HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Cosmic

Latest Awards:

Default Should people have the legal right... (ENDS 10/7/11)

...to defend their homes from burglars using 'reasonable force'? - ENDS 10/07/2011

I'm sure that one of the worst situations that one can find themselves in is being face-to-face with a burglar in their own home. The law currently states that citizens are able to defend themselves and their homes from burglars using 'reasonable force'. However, what constitutes as being reasonable force e.g. does 'reasonable force' stop at killing or seriously maiming someone? Is this morally right? - A better course of action could be considered? Should we only be allowed to attack a burglar in defence or is it acceptable to attack them whilst unprovoked (e.g. by surprise/from behind).

What are your thoughts and opinions on the use of 'reasonable force' on burglars?

An interesting view from the Justice Secretary: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13957587
    Last edited by Cosmic; 30-06-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Narnat,

Latest Awards:

Well it is our property that we own so we have every right too. Especially if they are putting you in a life threatening situation, If they had you at knife point ect then you aren't just going to stand there buglers will go to any extent to get what they want. So I would say if someone comes onto your property and breaks in then yes you should use the amount of force you feel is needed to protect yourself and your family.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If someone breaks into your home you should be able to use all necessary force to have them restrained until the police arrive, if that force turns to the point where you have to shoot them gutted for them, they took the risk to break in its their own fault.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

If someone breaks in and possesses a weapon which could cause harm or pose as a thread (i.e. someone who's massive and could kick the crap out of anyone), I think the people living there are able to do as they want. If they seem harmless and are there to steal and only steal, then they should be allowed only to weaken them (hit them) and restrain them. So I pretty much agree with what has been said.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dragonboy75605

i have always heard that if somebody breaks into your house they are on your private property and you have the right to use any amount of force it takes that is in colorado it was called the "day law" i think and i have also heard that in texas but if we look at the morals of this said situation we will find the good ol "fight or flight" reaction kick in were we will either run away or hide in fear or we will defend our selfs how ever we feel necesary and some times we cant even controll what we are doing with all of the adreinalin pumping and the moment ocurring these are just my thought and opions comment how ever you like

Tokens
    Habbo
    Cosmic

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by redtom View Post
    If someone breaks into your home you should be able to use all necessary force to have them restrained until the police arrive, if that force turns to the point where you have to shoot them gutted for them, they took the risk to break in its their own fault.
    Do you not think that shooting someone is far too extreme? I expect that there would be repercussions from using a firearm for that (although, I'm not 100% on the laws surrounding firearms and owning them). Personally, I don't think I could live with the thought that I had shot someone. Not only that, but I'm sure that waving a gun at a burglar could open the floodgates for danger - what if the burglar somehow got hold of your gun and turned it on you/your family?

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    If someone breaks in and possesses a weapon which could cause harm or pose as a thread (i.e. someone who's massive and could kick the crap out of anyone), I think the people living there are able to do as they want. If they seem harmless and are there to steal and only steal, then they should be allowed only to weaken them (hit them) and restrain them. So I pretty much agree with what has been said.
    I agree with what you have said regarding using force to weaken and then restrain them. I feel that going 'all-out' on a burglar for being in your home is something that should never happen.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    I feel that going 'all-out' on a burglar for being in your home is something that should never happen.
    Why? They shouldn't be there in the first place.

If they're on your property you should be able to do whatever the heck you like to them. Simple.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Cosmic

Latest Awards:

Just because they shouldn't be there, I don't think you should directly go and beat them up. With that thought, just because they are on your property, the law still applies and frankly I don't think you should be allowed to 'do whatever the heck you like' to them - I can't imagine the result would stand up well in court.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

So if you walked into your lounge and found a thug throwing all your possessions in a sack, you'd politely ask them to leave?...

Tokens
    Habbo
    Cosmic

Latest Awards:

I think you're missing the point. Of course no one would be expected to, as you put it, 'politely as them to leave'. The point of this debate is to question the use of 'reasonable force' and what constitutes it. So are you suggesting that 'doing whatever the heck you like' to a burglar falls under the category of reasonable force? I'm not sure it does.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast