HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Is it justifiable to execute criminals?

A large number of countries across the world execute criminals, some for serious offences and others for offence that may not even exist in your country. My question is, do you think the execution of criminals is fair and whatever your opinion - why do you think this?

Note I am asking whether you agree with capital punishment as a whole rather than whether or not it should be introduced in the UK. Although the nature of the debate would basically be the same thing.

Pros of Capital Punishment

• Imprisonment for some criminals is simply not enough. For example, Murderers take a life and so why should we not take their life as punishment?
    • Capital punishment is most certainly a deterrent. Surely criminals will be put off breaking the law for fear of losing their life over it.
    • Many people are killed by murderers who have been released or on probation. This could be prevented by using the death penalty.
    • If certain criminals were executed, the tax payer would save money and prevent prison overcrowding.

Cons of Capital Punishment

• Capital Punishment essentially involves the government agreeing to killing. You are essentially sanctioning murder by killing criminals.
    • In America, 23 innocent people were killed after receiving the death penalty in the 20th Century. How can you possibly justify the killing of innocent people - even if the amount is only small.
    • There is evidence that suggests there is racial bias in the implementation of the death penalty.
    • 30 mentally challenged individuals have been executed in the US since 1976. Is this fair?
    • In application of the death penalty, you are ruling out the possibility of rehabilitation. What if the individual could change their behaviour?

What do you think?
    Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini

Tokens

Latest Awards:

In my opinion, I think it's wrong. Exactly what you've said also, if you get the suspect wrong, the questions will be asked.

I don't think two wrongs make a right, so I'm going to start the debate by saying it's in-humaine and is wrong, therefore shouldn't come in place in the UK.
    "There are only two important days in your life: the day you are born, and the day you find out why."
    Mark Twain

Tokens

Latest Awards:

There are inherantly evil people such as Adolf Hitler and Saddam Houssain who are never going to change and deserve to be shot at dawn, same for serial killers and serial rapists and stuff. For one time murderers who do it out of impulse or something they need a long jail sentence and a new identity and the chance at a new life, if they break that you may as well kill them on the spot because they're only going to be a danger when they're released.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Teabags

Latest Awards:

simple theory. if they are not going to outlive their sentence. Give them the chop.

superhappy.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If pople wasnt murdered there would be no need for it, how ever people do so they deserve it. The small minority will kind of be ok as people know that there are evil people being executed 10x as many who are innocent.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It's only right in exceptional cases. That's what i think. For example, murder committed more than once, and with intent, or serious offenses on a child.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Legal murder is opinionated - murdering serial rapists, murderers and the like have no serious proof to declare it sensible to go through with it. At the end of the day, it's short-term ideas based on nothing but opinion - "Should this man die because he killed x?" Hardly an idea you want to hear. It should be a definite yes or a definite no, though killing of any sort, whether it be for justice or just thoughtless murder, is always pointless and proves nothing - people will always kill each other, so legally killing them off creates a circle of "Kill the killer who killed the killer". I'd rather be in a country that doesn't kill people off like barbarians they evolved from. Besides, loads of people who have commited serious crimes like these probably do not fear death, so where's the justice in that? Let them suffer and show an example :/

It's pointless and not needed in a civilised society, especially when serial rape is apparently the be all and end all :S

Tokens

Latest Awards:

My religion (or lack of) is a big factor in my opinion on this. When I believed in God, I always thought the death penalty was just a fast-pass to being with God (assuming He allowed you into heaven blah blah blah). But now as an atheist, I think I fear death myself a lot more and realise how much of a punishment it would really be, rather than just thinking once you're dead, your punishment is over so it's a bit pointless.

All of this is assuming the country in question is running with a fair law justice system without making mistakes. When you introduce points regarding innocent or mentally disabled people being punished, it opens a whole new can of worms. Of course it can't be right to run that risk. I mean, imagine if you just happened to be the one innocent person who is mistakenly executed. It's simply unimaginable.

In my opinion, being locked in prison for literally your entire life, is on par with being killed. Assuming it's a quick and painless death, I see it like this; obviously the period leading up to it would be unbelievably frighting and torturous, but once it's done, that's the end of your punishment. A bit like getting an injection, but obviously on a much larger scale. However being locked up for life without parole, is just day after day of the same thing without any hopes or aspirations. Not even a hope that one day you may be free. It would be absolutely soul-destroying.

I also used to think capital punishment was wrong because nobody has the right to say who lives or dies but now I see it as we all live with a full understanding of the law. We always know whenever we may be breaking the law and what the punishment could be. With that understanding, any penalty is fair and if I lived in a country that does practice capital punishment, I tell you what, I most definitely wouldn't be committing any crimes. On the other hand, I reckon I have a bigger fear of spending my life in prison than I do of death.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Professor-Alex View Post
    There are inherantly evil people such as Adolf Hitler and Saddam Houssain who are never going to change and deserve to be shot at dawn, same for serial killers and serial rapists and stuff. For one time murderers who do it out of impulse or something they need a long jail sentence and a new identity and the chance at a new life, if they break that you may as well kill them on the spot because they're only going to be a danger when they're released.
    You missed out George W Bush and Tony Blair.

On death penalty, no it doesn't make us worse than the killer. When they killed they forfeited their right to live in the eyes of the law, and i'd gladly pull the switch on any cold-blooded murderer.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Yes, an eye for an eye. However, I think that each case has to be reviewed and gone through with a fine tooth comb. If a man has killed his wife in assisted suicide (which can even be murder) and gone to prison for it he does not deserve death. Say a woman has an abusive boyfriend, who frequently beats and rapes her. She puts a hammer under her bed incase he gets too rough. One night he comes home drunk and starts raping her, so she reaches under her bed and gets the hammer and then smacks him around the head with a hammer. He later dies. That IS classed as murder, yet she would NOT deserve to be cooked for that. One final case is: A 19 year old man is a drug addict, he comits armed robbery on a shop for money, lets say it's his first major offense. A member of public jumps in and tries to help and the 19 year old pulls the trigger, killing the member of public. You could say this is exactly the sort of scum that deserves to roast, but the 19 year old is absolutely mortified at what he has done, and has killed the person because he was jumpy and scared. He doesn't deserve to die, though he does deserve a prison sentence and rehabilitation.

If you understand what I am trying to say, it's that there should either be NO guidelines or very minimalistic guidelines - that may seem like it over complicates each case - but each case should be treated seperately as cases are very rarely the same. As I said earlier, I think each case has to be reviewed in more detail when they kill. This doesn't happen now. Things like age should be factors in this.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast