HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    xxMATTGxx

Latest Awards:

Default Christmas VIP Charity Nominations 2015

As you may or may not know, Habbox sponsors a Charity ever year during the Christmas period. During this period, all of the takings from the sale of the Christmas VIP go towards to chosen charity.

It's that time of year where we ask you to nominate the charity Habbox should should sponsor this year. The only requirements are that the charity is registered and that the charity is not Alzheimers Society, as we donated to them last year.

Please reply to this thread with your nomination and why it should be supported. The nominations will run over the next few weeks and the charity with the most support at the end will be our Christmas Charity VIP.

Previous Habbox Roles
    Co-Owner of Habbox | General Manager | Assistant General Manager (Staff) | Forum Manager | Super Moderator | Forum Moderator

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

I usually say Shelter because I think homelessness charities are hugely undersupported considering the massive human and economic scale of the problem, but this year I'm advocating for Centrepoint, a charity that works specifically to support homeless people aged 16-25. As nearly the entirety of the forum fits into this age bracket currently I think it's something that we could really get behind - if circumstances had been different in our lives these people without much hope of a future could have been us right now.

Currently around a tenth of the homeless youth in the UK are helped by Centrepoint every year, and their support system isn't limited to housing but also includes health carers and educational officers who help with everything from CV writing and interview techniques to literally training people for IT skills and BTEC qualifications. It's patronised currently by the fabulous Prince William, whose mother Diana was herself patron in her time. That ought to get Dan's vote if nothing else but yeah a seriously good charity working for a seriously good cause that affects the future of the whole country, let's boogie

http://centrepoint.org.uk/ http://centrepoint.org.uk/ http://centrepoint.org.uk/ http://centrepoint.org.uk/
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +
    +2

Tokens
    Habbo
    JennyJukes

Latest Awards:

repost from last year but yeah

Ataxia UK

If you could read this and consider the charity or at least educate yourself on the disorder, I would be really grateful. This is probably the only time I’ll ever talk about it and I hope you take the time out to at least watch the videos. My hopes are that you become more empathetic towards people you may see simply as a ‘wheelchair user’ and realize there is more to some disorders than simply being immobile. On top of this, it may help you be more grateful that you were born in the body that you were born in; one that fights to keep you alive.

Ataxia is a serious debilitating condition with no cure. You may not know anyone with Ataxia or have even heard of it but apathy won’t do any good; it can affect you at any point in your life. 1 in 90 Caucasians carry the gene for the inherited Ataxia – Friedreich’s Ataxia – meaning although you may not get the disease, your children could.

Firstly, as @Kardan; pointed out, last year Ataxia UK got £988,815 in donations, significantly lower than the other charities. It’s a small charity which covers a wide range of disorders that involve Ataxia. The aim of the charity is to research and treat these disorders, eventually finding a cure. Each type of Ataxia comes with its own problems but one of the worst is Friedreich’s Ataxia, which I will be making much reference to as, like everyone else and their charities, I’ve seen first-hand how horrible it is.

What is Ataxia?:
    Ataxia is a group of neurological conditions which cause a degree of disability and problems with physical co-ordination such as walking, balance, writing, speech, sight and swallowing. In Friedreich’s Ataxia, the symptoms progressively get worse and can lead to complications of Diabetes and Cardiomyopathy (disease of the heart muscles), which is the biggest cause of death in those with FA. Life expectancy is roughly 35-50 years of age which has increased considerably. This prolonged longevity and quality of life would absolutely not have been possible without the charity. Freidreich’s has been documented for hundreds of years yet it is only in the past two decades that researchers have found the cause and gained an understanding into the biology of the disorder. Hopefully the charity continues to make progress as I and everyone else affected by it would love to see a cure for this generation.

Causes and Prevalence:
    Ataxia is generally caused by damage to the Cerebellum (in the brain) or somewhere in the Nervous System. This damage results from various factors such as Genes, injuries and Gluten sensitivity.

In Friedreich’s Ataxia, a mutation in a gene called FXN causes a deficiency in a protein called Frataxin. Frataxin is essential for survival of cells in our body and without this, cells become susceptible to oxidative stress damage and slowly die off. As these cells die off, the Spinal Cord, Cerebellum and Peripheral Nerves degenerate and messages from the Spinal Cord on moving the body are unable to reach the brain. In normal people, our bodies fight to stay alive. In Friedreich’s, our body does the opposite. Imagine you or your loved ones body slowly killing itself and there’s nothing you can do but watch it happen.

Cognition remains intact yet those with FA are essentially trapped in their own body; being of sound mind but unable to express it through speech or writing. Obviously this can cause severe distress to the sufferer and their loved ones and so on top of their motor and neurological issues, they are susceptible to mental illness.

It may affect only one person but it affects everyone around them forever and could affect you at any time. 10,000 people in the UK have a form of Ataxia with 1 in 50,000 in the world with Friedreichs and as previously mentioned, 1 in 90 of Caucasians carry the mutated gene for Friedreich's which can be passed through generations.

What the charity has done so far:
    Although there is no cure, the Ataxia foundation has done a lot to help understand and hopefully fight against Ataxia in the future. In only the last few decades, research has pin-pointed the gene responsible for Friedreich’s Ataxia and the causes for many other types of Ataxia. They have gained an understanding of the biological causes and what happens in the Brain and Spinal Cord in Ataxia, something that was not understand hundreds of years ago. Drug trials are being tested but the high cost and little money for such a wide variety of disorders means it can be difficult to continue research.
    In 5 years they have spent £4 million on research, keeping admin fees low and having less staff means less wages. They do however pay volunteers too so the majority of the money goes towards research and drug trials, support groups and centres for those with Ataxia or supporting people who help raise money. No matter what happens, it will be a charity I will support for the rest of my life but any help given would be extremely welcome.

Their vision is to find a cure for one or all Ataxia’s by 2020!

When writing about this disorder and indeed any other disorder, it is difficult to fully give an account and image of really how badly it affects people. I myself would be apathetic to it if it didn’t affect me because it’s so unknown and thus easy to not care about. I’ve included two videos which hopefully you can give some of your time to look at. If you come across someone who walks/talks like they’re drunk, it may be because of something they can’t help. These symptoms, especially combined with walking aids, may be a type of Ataxia. These people are still cognitively well and should not be treated otherwise as they often are.
    Thx

Resources:

A video about the charity’s aims and stories of people with Friedreich’s Ataxia,:

But this video really shows the devastating effects Friedreich’s has on a person:

pigged 25/08/2019

+2

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Ok well I know I'm hardly around anymore but I'd like to put forward a charity called the PSP Association. I know it probably doesn't affect anyone else on this forum but it's extremely close to me.

What's currently online about PSP (progressive supranuclear palsy), particularly on Wikipedia, either doesn't begin to do it justice or is downright incorrect some of the time. I guess the easiest way to describe it would be to think of it as a cross between Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. Just to be clear I should point out that the Alzheimer's-related part of it is entirely to do with attitude and state of mind as a pose to messing with memory.

Also, what makes this charity particularly great for me is that I personally know this man, the top researcher for PSP at Addenbrooke's hospital, and what he's doing. My family member meets with him every month to look for a possible route to treatment. Also, my family member is one of the people who will test out the new "chemical dye" mentioned in the link to help make diagnosis faster. I meet him every few months as he's not only interested in the sufferers but what the members of family think and have noticed about the progression of the disease. If we're struggling, he'll also offer psychological support from one of his team to help us.
    So I guess what I'm saying is, if you choose the PSP Association as HabboxForum's charity, I can personally vouch for exactly where that money is going.

I should take this moment to expand on what I said about looking for possible treatments: There is currently no treatment, let alone a cure. There is obviously treatment for some symptoms (antidepressants for those with depression, sleeping tablets for when the disease keeps you awake, eyedrops for when the muscles in your eyelids stop working, etc.)

Although it's too late for any help for the person I know suffering from it I don't want anyone else to have to go through what he (and we) have been through.
    I don't know how to describe what living with it has been like as it's just become a part of my life now and the abnormality of it has become normal, but I'll just say this: I know all disabilities and illnesses have terrible impacts on the sufferers and their families but I had to watch as we cancelled this family member's one-way flight to Switzerland that he'd been planning.
    I guess that's all I'll say on that front as I think it's unfair to try and guilt trip people into choosing a certain charities; I know whichever one is picked will be a fantastic use of money so in the end so whichever charity is chosen in the end will be a good choice.

Thanks for reading, and sorry this turned out to be so long (And doesn't look as appealing as jen's!)
    Last edited by Empired; 10-11-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: forgot the link
    +4

Tokens
    Habbo
    Baabycakezz

Latest Awards:

The Huntington's disease association.

http://hda.org.uk/jhd/what-is-jhd

I feel like Huntington's Disease isn't very well known. But it is very very close to my heart and since there is no cure I think it is important that we donate to them.

What is Huntington's disease:

Huntington's disease is an inherited condition that damages certain nerve cells in the brain. This brain damage gets progressively worse over time and can affect movement, cognition (perception, awareness, thinking, judgement) and behaviour. Early features can include personality changes, mood swings, fidgety movements, irritability and altered behaviour, although these are often overlooked and attributed to something else.

Huntington's disease was originally called Huntington's chorea ("chorea" is the Greek word for dancing). This is because the involuntary movements associated with the condition can look like jerky dancing. However, "disease" is now the preferred term, because the condition involves a lot more than just abnormal movements.
    Huntington's disease is caused by an inherited faulty gene. However, in around 3% of cases, there's no family history of the condition, normally because the parents died at a young age.

Treating Huntington's disease

There's no cure for Huntington's disease and its progress can't be reversed or slowed down.

As the condition progresses, it may put a strain on family and relationships. Treatments for Huntington's disease aim to improve any mood disturbance; this is done to maintain skills used in daily living that can deteriorate over time. Medication can help manage some of the symptoms, such as irritability or excessive movement. Therapies such as speech and language therapy and occupational therapy can help with communication and day-to-day living.

Support is also available for the family of a person with Huntington's disease. This includes, for example, testing family members who don't have any of the condition's features (manifest) to see whether they carry the gene, or help with choosing a suitable care home in advanced cases.

Huntington's disease usually progresses and gets worse over a 10-25 year period from when it first appears, before the person eventually dies from it. During the condition's later stages, the person will be totally dependent and need full nursing care. Death is usually from a secondary cause, such as heart failure, pneumonia or another infection.

Who's affected by Huntington's disease?

Both men and women with a family history of Huntington's disease can inherit the condition. Symptoms usually start to appear during adulthood.
    Juvenile (children's) Huntington's disease develops before the age of 20. Only 5-10% of people with Huntington's disease develop it at a very young age, and the pattern of features may be different.

It was previously thought that 4-6 people in a population of 100,000 were affected by Huntington's disease. However, UK research carried out in 2012 found the actual figure for those affected by the condition to be about 12 people per 100,000.

It's thought that the number of people who have the Huntington's gene and are not yet affected is about twice that of those who have symptoms.

Here is a list of the features of Huntington's disease (there are loads so I didn't want to copy them all): http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hunting.../Symptoms.aspx
    +2

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Rainbow Trust - https://rainbowtrust.org.uk/about

Looks like it's only for England, not the UK as a whole or anywhere else but it still sounds like a good charity. I think I posted this one last year too.

Rainbow Trust supports over 25% of the 6,000 families in England who have a child aged 0-18 years of age with a life threatening or terminal illness and need the bespoke support we offer. We support the whole family 24/7, 365 days a year, regardless of diagnosis.
    We provide emotional and practical support for families who have a seriously ill child. We offer the whole family support 24/7 regardless of diagnosis and for as long as it is needed.

Our vision is for all families who have a child with a life threatening or terminal illness to have access to a Rainbow Trust carer at this time of great need.
    The day I get to 200 in Ping Pong II is the day my life is complete.
    +2

Tokens
    Habbo
    !:random!:!

Latest Awards:

http://www.mind.org.uk/

The mental health charity.

This is a charity that supports and gives knowledge for what each mental health is and how to help others/yourself.

There statement "We provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaignto improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding. We won't give up until everyone experiencing a mental health problem gets support and respect."

What is mental health?
    Some people call mental health ‘emotional health’ or ‘well-being’ and it’s just as important as good physical health.
    Mental health is everyone’s business. We all have times when we feel down or stressed or frightened. Most of the time those feelings pass. But sometimes they develop into a more serious problem and that could happen to any one of us.
    Everyone is different. You may bounce back from a setback while someone else may feel weighed down by it for a long time.
    Your mental health doesn’t always stay the same. It can change as circumstances change and as you move through different stages of your life.
    There’s a stigma attached to mental health problems. This means that people feel uncomfortable about them and don’t talk about them much. Many people don’t even feel comfortable talking about their feelings. But it’s healthy to know and say how you’re feeling.

What treatment is there?
    .therapy (talking, CBT, art)
    . Medication (Different depending on the mental health issue you have)
    . Can be long term (No treatment, except learning to know your "triggers")

Want to hear peoples personal experience and how the charity has helped them?

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s...r-stories.aspx

So why did I choose the charity?

Well as some may know and others perhaps not, My mum and uncle both have mental illnesses.
    First of all I will tell you my uncles story. He seemed to always be sad. As he got older and reached the age of 22 his mental illness became apparent. He had left a note saying goodbye to his mum (my granny) when she later read it she was over come by shock and rang the police. He had wandered off somewhere in the winter. It took police a week to find him and when they did he was in a field, freezing. They took him to hospital where he was treated and later diagnosed with bipolar disorder and depression.

Now he is much better, although his mental health will always be the same, the medication does help.

Now my mum. So my mum is a little different, my granny calls her a episode of EastEnders. Throughout my mums like massive unexpected events have happened (almost, always bad) and to be honest I can agree, I will always wish for something to go right once for her. September 2012 my step-dad died, she took this really bad. They had been together for 12 years and were talking about getting married. She also had the misfortune of watching him struggle for his last breath.
    She plunged into a deep depression and some days would barely even move out of bed. September 2013, I found out I was pregnant and told her the same day I had found out. She didn't know what to do and took me to see my granny. Early October I had a scan to estimate how far gone I was, 23 weeks. This shocked her so much and she began to cry uncontrollably. Soon she began to warm up to the idea of having a grandchild and supported me so much. But then she looked at spiritualism. she practiced it so much and when she became so wrapped up in it she started hearing voices, not sleeping at night, talking in different voices, always cleaning for hours on end, not eating or cooking any tea, ect.
    One night in January it got so bad she woke me up at 2am and told me she was dying that the voices were coming to kill her and me. She went downstairs to talk to one of her voices and I immediately called for danny and cash (my cats) and barricaded us in my bedroom. I told my granny 2 days later and she swore to protect me. February 2014 I gave birth to my son and went home 2 days later. My mum seemed quiet and back to her normal self but then a week later she came to my room and told me my granddad (died 2 months before I was born) is going to kill me and James. At this point was when I most feared my mum. the next day I moved out. a few weeks later she was admitted to hospital and was diagnosed with sycosis and schizophrenia. Since then my mum has only had one relapse (august 2015).
    She will have this for life and only medication and CBT can calm her. With the medication she is herself again but at the moment she is suffering night terrors.

MIND the mental health charity, has helped me understand my mums mental health and also my uncles. It has helped me help my mum in lots of different ways. I hope to show it to my mum once her night terrors have stopped in the hope it does help and let her know she is not alone.

!:random!:! / Becky
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/bonkers_becky

+3

Tokens
    Habbo
    Mrs_Plant

Latest Awards:

I would like to suggest Wallace & Gromit's Childrens Charity
    https://wallaceandgromitcharity.org/

Being a parent myself i could never cope seeing my little one in a hospital during christmas. When this is a time you are to be at home with your loved ones. So when i see a little charity like this who make children feel like they are still a part of a normal life makes me feel like there are still people out there willing to help.

Wallace & Gromit Childrens Charity Information.

Wallace & Gromit's Children's Charity is a national charity raising funds to improve the lives of sick children in hospitals and hospices throughout the UK.

Since 2003, Wallace & Gromit's Children's Charity has given over £2 million in grants to 291 projects in 93 different hospitals and hospices, providing life-saving medical equipment, free family accommodation, a range of arts, music and play therapy programmes, sensory equipment and facilities and respite care.

We support regional and local children's hospitals and hospices, and ensure that our grants benefit local communities throughout England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

We are the only children's charity supporting sick children in hospitals and hospices throughout the UK.

Since its establishment, the charity has been supported by Aardman Animations, whose Oscar-winning characters Wallace & Gromit spearhead our fundraising. The founding Directors of Aardman Animations, David Sproxton and Peter Lord, as well as the Creator of Wallace & Gromit, Nick Park are Trustees of the Charity.

The difference they aim to make..
    We fund projects that ensure that whilst in hospital and hospice care, children can still play, socialise and recuperate from treatment in a child-friendly environment. We also support parents and siblings as we know how vital it is to care for the whole family during extremely difficult times.
    Demelza Hospice Care for Children
    Funding from Wallace & Gromit Children’s Charity has helped Demelza Hospice Care for Children in Kent provide pre and post bereavement music therapy. They were able to support a three year old girl, who arrived at Demelza for End of Life Care over a two week period with her siblings and parents. Her grandparents were also able to visit and stay within this period.
    The therapist was able to support the family in making CDs and DVDs of their child, including music-making with parents, siblings and with the infant, singing to the infant, whilst capturing her responses on a recording, helping the family to connect with their feelings and make lasting memories.
    After the girl passed away, the bereaved parents and siblings were invited to write short stories, poetry and talk about their child. The therapist then met with the family over a period of weeks to facilitate their grief work by playing musical instruments as the family members told their stories, recited their poetry and talked about the child.
    Many parents tell Demelza that this approach is so helpful for them, as it is something that they can go back to time and time again; enabling them to stay connected with their emotions and memories around their child or sibling.

Julia’s House Hospice
    Julia’s House Hospice applied for a grant to provide a dedicated Playmaker for Life Limited children. For children that require specialist care it can difficult for them and their parents to take part in play and this playmaker has been able to create tailored plans for the children and assist parents and carers, making a precious difference to children and their families.
    Funding to provide a dedicated playmaker for life-limited children has made an invaluable difference to children and their families at Julia’s House Hospice. At Julia’s House there is an 11 year old boy who suffers with complex disabilities meaning that he needs to be moved from one place to another using a mechanical hoist. He found the hoist very traumatic and would often go into complete panic when it was even moved towards him.
    The playmaker was able to devise a plan to desensitise him to the use of the hoist. Over a period of 4 months, using toys and other play techniques, the staff were able to introduce him being lifted from one room to another, without panic. They made up a song which was sang each time he was moved, providing a distraction and consistency to his transition.
    These techniques were passed onto his parents and his school to ensure that the hoist became a positive aspect of his life. He made life-changing progress from being in a position of fear, to being relaxed, confident and smiling when moved.

Lister Hospital
    Thanks to Wallace & Gromit's Children's Charity, Lister Hospital were able to fund a Rhino Sensory Voyager, a piece of machinery that projects coloured images into ceilings and walls, plays sensory music and has fibre optic lights, water bubbles and hand held sensory toys, helping to distract and entertain children treated at the hospital.
    The Play Specialist used the Sensory Voyager in their daily play sessions with a 5 month old child, who was born 3 months premature with significantly delayed development. In each session, the voyager's projector lit up the room with moving colourful shapes and the music system created a soothing and calm environment in which to play. With the projector creating moving shapes on the ceiling, the child was able to move her head to focus, which was excellent for her development and progress.
    The little girl was able to hold the fibre optics in her hand, moving them up towards her face and back again – this was a new experience for her because until then, tubes and tape on her face had been the only sensation she knew. These play sessions were fun and engaging for her − she regularly smiled and giggled throughout. Both her mum and dad used the voyager regularly during her stay and both commented on the difference it made to their child's time in hospital.

Who they help.
    - Demelza Hospice Care for Children

- Lister Hospital

- East Anglia Children's Hospice

- Chestnut Tree House

- Donna Louise Children’s Hospice

- Julia’s House Hospice

- Royal Manchester Children's Hospital

- Alexander Devine Children's Hospice

- Northern Ireland Children's Hospice

- Addenbrooke's Hospital

It is amazing that they make so many changes to so many lives. Making sure that each child and family is enjoying there lives no matter how long they may have left. Please have a read and look onto the site. Each child deserves to have a smile no matter how ill they are.

+2

Tokens
    Habbo
    mdport.

Latest Awards:

This thread will close tomorrow (Sunday 22nd November) at 11:59pm GMT where a poll will be created shortly after for users to vote for their preferred charity.