HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Grig

Latest Awards:

Default Should Britain have a united football team? [ENDS 04/07/2010]

Should Britain have a united football team?

Ends: 04/07/2010

Football has always been the sport that most in Britain, otherwise known as UK follow. There has always been an overwhelming sense of pride and nationalism for each team. However, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all have their own independent football associations with their own leagues and these associations are the ones that pick international teams for world renowned events such as the world cup. Creating such a team would in no doubt be controversial and political sparks will fly. There have been several attempts in such a feat in the past, including creating a united female 'British' football team for the Beijing Olympics (where Britain is represented as one unit), however that was withdrawn a few days before the event due to opposition from various football associations. It is a hot topic of debate in government, as the majority of the previous Labour government, randing from Gordon Brown have all called for this.

Some view if this happens, this would be a great symbol of peace between the various 'kingdoms' within Britain. It would also comprise a team of 11 best players possible, which may increase the chances of winning larger international competitions. It would also make it in line with other sport, such as tennis that don't have divisions between the kingdoms.

Others view this as just another political firestorm waiting to happen. If each country has it's own association, with equal votes in FIFA, then how can they play under a united team? Furthermore, the team may not be equally represented, as the bulk of the players could simply come from England. Some feel this must not happen in order to protect both national identity and pride.

Anyway, now it's your turn to get your teeth into this debate, whether it be sport or political; Should Britain have a united football team, for such events as the Olympics and World Cup?
    Former: HabboxLive Manager, Asst. HabboxLive Manager, International HabboxLive Manager, Asst. HabboxLive Manager (Int.), Asst. News Manager, Debates Leader (numerous times) and 9999 other roles, including resident boozehound

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I don't think we should, it's a good idea but no. England are just England, the home of football. If we all joined together, there wouldn't be a home of football.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

No because if you did, Scotland and Wales player probably wouldnt start for the team

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Good point to be honest, but would it be better for all of us to join? :S

Tokens

Latest Awards:

i don't think it'd go down very well if i'm honest.
    goodbye.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Biscuitss

Latest Awards:

It would be a good idea but i dont think it would work tbh.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

No doubt if we did have one, the Welsh, Scottish and Northeren Irish would be overly represented as they are in most other walks of service (subsidies and MPs). With that PC fiasco in mind i'd have to say no to a British football team.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Really couldn't see it working which is a massive pity for 2012 .

Tokens

Latest Awards:

proably - it would get ireland & scotland involved more but practically i don't see it working

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Special View Post
    proably - it would get ireland & scotland involved more but practically i don't see it working
    What he said really, it'll be good for them but we'd just fail after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast