HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    welldonemate

Latest Awards:

Default BREAKING NEWS: Sepp Blatter resigns as FIFA president amid bribery scandal

Absolutely loving this! May the beautiful game return!

Good bye you old *******

Sepp Blatter has sensationally announced his intention to resign as the head of FIFA after a 17-year career that has ended in infamy. In an astonishing announcement at FIFA HQ in Zurich this evening, Blatter revealed that he will call an emergency congress of FIFA executives to vote in his replacement.
    While no timetable has yet been set for the election, officials have said it could take place any time between December this year and March next year. Blatter will continue in his role until then.
    At a hastily organised press conference this evening, Blatter said: 'I have been reflecting deeply about my presidency and about the forty years in which my life has been inextricably bound to FIFA and the great sport of football. I cherish FIFA more than anything and I want to do only what is best for FIFA and for football.
    Scroll down for video

+13

Sepp Blatter has announced he will stand down as FIFA president - though will continue in the role until an 'extraordinary congress' can be called to vote in a successor

+13

Blatter made the announcement at a hastily organised press conference this afternoon, saying he had made the decision after considering what was best for football

+13

Blatter's shock resignation comes after days of defiant rhetoric in which he tried to position himself as the saviour of modern football, saying he had a 'secret plan' to end corruption

'I felt compelled to stand for re-election, as I believed that this was the best thing for the organisation. That election is over but FIFA's challenges are not. FIFA needs a profound overhaul.
    'While I have a mandate from the membership of FIFA, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football – the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at FIFA.
    'Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as FIFA President until that election.
    'The next ordinary FIFA Congress will take place on 13 May 2016 in Mexico City. This would create unnecessary delay and I will urge the Executive Committee to organise an Extraordinary Congress for the election of my successor at the earliest opportunity.
    'This will need to be done in line with FIFA's statutes and we just allow enough time for the best candidates to present themselves and to campaign.

Sepp Blatter resigns as FIFA president amid bribery scandal

+13

Blatter told journalists gathered in Zurich this evening that 'what matters to me more than anything is that when all of this is over, football is the winner' before leaving the press conference (pictured)

+13

Blatter's 17-year reign as FIFA's top official has looked increasingly untenable since the FBI charged 14 officers with high-level corruption last week

'Since I shall not be a candidate, and am therefore now free from the constraints that elections inevitably impose, I shall be able to focus on driving far-reaching, fundamental reforms that transcend our previous efforts.
    'For years, we have worked hard to put in place administrative reforms, but it is plain to me that while these must continue, they are not enough.
    'The Executive Committee includes representatives of confederations over whom we have no control, but for whose actions FIFA is held responsible. We need deep-rooted structural change.

'The size of the Executive Committee must be reduced and its members should be elected through the FIFA Congress.

'The integrity checks for all Executive Committee members must be organised centrally through FIFA and not through the confederations. We need term limits not only for the president but for all members of the Executive Committee.
    'I have fought for these changes before and, as everyone knows, my efforts have been blocked.
    'This time, I will succeed. I cannot do this alone. I have asked Domenico Scala to oversee the introduction and implementation of these and other measures.
    The 'belated' resignation of Sepp Blatter is 'only the beginning of the process of change we need to see'
    Culture Secretary John Whittingdale

'[Domenico Scala] is the Independent Chairman of our Audit and Compliance Committee elected by the FIFA Congress.
    'He is also the Chairman of the ad hoc Electoral Committee and, as such, he will oversee the election of my successor.
    'Mr. Scala enjoys the confidence of a wide range of constituents within and outside of FIFA and has all the knowledge and experience necessary to help tackle these major reforms.
    'It is my deep care for FIFA and its interests, which I hold very dear, that has led me to take this decision.
    'I would like to thank those who have always supported me in a constructive and loyal manner as President of FIFA and who have done so much for the game that we all love.
    'What matters to me more than anything is that when all of this is over, football is the winner.'
    The 'belated' resignation of Sepp Blatter as Fifa's president is 'only the beginning of the process of change we need to see', Culture Secretary John Whittingdale has said.
    THE FALL OF A GIANT: HISTORY OF SEPP BLATTER'S CAREER

+13

Sepp Blatter pictured in 2002, four years into his 17-year tenure at the head of world football's governing body

Born on March 10, 1936 in the Swiss town of Visp.
    Early Career
    Graduated from the Sion and St Maurice colleges in Switzerland and then secured a Bachelor of Business Administration and Economics degree from the Faculty of Law at Lausanne University.
    Was an active footballer from 1948-1971, playing in Swiss amateur leagues. He was a member of the board of Neuchatel Xamax soccer club from 1970-1975.
    Blatter began his professional career as Head of Public Relations of the Valaisan Tourist Board in Switzerland and in 1964 became General Secretary of the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation.
    As Director of Sports Timing and Public Relations at watch and timings firm Longines, he was involved in the organisation of the 1972 and 1976 Olympic Games, getting his first taste of the international sports scene.
    At FIFA
    Became FIFA secretary general in 1981 and, after 17 years serving under Joao Havelange, replaced the Brazilian as president in 1998.
    Faced trouble in 2002 when FIFA's then secretary general Michel Zen-Ruffinen said Blatter's 1998 election victory was based on bribery and corruption and that FIFA was being financially mismanaged at the highest levels. Blatter denied the allegations.
    Beat Issa Hayatou of Cameroon, president of the Asian confederation, in the 2002 presidential election before being returned unopposed in 2007.
    In 2004 Blatter attracted scorn from the women's game when he suggested women players should wear tighter shorts.
    Won a fourth term in 2011 when challenger Mohamed Bin Hammam of Qatar was barred from FIFA on bribery charges.
    Blatter has survived a series of scandals during his term in office including widespread accusations that Qatar bought the right to stage the 2022 World Cup.
    Qatar have always denied any wrongdoing.
    Faced FIFA's ethics committee in 2011 in the wake of the bribery scandal that led to Bin Hammam's life ban. Blatter was never accused of being involved in the bribery, but there were allegations he know of its existence and did not act.
    All charges against him were dismissed.
    2015 Election
    In 2011 Blatter said he would retire four years later, but instead sought a fifth term of office and won the election on May 29, 2015 after his only rival Prince Ali bin Al Hussein withdrew following a first round of voting where the Swiss was clearly in the lead.
    Despite widespread calls for Blatter's resignation after what was described as the worst day in FIFA's history, when seven serving officials were arrested on bribery charges two days before the 2015 election, he told delegates: 'Football needs a strong and experienced leader.
    'One that knows all the ins and outs and can work with our partners'.
    Overcoming opposition from European soccer's governing body UEFA, who threatened at one point to boycott the Congress, he was duly elected for another four years.
    Blatter said on Tuesday at a hastily-arranged news conference that he would resign as president, six days after the FBI raided a hotel in Zurich and arrested several FIFA officials.
    'FIFA has been my life ... what counts most for me is FIFA and football around the world,' he said. 'An extraordinary Congress is to be called to elect my successor as soon as possible.'

The sudden departure of the head of world football's governing body just days after being re-elected to the role - despite the arrests of Fifa officials on suspicion of decades of bribe-taking - was warmly welcomed by UK politicians.
    Prime Minister David Cameron was among those who had publicly called for him to go amid widespread demands from critics for the controversial decisions to award World Cups to Russia and Qatar to be reopened.
    He's stood down. He's gone. Let’s celebrate
    Greg Dyke

Mr Whittingdale said: 'Governments, national associations and international confederations, along with players and fans, have all called for Sepp Blatter to resign in recent days.
    'We welcome his belated announcement today but this is only the beginning of the process of change we need to see from Fifa.
    'I sincerely hope this is the first step to a new Fifa that can command the confidence and respect of the football world once again.'
    Speaking to Sky News this evening, FA chairman Greg Dyke, who had been pressing for Blatter to step down, hailed it as a 'great day for football'.
    He said: 'It is great for football worldwide and great for football here. We could not have sorted out FIFA while he was there.
    'It is a deeply flawed and possibly corrupt organisation the reform that is necessary was not going to happen while he was there.'

+13

Greg Dyke, the chairman of the FA (left), has hailed Blatter's resignation this evening as 'a great day for football' while Michael Platini, the head of Uefa (right), had previously called for him to stand down

Mr Dyke added that questions are now likely to be raised over the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, saying the organisers 'will not be sleeping well tonight'.
    Other footballing figures such as Gary Lineker, former FA executive Adrian Bevington, and Uefa president Michael Platini have all lined up to hail Blatter's decision to step down.
    Looking ahead to the election, Jordanian Prince Ali Bin al-Hussein has announced he will stand again for the presidential role, having run against Blatter four days ago, forcing a second round of voting, but withdrawing from the race when it became apparent he would not win.
    Former French international David Ginola has also announced he will revive his presidential bid after withdrawing from the latest election earlier this year.
    Blatter is currently under the microscope as the FBI investigate whether bribes were authorised by the world governing body.
    It comes on the day FIFA was plunged into fresh turmoil after an explosive letter appeared to contradict its claims that Sepp Blatter's right-hand man was not involved in the payment of an alleged $10million bribe.
    The payment is at the heart of an FBI probe which claims the money was given to disgraced former vice-president Jack Warner and his deputy Chuck Blazer in return for them voting for the 2010 World Cup to be played in South Africa.
    Secretary general Jerome Valcke was last night suspected of signing off the payment, but FIFA issued a statement this morning robustly denying he had any involvement.
    They insisted it was instead authorised by Julio Grondona, the former finance chief and Blatter's long-time ally who died last year.
    However, just an hour later, a letter from the South African Football Association emerged that appeared to blow apart those claims.

+13

Jerome Valcke (left) has a word in the ear of FIFA president Sepp Blatter in December 2014

+13

This letter addressed to Jerome Valcke was published by SABC News on Tuesday morning

+13

Julio Grondona (right) unveils Diego Maradona as Argentina manager when he was their FA president in 2008

The letter, from South African FA president Molefi Oliphant, was addressed to Valcke and asked for the payment to be withheld from World Cup funds and paid instead to Warner to support football in the Caribbean.
    It contains detailed instructions for the payment.
    The letter, dated March 4, 2008, states:
    'Dear Mr Valcke
    'In view of the decision by the South African government that an amount of USD 10million from the organising committee's future operational budget funding and thereafter advances the amount to the Diaspora Legacy Programme.
    'In addition, SAFA requests that the Diaspora Legacy Programme be administered and implemented directly by the President of CONCACAF who shall act as a fiduciary of the Fund.
    'SAFA therefore confirms that:
    '1. FIFA shall withhold USD 10million from the organising committee's future operational budget funding in order to finance the Diaspora Legacy Programme, thereby reducing the organising committee's overall budget from USD 423million to USD 413 million.
    '2. The Diaspora Legacy Programme shall be administered and implemented directly by the President of CONCACAF who shall act as a fiduciary of the Diaspora Legacy Programme Fund of USD 10million.
    'Yours faithfully, Dr M Oliphant.'

+13

Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner speaks at a political rally in Trinidad & Tobago last weekend

Jack Warner slams Sepp Blatter as a crook and a thief

FIFA has announced an unexpected news conference at its Zurich headquarters at 5pm BST.
    No details of the subject matter were given by FIFA, which announced the event less than 90 minutes before it was due to start, but Blatter is expected to be in attendance.
    The payment is at the heart of the FIFA bribery scandal – a US justice department indictment of 18 people on corruption charges says the money was paid to Warner and his deputy Chuck Blazer in return for them voting for the 2010 World Cup to be played in South Africa.
    According to the US indictment, the money was siphoned off into Warner's personal accounts and he paid $750,000 of a promised $1million to Blazer.
    FIFA insisted Valcke nor any other senior management figure was involved.
    A previous FIFA statement said: 'The payments totalling USD 10million were authorised by the then chairman of the Finance Committee and executed in accordance with the organisation regulations of FIFA.
    'FIFA did not incur any costs as a result of South Africa's request because the funds belonged to the LOC.
    'Both the LOC and SAFA adhered to the necessary formalities for the budgetary amendment.'
    The FIFA statement follows a New York Times report that American law enforcement officials believe Valcke transferred the money in 2008 to accounts controlled by Warner.

+13

Chuck Blazer (centre) received $750,000 of a promised $1million from Jack Warner

FIFA reacted to the letter insisting the finance committee made the final approval, not Valcke.
    A FIFA spokesperson said via email: 'The letter is consistent to our statement where we underlined that the FIFA Finance Committee made the final approval.
    'In general, the FIFA Secretary General is the recipient of all letters and requests to the administration and acts in accordance with FIFA's regulations.
    'We would like to reiterate that neither the Secretary General Jerome Valcke nor any other member of FIFA's senior management were involved in the initiation, approval and implementation of the Diaspora project.'
    Former South African President Thabo Mbeki has denied his government paid bribes to secure the World Cup.
    The allegation threatens to tarnish a 2010 World Cup which Blatter has claimed as a defining achievement of his 17-year reign.
    The 79-year-old Blatter, who won re-election Friday for a fifth term despite the scandal, denied being the unidentified high-ranking official named in the indictment as having 'caused' the payment.
    'Definitely that is not me,' Blatter said at a news conference on Saturday.
    Warner, a former FIFA vice president, is among 14 FIFA officials and corporate executives charged by the U.S. Department of Justice last Wednesday with running a criminal enterprise that involved more than $150 million in bribes.
    Warner left jail in Trinidad and Tobago on Thursday after he was granted bail and immediately turned on Blatter.
    'Why are there no investigations in Asia, or in Europe?' Warner asked German magazine Stern in an interview released on Monday.
    'Why are there no investigations into Sepp Blatter? No other person has brought so much shame and disgrace on FIFA.'
    A court transcript released on Monday said that Warner's son, Daryan Warner, secretly agreed in 2013 to co-operate with U.S. authorities and to admit to participating in a World Cup ticket-reselling scheme.

+13

One of seven FIFA executives arrested on Wednesday by Swiss police (above) on indictments for corruption brought by U.S. authorities gets into a police car while hotel staff hide him behind a bed sheet

As it happened: FIFA officials arrested in dawn raid

Like his brother Daryll, Daryan had agreed to assist U.S. authorities as part of separate plea deals.
    Following Blatter's re-election as FIFA president, the English Football Association's chairman Greg Dyke said his organization would support any boycott led by UEFA, the Union of European Football Associations.
    English Football Association board member Heather Rabbatts said she was withdrawing from FIFA's task force against racism and discrimination with immediate effect.
    But Germany today said it does not want a boycott of World Cup tournaments.
    President of the German Football Association, Wolfgang Niersbach, said: 'We don't want to go down that route of a boycott – that won't accomplish anything.
    'We don't want to get into a situation like with boxing where there are several parallel associations. That doesn't work.'
    The fallout also continued this week for the South American regional body, known as CONMEBOL, and the North American region, known as CONCACAF.
    The scandal threatens the marquee Centennial Copa America tournament, due to be played in the United States next June.
    The indictment detailed a $110 million bribe scheme for the event and named officials from three marketing firms which own the broadcasting rights.
    Nicolas Leoz, an 86-year-old former CONMEBOL president and long-time FIFA executive committee member, was ordered under house arrest in Paraguay.
    The foreign ministry confirmed a request from the United States Embassy for Leoz's arrest and to seek his extradition.
    The seven men detained in Zurich are fighting extradition.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/spo...y-scandal.html

(H)

Tokens
    Habbo
    J25T

Latest Awards:

Default BREAKING NEWS: Sepp Blatter resigns as FIFA president amid bribery scandal

haha good
    bet you they have something on him and now he's ******** it

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Lol nothing will change.

Virtually all international organisations, especially those with heavy influence from non-western nations, are corrupt to the core.

Tokens
    Habbo
    welldonemate

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by j0rd View Post
    haha good
    bet you they have something on him and now he's ******** it
    Exactly! Probably took a deal to not face charges if he quits, but America will take back there word

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    Lol nothing will change.

Virtually all international organisations, especially those with heavy influence from non-western nations, are corrupt to the core.
    True, money & power sometimes can destroy the most decent of men, but after all this scandal, I reckon there gonna be too worried and probably be regulated now
    (H)

Tokens
    Habbo
    J25T

Latest Awards:

Kompany hit the nail on the head with this:

Tokens
    Habbo
    welldonemate

Latest Awards:

Oh you fixed it lol
    (H)

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Indeed, but I have a feeling more will follow. Something has come up over the past few days about Blatter; he was adamant he was staying, and now - suddenly - he resigns. He's been caught out, and more will be too.

@Earthquake, when you copy from the Daily Mail, could you remove the formatting from the copy and paste, please? The text all appears black otherwise, and is impossible to read without highlighting it all on dark skins