HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Are regional accents dying out?

Hey,
    I've got my EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) to write in the near future and to put things simply... I need to write 5,000 words on a topic of my choice. I have to keep a production log book, so I really need to get as much research about this as possible by collecting different interpretations, opinions and views, and then recording it. Rather in-keeping with my desire to study English, I've decided to discuss:

Are regional accents dying out?

Some would suggest that due to social mobility and the rat race, people are now commuting into the big cities such as London. This means people as far afield as Wiltshire, Reading and Oxford will all be working together; hence having the possiblity to create a whole new London accent.

On the other hand, others would suggest that institutions like the BBC are now widening their horizons and relaxing their rules on who presents their news on the TV. Presenters such as Hew Edwards (who comes from Wales, which has a strong regional accent) are now reading our news and straying further away from received pronunciation (standard English). Perhaps this is down to political correctness and the constant desire for equality in society. It's highly possible that the BBC feel they're out of touch with the public if they limit their news readers to the typical, middle class accent; RP.

Any further opinions?
    Matt

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I wouldn't say they are dying out, but I would say that the media, Government and other public services have relaxed their rules about the use of regional accents. On a social level, regional accents are as strong as ever. In a University community, you get all the accents mixing together but no accent hybrids come out of this. If anything you get used to them, and retain your accent - something one of my Welsh friends noticed.
    +1

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by GommeInc View Post
    I wouldn't say they are dying out, but I would say that the media, Government and other public services have relaxed their rules about the use of regional accents. On a social level, regional accents are as strong as ever. In a University community, you get all the accents mixing together but no accent hybrids come out of this. If anything you get used to them, and retain your accent - something one of my Welsh friends noticed.
    I forgot all about this thread, thank you for replying!

I think your final sentence is very interesting and I should be able to talk about upward and downward divergence / convergence if I structure the essay in a certain way. Thanks for the viewpoint from a personal level!

Anyone else have anything to add?

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

No doubt in some areas the regional accent has been completely eradicated thanks to uncontrolled immigration.

Tokens
    Habbo
    katie.pricejorda

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    No doubt in some areas the regional accent has been completely eradicated thanks to uncontrolled immigration.
    Many immigrants (Perhaps not first generation though) gain regional accents I find.

None of the things people have come up with leads me to believe there's any reasons why regional accents would die out, where-ever I go there always seem a variety. Even different parts of Nottingham have quite noticeably different accents.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Many immigrants (Perhaps not first generation though) gain regional accents I find.
    Provided its not flooded (the area), some areas have different streets with different groups in who can't speak English nevermind one anothers tongue.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I don't think so no. I haven't noticed any change in the amount of regional accents I hear in the media.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I watched a programme on BBC1 I think it was called 'The Scheme' followed a load of people on a housing scheme in Kilmarnock & it was like full on impossible to understand what they were saying. Their accents were so strong that they had to add subtitles on screen.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

my regional accent (birmingham, though i went to college in dudley so i have a black country/yamyam twang) isn't dying out, but it's never on television because i don't think people like it. if it is on tv it's used to back up an archetype of a 'stupid' person. it's discrimination really because i talk like that and i'm not ******ed haha .

Tokens
    Habbo
    Shadow-Mason

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by publicised View Post
    my regional accent (birmingham, though i went to college in dudley so i have a black country/yamyam twang) isn't dying out, but it's never on television because i don't think people like it. if it is on tv it's used to back up an archetype of a 'stupid' person. it's discrimination really because i talk like that and i'm not ******ed haha .
    I have to agree with you there, I also have the Black Country accent, which in certain aspects, gives me a disadvantage at business and work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast