HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default No playground for 'super school'

Quote Originally Posted by http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/6629655.stm

Teachers hope the move will help students learn
    The most expensive state school in the UK will not have an outdoor space for students when it opens in September.
    Alan McMurdo, head of Peterborough's £46.4m Thomas Deacon Academy, said: "I think what the public want is maximum learning."

But Tim Gill, who led an official inquiry into children's play, said the idea "borders on inhuman".

The 2,200-pupil "super school", part of the government's city academy scheme, will replace three separate schools.

'Maximum learning'

Mr McMurdo said the main aim of not having a playground at the school was to help pupils' learning.

He told BBC News: "This is a massive investment of public money and I think what the public want is maximum learning.

"They recognise that youngsters can play in their own time, play in their local communities.

"What I want from my teachers is maximum teaching and I want maximum learning from the youngsters."

'Extremely damaging'

However, independent play expert Tim Gill said the concept sounded "crazy".

"It borders on inhuman," he said.

He added: "It's symptomatic of a way of thinking about children that we have to control and programme and manage every aspect of their lives.

"That seems to me to be extremely damaging in the long-term because children need to have some time where they take responsibility and they make everyday decisions about what they're doing."

The academy is being built in Queens Gardens, Peterborough, as a replacement for John Mansfield School, Deacon's School and Hereward Community College.

Construction work on the Norman Foster-designed building on the eastern side of the city started in July 2005.

The city academy programme aims to revitalise secondary schooling in areas where local schools could benefit from re-organisation.
    I'd so hate to go to a school like this.. how boring
    I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best. A daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away. Did I ever tell you that I stole it? Well, I borrowed it. I always meant to take it back. Oh, that box, Amy, you’ll dream about that box. It’ll never leave you. Big and little at the same time. Brand-new and ancient and the bluest blue ever. And the times we had, eh? Would had…Never had. In your dreams, they’ll still be there. The Doctor and Amy Pond and the days that never came.

Tokens

OH NO I LIKE A NICE PLAYGROUND IS NICE FOR PLAYING INSIDE

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It won't work. They should use Recess: The Movie as an example.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Eww it's near me. Tis gonna be crap.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

That school is going to be f-u-n.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

That long without a break to wake up will result in half the schools population haveing curled up and goon to sleep by the afternoon "/ That or so board they just mess around as much as can be got away with, and probably somewhat more just to get out of the class, resulting in alot less being learnt in the long run... way to maximise learning.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I thought their was at least a break, just not a playground. If there's not breaktime, that'll totally suck.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

That will be fun, the reason I'm saying this is because think about it, the kids will get bored and do pranks n stuff all the time and there reasons will be good as they dont get a break n stuff..?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Thats Crap! I go to that school!! I asked the head teachers PA about this and she said "the head teacher doesnt want to comment on this yet"! Its well suckish!, I dont wanna leave the school either as its the only place I can do the International Bacoloriate near me SUCKISH! :
    Last edited by :Liam; 06-05-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

No playground. well i guess this school will start with 2,200 pupils and after a year only have 200 pupils.

Need a domain but dont have paypal... not to worry. You can purchase a domain via text or home phone at XeoDomains.mobi.

(X Moderator)
    AKA Cheekykarl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast