HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    the.games

Latest Awards:

Default Book Club - Harry Potter: Book 1

The public have voted and the book chosen for discussion this week is....

----

Remember to get involved in the discussion for your chance to win 1 months forum VIP!

----

Discussion will remain open for a week.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

the first book was the beginning of my HATE for the dudleys. it makes me feel so grateful having my family, although they're not real people i'm sure there are similar cases. i also didn't think it was right about them lying about their parents death! poor harry.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

I was rereading this just the other week and I find J K Rowling's writing genius! It fascinates me just how well she manages to keep a main plot going while introducing lots of little sub-plots along the way! I adore the way she's managed to come up with this idea of Muggles not knowing about wizards, therefore magic could exist in real life too, but we're just all Muggles.

It's very clever how she makes Hermione really annoying at the start of the book. So much so that it almost looks like she's going to be an enemy of Harry and Ron's, but then all of a sudden she's not so brave or clever and they become friends straight away.

I remember when I first read this book, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in six hours straight, from 10pm to 4am, and was exhausted the next day! (It was so worth it though).

Tokens
    Habbo
    sophiethenerd

Latest Awards:

What I really loved was how the first book was so happy. It was really all about discovering the world along with Harry, with subtle things dropped in which would later return in a darker form.
    Also Dudley is a bobba.
    Hi

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by sophiethenerd View Post
    What I really loved was how the first book was so happy. It was really all about discovering the world along with Harry, with subtle things dropped in which would later return in a darker form.
    Also Dudley is a bobba.
    I absolutely agree. I think it's really nice how they didn't drop an 11 year old boy into anything too heavy and dark. Doing something like that would probably have made the books seem a lot less realistic too because, let's face it, how many 11 year olds could ever face You Know Who at full power, magic or no magic?

Tokens
    Habbo
    sophiethenerd

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Empired View Post
    I absolutely agree. I think it's really nice how they didn't drop an 11 year old boy into anything too heavy and dark. Doing something like that would probably have made the books seem a lot less realistic too because, let's face it, how many 11 year olds could ever face You Know Who at full power, magic or no magic?
    Yeah exactly. It was that element of realism combined with fantasy that really made the Harry Potter books great for me, and the reason I think they were so successful.
    Hi

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquidLuck.

Latest Awards:

Omg Harry Potter fan here but shame on me, because I only read the first book entirely in like 2007. D: I remember it was the first movie I saw though, of Harry Potter, Portuguese version since I couldn't even read subtitles back in 2001 when I was 5 years old.

I remember that during the holidays of like 2005 though, my aunt (who loved Harry Potter like a teenager LOL) gave me the first book to read, and I gave up after the first pages because there were so many words I didn't understand I just couldn't be bothered to read it. (Shame on me again!)

Although, after I saw the other movies, I started enjoying Harry Potter so much I decided to read the books. I totally loved the first one even though I started being really afraid of Voldemort (I remember when I went to see the movie, I threw up in the cinema's floor when he appeared... oh God, if I was told back then I'd come to LOVE Harry Potter, I wouldn't have believed it at all!).

I think the cast was great and something I love to do is watch the first movie and then all the way to the last and just see how they all grew up and when I read parts of the book like Hermione totally being disgusted by Ron, or Ron just considering girls, mainly Hermione, totally insane, and then how we already know they end up together.. they were so meant to be! It's really watching these bunch of kids we adored grow up and become adults, it's so cute.

Talking about J.K. Rowling, I think everyone has to admit that even if when a book is considered a hit, it doesn't always mean it's a good book (just consider Twilight), but all the Harry Potter saga is amazing. Beginning with the fact that not only her writings is fantastic, but she created a whole other world with something that every kid wants to be real: magic!

No matter what anyone says, I'll secretly always be waiting for my Hogwarts letter to be in my mailbox.

Tokens
    Habbo
    the.games

Latest Awards:

This discussion has been extended a little and will now end on Friday.

Make sure to get involved before then .

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Disagree, the first book's actually pretty dark even for an 11 year old. Got the murder of his parents, some forbidden forest shenanigans that were quite dark and dun dun dun a teacher dies after having harry's mortal enemy in the back of his head!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Despair.

Latest Awards:

For me the first Harry Potter was quite enjoyable. It did make me hate a few characters, but it was very well wrote and I think J.K. Rowling did a smashing job.
    People like grapes.