HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Speaker Bercow to resign from office and as an MP

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow is to resign from office and as an MP

Tenure as Speaker which began in 2009 has been marred with allegations of bullying and breaking constitutional conventions

What an arse.

The damage he has done to such an important and respectable role as Speaker of the House of Commons is grave, and as Dan Hodges has said whether it ever regains its reputation for impartiality is the question. Bercow threw away rules because it suited his political agenda, instead of following convention. Then cried foul when the government prorogued. A massive hypocrite.

A Speaker we shouldn't care about or know about really, because that is what the role really is. But if you look at his announcement, half the House of Commons remained sitting while the other half were standing up clapping - it should be *everyone* clapping at the end of a Speaker's tenure, because if not then something is seriously wrong with impartiality.

I'm supporting current Deputy Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle who has announced his intention to stand. He seems fair, I have no idea of his opinions other than he was in the Labour Party before being Deputy Speaker and he seems a decent guy for the role.

The tradition is that the Speaker is usually granted a peerage... government sources are saying this Speaker ain't getting one.

Thoughts?

Tokens
    Habbo
    Habbic

Latest Awards:

I don't care about politics but felt like commenting.

It's a bit redundant saying his tenure has been marred with accusations of bullying, then essentially bullying him.

Alex's tweet that no-one will thank him, well 48% of the nation will? All politicians are nauseating ******s lets be honest.

Julia's tweet that no-one likes him, that's not exactly a secret no-one likes any politician...

However I'm sure if the tables had turned and he was advocating brexit against the rest then you'd be full of praise for him no matter his actions

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

@scottish;

You haven't understood my point. My point isn't that Speaker Bercow supports Remain therefore I do not like him, because so would have/did former Speakers Baroness Boothroyd and Lord Martin. For all I know the current Deputy Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle supports Remain.

My point is that regardless of Leave or Remain, this Speaker has purposely bent rules and procedures to favour his own preferences, causing enormous damage to the constitution and the office of Speaker. No other Speaker has ever done this. The very fact half the Commons chamber is sat down in silence while the others are applauding should alert to you that this is not normal and not a good place for the Speakership to be in. Even the respected Baroness Boothroyd has called on Speaker Bercow to vacate the Speaker's chair.

And lastly, there have been numerous allegations from former staff in the Speaker's office about his behaviour towards other people. Anyone who follows politics knows that he is not a popular man among his peers at all, and he would have been long gone had he not served as a Remain puppet. Viscount Tonypandy and Baroness Boothroyd were/are held in high regard, Lord Martin lesser so - Bercow on the other hand, history will not be kind to as to how he has conducted himself both inside and outside of the chamber.

If one has strong opinions and isn't prepared to put them aside for the role, then don't become Speaker. Ditto the monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish
    However I'm sure if the tables had turned and he was advocating brexit against the rest then you'd be full of praise for him no matter his actions
    I'd actually be appalled.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 09-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

bercow did nothing wrong and had plenty of support

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Having opinions is fine, we all have opinions. Even if he'd penned a bunch of articles about his feelings on each and every matter I wouldn't be bothered by that (other that to use it as a discussion point perhaps) but while in the chair it's his job to remain impartial; something he didn't do. It's daft to say he did nothing wrong when he literally failed to deliver on one of the most important parts of his well paid job
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

how exactly did he not remain impartial?

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    how exactly did he not remain impartial?
    Breaking parliamentary conventions to hand the opposition power through the misuse of emergency debates and abuse of the parliamentary timetable, not to mention rushing through legislation without scrutiny by curtailing parliamentary time. He himself said back earlier this year that conventions can change - but it appears they only do so when it benefits his own preference. The very fact everyone is debating his legacy today shows that he wasn't impartial.

Here's our impartial Speaker today (watch to the end). Extraordinary.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

please do give an example

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Last night Speaker Bercow made a disgraceful partisan speech from the Speaker's chair upon prorogation.

So rude was he and the Commons to Black Rod (new to the job), the Lord Speaker felt the need to tweet this...

That a Speaker behaves like this is absolutely disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    please do give an example
    That an opposition takes control of the order papers and introduces legislation.

If an opposition wishes to rule, it must topple the government. Parliament is there to hold the government to account, not to *be* the government.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

that doesnt prove any kind of bias one way or another

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast