HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Should our councils ban "inappropriate" street names?

Quote Originally Posted by bbc.co.uk/news
    New road names with rude connotations could soon be banned in part of Sussex to avoid "deliberate misinterpretation".

But throughout England streets including "Grope Lane" and "Titty Ho" have a rich history.

Lewes District Council wants to clean up its street names.

The local authority believes it will help emergency and postal services by carefully vetting what new roads are called.

A report says "aesthetically unsuitable" names such as Gaswork Road, Tip House and Coalpit Lane should also be avoided, along with any double entendres.

But Rob Bailey, co-author of Rude UK, believes rude-sounding place names have a cultural significance.

I think sanitising [street names] takes away the industry and distinctiveness of many areas

Rob Bailey, author

The book, along with later publications Rude World and Rude Britain, explores the history of such names including Weeford, in Staffordshire, Scratchy Bottom, Dorset and Lickey End in Worcestershire.

**** Lane in Haydock, Merseyside, for example, got its name from the coal **** heaps which used to characterise the area, Mr Bailey said.

While Juggs Close, in Lewes itself, is thought to have got its name from baskets in which fish were carried (known as juggs).

"I think sanitising [street names] takes away the industry and distinctiveness of many areas like the sluicing of the fens or the coal-mining of the north," Mr Bailey said.

Rob Bailey has co-written three books about "rude" place names

The idea from Lewes council is nothing new.

In the late 1800s authorities amended a number of street names deemed inappropriate, he said.

"This latest sanitation is redolent of what the Victorians would have been doing in the past when they tried to get rid of some of the richest road names that we have."

Mr Bailey, who grew up in a place in Oxfordshire called Tumbledown ****, said he feared vetting new road signs could lead to "mediocre and meaningless" names spreading across the country.

But some residents who live in strangely-named places do find it a struggle.

Tired of pranks

In 2003 Paul and Lisa Allott moved from their bungalow in Conisbrough, South Yorkshire, after becoming fed up of living in Butt Hole Road.

The family said they had grown tired of groups of youths posing for photographs by a street sign near their front wall with their buttocks bared.

Taxis and delivery men often failed to turn up, as they did not believe the road existed, Mr Allott said.

Mr Bailey believes the name may have originated as a reference to a nearby water source.

The name Scratchy Bottom, in Dorset, is thought to refer to a rough hollow

Dr Oliver Padel, president of the English Place Name Society, based in Nottingham, said street names which today could have double meanings existed for many reasons.

"Sometimes a name had a completely different meaning and it developed over the years into something now we can potentially see as having a rude meaning.

"On the other hand some roads were supposed to have an intended meaning."

Grope Lane, in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, for example, was once the town's red-light district, he said.

"I think very often the names do enshrine part of the local history and it's desirable to keep the name when you can.

"I would say that a name is a historic document in itself - they deserve to be recognised."
    It is the epic debate the world has been waiting for.... should our English towns keep our awesome street names or should 'rude' street names be banned by our local councils? :8
    Last edited by Dan2nd; 07-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.
    I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best. A daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away. Did I ever tell you that I stole it? Well, I borrowed it. I always meant to take it back. Oh, that box, Amy, you’ll dream about that box. It’ll never leave you. Big and little at the same time. Brand-new and ancient and the bluest blue ever. And the times we had, eh? Would had…Never had. In your dreams, they’ll still be there. The Doctor and Amy Pond and the days that never came.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

morningwood drive lol
    I'm at a point in my life where I don't care if you like me or you don't. If you like me, cool. If you don't, meh.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Its absoultely rubbish!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

On the basis that we are currently going through a severe economic crisis and everyone is soon going to start feeling depressed, I would say they should keep them as comic relief for those who are feeling like killing themselves.
    Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini

Tokens
    Habbo
    sct

Latest Awards:

I cant think of any street with names like that here
    en ta beauté gît ma mort et ma vie

Tokens

Latest Awards:

KEEP them

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Its so silly, them sort of names were probally around long before us and meant something totally different back then. Why change it because we changed meanings of words tbh.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaz View Post
    Its so silly, them sort of names were probally around long before us and meant something totally different back then. Why change it because we changed meanings of words tbh.
    I agree with you however I'd love to live down 'Butt Hole Road' just for the comedic value
    Last edited by Dan2nd; 07-01-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best. A daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away. Did I ever tell you that I stole it? Well, I borrowed it. I always meant to take it back. Oh, that box, Amy, you’ll dream about that box. It’ll never leave you. Big and little at the same time. Brand-new and ancient and the bluest blue ever. And the times we had, eh? Would had…Never had. In your dreams, they’ll still be there. The Doctor and Amy Pond and the days that never came.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Lol, its like gay, it used to mean happy, now it means someone who has relationships with same sex. Big change much?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

lol that's a stupid idea they should stay i can't imagine that any council would actually change them unless they wanted some critical publicity, all publicity is good publicity i suppose

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast