a subject lol

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
    Always found IT a complete waste of a subject lol
    Same, I just end up on youtube for 40 minutes because I can do the work with my eyes closed.

DJ Robbie
    Former Jobs: Events Organiser, News Reporter, HxHD

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I think it's a good move, I do not believe that even going onto sixth form would involve A levels every time, I've heard plans of people being taught more general life skills that people tend to learn at university in a slightly more controlled environment than straight out working.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I'm sure the plans for increasing the compulsory age does not necessarily mean A Levels. They do need to be in some form of education, employment or training. ie. they're not allowed to be in the NEET (Not in education, employment or training) group, which is highly likely to be a way of decreasing unemployment figures. This does mean, however, that the old 'tripartite system' is likely to return at the age of 16. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of personal opinion, I'm not a big fan of the idea really.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    I'm sure the plans for increasing the compulsory age does not necessarily mean A Levels. They do need to be in some form of education, employment or training. ie. they're not allowed to be in the NEET (Not in education, employment or training) group, which is highly likely to be a way of decreasing unemployment figures. This does mean, however, that the old 'tripartite system' is likely to return at the age of 16. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of personal opinion, I'm not a big fan of the idea really.
    What's tripartite system?

DJ Robbie

Tokens

Latest Awards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripartite_System
    The Tripartite System was the arrangement of state funded secondary education between 1944 and the 1970s in England and Wales, and from 1947 to 2009 in Northern Ireland. It was an administrative implementation of the Education Act 1944[1] and the Education Act (Northern Ireland) 1947.
    State funded secondary education was arranged into a structure containing three types of school, namely: grammar school, secondary technical school and secondary modern school. Pupils were allocated to their respective types of school according to their performance in the Eleven Plus examination. It was the prevalent system under the Conservative governments of the 1951 to 1964 period, but was actively discouraged by the Labour government after 1965. It was formally abolished in England and Wales in 1976,[citation needed] giving way to the Comprehensive System. However, elements of similar systems persist in several English counties such as Kent which maintains the grammar school system alongside comprehensive schools. The system's merits and demerits, in particular the need and selection for grammar schools, proved to be a contentious issue at the time and still remain so.
    And I thought you were clever enough to use google...
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripartite_System

And I thought you were clever enough to use google...
    Thanks. Im too tired and/or lazy to google at this time.

If that was brought back in I would've been at grammar school . I don't like that idea tbh.

DJ Robbie

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative, View Post
    What's tripartite system?
    The idea that there are three different types of intelligence (academic, technical, vocational) and that schools should be designed to fit the needs of each one, this brought the tripartite system. Sounds fair enough if you believe in the general principle (which I don't) but in practice, was very class biased.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    The idea that there are three different types of intelligence (academic, technical, vocational) and that schools should be designed to fit the needs of each one. Sounds fair enough if you believe in the general principle (which I don't) but in practice, was very class biased.
    I agree with the principle but I don't like how it's run. I think people, as they do now, should have the choice to choose their education. I got offered a place at a private school, a grammar school, and a state school. I chose the state school because it suited me best.

However I agree that there are different types of intelligence - to say there are not is ridiculous. Not everyone is an academical genius, and not everyone is an artistic prodigy. Each to his own as they say.

DJ Robbie

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Different types of intelligence maybe... but definitely not just 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast