Win BIG with HabboxStarz!
Show off your musical talent in our old skool singing competition! Big prizes to be won!
HxSS Awards winners and final standings!
It's all done! Click here to see the big big winners from this year's tournament, and the fan favourites for the awards!
Check out HabboxWiki!
The biggest and best archive of all things Habbo - could YOU be our next top editor?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default EU referendum could be held as early as 2016

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...EU-reform.html

Philip Hammond seeks fast settlement on EU

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond signalled that Britain will not insist on major treaty change during negotiations over the country’s future relationship with Europe.

Britain is at a crossroads: a global future or a European one

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Telegraph
    Philip Hammond has signalled that Britain will not insist on major treaty change during negotiations over the country’s future relationship with Europe.

The Foreign Secretary told the Financial Times that treaty change was not “in itself” a political goal for the British government, adding: “For the vast majority of the British people the important thing is where we end up, the outcome.”

Earlier this week, David Cameron’s hopes for a far-reaching overhaul of Britain’s relationship with the EU were dealt a setback when Germany said it would not be rushed into changing the bloc’s treaties to meet UK demands.

Mr Hammond’s comments suggest the government is considering creative legal ways to achieve reform, without the need for lengthy treaty negotiations.

Asked whether treaty change should form part of the talks, Mr Hammond said: “That is how I want this process to end up: a good package of reforms; a ‘yes’ vote; and a step change in the way the relationship works, with Britain being really engaged and a loud voice in the union.”

Mr Hammond also echoed Bank of England Governor Mark Carney’s call for a speedy resolution of the European question, calling for a “fast” settlement.

His comments will now raise expectations of a possible vote in 2016.
    I am still very weary about a referendum however thinking about it, given the demands of the government are unlikely to yield any real changes other than flim flam (as was the case in 1975) we have the bonus that people are much less trusting nowadays of what they are told, they have the internet to debunk what is said and as seen in the Scottish referendum: it's possible to achieve a much bigger swingback when you are the underdog.

We will end up leaving eventually of course, as the EU is hellbent on political unification of which Britain can't be a part of. The only question is, do we leave now and achieve a better global future for ourselves via the Commonwealth while we can, or do we throw the opportunity away, wait 10 years, and find ourselves unwilling to go along with political union but also alone in that the Commonwealth countries have already pressed ahead with separate trade deals themselves? That's my big concern: I know we will leave, but we're literally throwing the chances we're being given now with global growth away.

Thoughts?

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zitrone

Latest Awards:

cool it will be my first time voting

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

I love expensive referendums on things that the entire electoral system is literally set up to decide upon in a more streamlined way, it's my fave
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

HabboxForum Top Poster

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJesus View Post
    I love expensive referendums on things that the entire electoral system is literally set up to decide upon in a more streamlined way, it's my fave
    If the two major parties actually did what they promised in their manifestos in regards to the EU then we'd have left a long time ago.

That's the problem right there.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

Bit of a misleading article to use figures for the Eurozone when the EU extends beyond that. It also doesn't really make much sense to compare the Commonwealth to the Eurozone, USA or China.
    I'm not looking forward to this referendum as it will most likely be filled with lies and crap by both sides of the table to the extent I might not even vote.

HabboxForum Top Poster

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    Bit of a misleading article to use figures for the Eurozone when the EU extends beyond that. It also doesn't really make much sense to compare the Commonwealth to the Eurozone, USA or China.

I'm not looking forward to this referendum as it will most likely be filled with lies and crap by both sides of the table to the extent I might not even vote.
    The EU as a percentage of global trade is predicted to dramatically shrink, whilst Commonwealth countries which Britain has close ties with and who would be willing to sign FTAs with us, are expected to massively grow over the next few decades. It's the massive potential I am trying to point out. In any case, if we were to stay in the EU and 'complete the single market' in the words of Cameron, then we'd become a part of the Eurozone eventually anyway.

Do we tie ourselves to France, Greece, Spain, Italy, Poland and the Netherlands or turn to India, Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa and Australia? No-brainer.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 16-05-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I'm certain the conservatives promised an EU referendum before (though the LDs may have blocked this in all fairness) so I shall be surprised if they do go ahead with it this time.
    /

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    The EU as a percentage of global trade is predicted to dramatically shrink, whilst Commonwealth countries which Britain has close ties with and who would be willing to sign FTAs with us, are expected to massively grow over the next few decades. It's the massive potential I am trying to point out. In any case, if we were to stay in the EU and 'complete the single market' in the words of Cameron, then we'd become a part of the Eurozone eventually anyway.

Do we tie ourselves to France, Greece, Spain, Italy, Poland and the Netherlands or turn to India, Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa and Australia? No-brainer.
    I wasn't making any point to suggest which way I sway, just that the article is somewhat misleading and trying to present the EU as the weaker economy by using the Eurozone which we're not even a part of. Even if we would become a part of the Eurozone anyway (I won't point out the flaw in that argument), it's completely irrelevant to the article itself which is about British membership of the EU. It would have also been far more interesting and useful to see GDP per capita.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It's ok dan, I'm sure Mr Cameron will get some wishy washy concessions from the EU so that he doesn't have to bother, or he'll mess up the wording, or the campaign spending will be completely unbalanced or he'll do something stupid like letting non-uk nationals vote in the referendum.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

I can't wait for the public to vote no to leaving and for this to all blow over. If we do vote to leave however, then I think it would only be fair that Scotland should get another referendum since they are heavily pro eu.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    I wasn't making any point to suggest which way I sway, just that the article is somewhat misleading and trying to present the EU as the weaker economy by using the Eurozone which we're not even a part of. Even if we would become a part of the Eurozone anyway (I won't point out the flaw in that argument), it's completely irrelevant to the article itself which is about British membership of the EU. It would have also been far more interesting and useful to see GDP per capita.
    And the commonwealth isn't all one currency. If they are showing the entire commonwealths economy then they should show the entire EU's economy. Just some dan propaganda.
    That's when Ron vanished, came back speaking Spanish
    Lavish habits, two rings, twenty carats

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast