HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default going to america/gap year

Hey,

I'm looking into possibly going to the USA for my gap year but this is still pretty much in the planning stages. I've been looking at flights and stuff, but since I don't exactly fly often, I'm not sure how good the airline is.

Apparently (seems awful cheap, although it is booking nearly a year in advance) the flights would be around £500 return with Continental. I'm also wondering about visas because obviously I would need to get all that sorted, I tried to have a look at all this yesterday but it somewhat made my brain explode.

I'm not entirely sure if anyone on the board will have done this before, but it seems like an interesting prospect because its so out of character for myself. Almost not knowing what the next day would bring.

On another little side note, does anyone have any good resources for planning a gap year?

Thanks!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I guess you are planning your gap year on your own?
    Firstly dont forget that most universities will want to know why you deferred your placement and some like skills and like an essay you learned whilst you were out there. You can just go out there, work in Wal-Mart and have fun at the weekend lol.

I am sure that if you go to your schools resources library there will be alot of information on gap years and things like that which will help you planning and things you need to take and make sure you have before going.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Organising visas is very confusing. We have looked into it but concluded that "the USA just won't let us in!"... possibly when I'm older and my parents retire we will look again.

For us (a family), they pretty much only let you in if you are useful to the country. Doctors, etc are fine. Netto workers are not. The maximum you are allowed to stay in the country is 90 days unless you get a special card.

I'd look into how long the country will permit you first rather than what you will do there.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Doesnt the law state you can stay there for 90 days then you have to leave, then go back and you can stay for another 90 days. If thats the case, nip over to canada for teh day and go back lmao.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaz View Post
    Doesnt the law state you can stay there for 90 days then you have to leave, then go back and you can stay for another 90 days. If thats the case, nip over to canada for teh day and go back lmao.
    Yes that's correct. The lil' green card they staple into your passport has to be taken out again within 90 days.

Shows how stupid some laws are when, as you said, you can just nip over the border and back again..

Where are you planning on visiting and staying while you're there?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Me and a friend were looking into it, ideas we had were to travel around all the states (although universities wouldnt exactly see that as productive) - I thought doing some voluntary work although not exactly sure how I would get my keep.

Its kind of a pipe dream but it does sound like fun. I presume if I was going over to do voluntary work then it would be possible to apply for a work visa?