HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Grig

Latest Awards:

Default Academic qualifications - success in life? [ENDS 11/07/2010]

Academic qualifications - success in life?

Ends: 11/07/2010

Many in the world today have a never ending resume of academic qualifications that are argued to ensure a respected job with a high pay check. However, many are questioning whether this does indeed ensure all the success to life. Many of the world's richest people such as entrepreneurs Bill Gates and Richard Branson are college drop outs. People argue that these qualifications give them no needed foundation in life and when they are actually in the real world, things are completely different. If success was in direct proportion to qualifications, then why aren't graduates from Yale, Oxford, Cambridge etc. not always successful- it is all about hard work.

Others argue that such people are simply a small minority who managed to achieve this success in the past, However, we cannot simply look at the minority and drop out simply because one person out of a billion did it. A qualification means that it is easy to find a better paying job, and also gives one respect in society and may even dispose of any negatives that person may have done.

This juicy argument can go on and on with valid points from both sides. Therefore, it is now your turn to immerse yourself into this debate and answer the question of whether academic qualifications do indeed give a good foundation for one's future.
    Last edited by Grig; 27-06-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Former: HabboxLive Manager, Asst. HabboxLive Manager, International HabboxLive Manager, Asst. HabboxLive Manager (Int.), Asst. News Manager, Debates Leader (numerous times) and 9999 other roles, including resident boozehound

Tokens

Latest Awards:

of course it helps if you get good grades at gcse, but now days anything from C-A* is considered then same now especially when applying for college. it's definatly not worth risking your social life over exams/revision

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Academic qualifications - success in childhood. That's it.
    After that, it's all about experience.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

they only really help with certain jobs.
    My parents have no qualifications, yet they both have good jobs

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I believe academics qualifications can secure you a better future with high pay checks but not always.I suppose the most important thing is to be driven,hard working and focused on your goals in life no matter what you do.Plus,being street smart and having a bit of luck always helps

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

academic builds up the base but its social initiative which will keep it.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Define success in life?
    r.i.p.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    Academic qualifications - success in childhood. That's it.
    After that, it's all about experience.
    Agreed.
    My Dad has very few academic qualifications (my mother has considerably more), yet we manage to visit Florida for up to 7 or 8 weeks per year, nice car, nice house, etc. None of my parents drink excessive amounts of alcohol, we don't smoke, we don't do drugs - we only buy what we need and I think that is where so many people go wrong.

I do agree the term "success in life" is much to be defined. Is success a happy life? Or a life with lots of money? I daresay the top businessmen may lead a rather pathetic lifestyle all work and no play - is that considered successful? I wouldn't say so.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Qualifications are useful for jobs you're aiming to get into such as dentistry etc. They're not useful for things like business where you could rely on experience OR if you plan to own your own business, you can just go straight into it like Lord Sugar and the Virgin guy

That said, the older generation have it tough too. If you were a legal secretary you didn't need qualifications as such, so if you quit and aim to become a legal secretary again in the future, you're nearly always expected to be qualified, even though you've been in that position before. It's the newer generation that brought in the importance of qualifications - qualifications in the older generation only really served important for doctors, teachers, dentists, veterinarians and so forth.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Take a look at Greg Cooper. (awfy) Prime example that success does not have to come with excessive schooling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast