HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

Default Should we get rid of the monarchy?

The unelected head of state (The Queen) lives in a palace while the public work hard whilst paying taxes to keep this scheme running.

This system also gives politicians almost limitless power, here are a few examples:

• “The royal prerogative: Former royal powers that allow the Prime Minister to declare war or sign treaties (amongst other things) without a vote in Parliament
    • The Privy Council: A body of advisors to the monarch, now mostly made up of senior politicians, which can enact legislation without a vote in Parliament
    • The Crown-in-Parliament: The principle, which came about when parliament removed much of the monarch's power, by which Parliament can pass any law it likes - meaning our liberties can never be guaranteed. “
    I think we should abolish the monarchy system andreplace the queen with a directly elected, ceremonial head of state.

Source : http://www.republic.org.uk
    Last edited by The Don; 20-09-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    That's when Ron vanished, came back speaking Spanish
    Lavish habits, two rings, twenty carats

Tokens

Latest Awards:

No, simply because of the huge history.

Tourists come from all over the world to see the Palace, and are obsessed with the monarch. Removing that would be silly imo.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Ajthedragon

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Marketing View Post
    No, simply because of the huge history.

Tourists come from all over the world to see the Palace, and are obsessed with the monarch. Removing that would be silly imo.
    With you, especially as these days the monarchy is much for in-touch with normal Britons. Take Harry and his work in the army, and William as a search and rescue pilot.

Plus with the money they bring to UK through tourism and image, I think they're a fantastic and unique monarchy to have.
    One for the road. :rolleyes:

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

We already have a President, his name is Herman Van Rompuy with his unelected deputy Jose Barroso. These two, unlike the Queen and the Monarchy, make the bulk of our laws, are foreign (therefore do not have our interests at heart) and are unelected. If you wish to work towards a constitutional system which is wholely elected, the Monarchy isn't a big part of this - the European Union is. Why is it I wonder, that many in Republic direct so much effort towards abolishing our excellent consitutional system on the basis of it being 'unelected' whilst at the same time we hear not a peep from them on the issue of the European Union. Most likely because those in Republic fully support our membership and have no problem with this project exactly because it is anti-British, unlike the Monarchy.

On the issue of the Monarchy itself, our constitutional system has evolved over many hundreds of years to have the perfect balance we have now - why should we want to tinker with it and destablise this unique system? we have a non-political Head of State who works enormously hard, has great influence and respect around the world and embodies the United Kingdom. As for the Privy Council, it is a null point - it is a largely ineffective body which does very little anymore, if anything at all and is therefore a void point.

After all, would you want the likes of 'Tone' and Cherie lording over us at Buckingham Palace? pass me the sick bucket.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 20-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Hasn't this debate been done already.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

One worded answer would be no. I'd rather a Queen than someone who runs a country for about 3 or 5 years, dies, and no one cares about. At least the monarchy reign for most of their life time and in that time learn what the citizens want, and the people of said nation can have a familiar face to look up to. Besides, the Royal family and the monarchy do more than the public servants we waste time and energy in voting in, which barely relate to their electorate and just sit in offices all day pretending to care about what their constituents want. The Royal Family are more British than the toffs who do not know what a real Britain is. Let's see some MPs fight a real war, play real sports and actually have "real" lives outside of their tiny little worlds

/mumbled rant which should probably be edited but I don't have much time this evening

Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    We already have aPresident, his name is Herman Van Rompuy with his unelected deputy JoseBarroso. These two, unlike the Queen and the Monarchy, make the bulk of ourlaws, are foreign (therefore do not have our interests at heart) and areunelected.

And if it were my choice we’d be straight out of the EUalso?
    If you wish to work towards a constitutional system whichis wholely elected, the Monarchy isn't a big part of this - the European Unionis.
    One step at a time. We need to scrap the Monarchy andleave the EU but obviously neither are easy task.
    Why is it I wonder, that many in Republic direct so mucheffort towards abolishing our excellent consitutional system on the basis of itbeing 'unelected'
    Most likely because those in Republic fully support our membership and have no problem with this project exactly because it is anti-British,unlike the Monarchy.
    The monarchs live in luxury, off the taxes of the workingclass. The queen lives in a palace while thousands live in council estates. How much of tax payers money was spent on the royal wedding? Or actually, how muchof the tax payers money is spent on maintaining this ridiculous scheme?
    On the issue of the Monarchy itself, our constitutional system has evolved overmany hundreds of years to have the perfect balance we have now
    How is it the perfect balance? The unelected royals living in luxury whilst majority of citizens have to work hard all their lifeto provide said royals with their possessions.
    why should we want to tinker with it and destablise thisunique system?
    Change isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

we have a non-political Head of State who works enormously hard, has great influence and respect around the world and embodiesthe United Kingdom.
    It would be better to have an elected head of state, one who knows what they’re doing and can actually have influence over decisions made.

I think you care too much about preserving tradition rather than advancing society. I think it’s disgusting that people are struggling to pay for their petrol because of crippling taxes to up keep this unelected group who have done nothing to earn their position and are merely born into it.

We should elect our leaders, not have them imposed on us.
    That's when Ron vanished, came back speaking Spanish
    Lavish habits, two rings, twenty carats

Tokens

Latest Awards:

no, as an american the monarchy gives me something to admire

Tokens

Latest Awards:

This debate has been done before but I'll still post something about this.

Imo, the monarchy involves a long history whether it's at UK or Malaysia. So, getting rid of it is just quite silly as they are there for something. If it's not for tourism, it's for the country. The monarchy is almost what runs the country and I think it's a good thing. The whole family represents the country for its good identity. In my country, an elected monarch or we call him Yang di-Pertuan Agong is the head of state. And nothing is bad about it.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    And if it were my choice we’d be straight out of the EUalso?

One step at a time. We need to scrap the Monarchy andleave the EU but obviously neither are easy task.

The monarchs live in luxury, off the taxes of the workingclass. The queen lives in a palace while thousands live in council estates. How much of tax payers money was spent on the royal wedding? Or actually, how muchof the tax payers money is spent on maintaining this ridiculous scheme?
    [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
    How is it the perfect balance? The unelected royals living in luxury whilst majority of citizens have to work hard all their lifeto provide said royals with their possessions.

Change isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

It would be better to have an elected head of state, one who knows what they’re doing and can actually have influence over decisions made.

I think you care too much about preserving tradition rather than advancing society. I think it’s disgusting that people are struggling to pay for their petrol because of crippling taxes to up keep this unelected group who have done nothing to earn their position and are merely born into it.

We should elect our leaders, not have them imposed on us.
    I believe kate middletons parents also paid a large chunk of the wedding, as much as they could.

---

Also Dan, no one asked about the ******* EU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast