HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Question Can money buy you happiness?

Can money buy you happiness?

We hear it all the time in films and from inspirational quotes; money can't buy you happiness, but is that really true?

It's probably fair to say that we spend our 'disposable' income on things that make us happy, things that are considered non-essentials such as a Netflix subscription or a smart watch etc... while the rest of the money goes on living costs such as rent/mortgage, food and other various bills.

Most people work 40+ hours a week in order to earn money to allow themselves to have a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs. Some are luckier than others and earn enough to pay for that, along with enough left over to go on holidays and enjoy their free time doing whatever they want, however others are not so fortunate and they feel like they're purely working 40+ hours a week in order to simply 'survive'.

So if the majority of people are only working in order to get money so they can afford to do what they want and have fun during their time off work, then surely logic would dictate that if they didn't have to work because they had enough money to do those things regardless, then that person would be happier right?

They say money can't buy you love, which is probably the real cause behind the saying that 'Money can't buy you happiness' - However wouldn't you argue that if you wasn't constricted by your job, that you would be able to go off exploring the world and doing activities and such that makes you happy, and as a result running into someone who is also doing said activities and thus possibly has similar interests as you.

As the famous quote goes - "They say money can't buy you happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Ferrari"
    or "I wish I had enough money to make me realise that it can't bring me happiness"

What are your views on this?

THIS DEBATE ENDS ON THE 23rd NOVEMBER

For more information on the debate guidelines and how to win prizes see the guidelines thread here
    Last edited by Triz; 16-10-2019 at 08:29 PM.

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

This debate is now open!

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Yeah you can literally buy ecstasy
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    JeffDunham-1

Latest Awards:

Money can not buy you happiness but it can buy a peace of mind and a sense of security.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDunham-1 View Post
    Money can not buy you happiness but it can buy a peace of mind and a sense of security.
    Would you not argue that, that is a form of happiness?

Tokens
    Habbo
    JeffDunham-1

Latest Awards:

It depends on how your defining happiness. Personally, I believe everyone's happiness varies. Some are happy with things they buy. Let's take a phone for example. People want the best features and newest phone that's populating with trend. What happens when the newer version comes out? They are no longer happy with it because now it needs updates or because of it being obsolete. If this is basing off of material then the answer is no. If it is based on necessity such as bills and groceries then the answer is yes because we need those things to survive.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Are you suggesting that paying bills brings more happiness than buying treats for yourself
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

While money does not GUARANTEE happiness there are a hell of a lot of things money can do - take away anxieties, allow you to spend your time how you want, buy luxuries and treats, all of which would contribute to my own personal happiness

so CONTROVERSIALLY maybe I would say yes

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

I personally think that money does solve a larger chunk of peoples problems than people probably care to admit. Whether that be by pure materialistic means or as Laura mentioned, by reducing or even getting rid of stress and anxiety.

We work to get money so that we can pay to do thing during our time off work, so logically if we cut out that middleman and do stuff we wanted without the barrier of finance, then we would be a lot happier right?

I guess it then comes down to if you're always doing what you want; when you want, will the novelty wear off. For example I treat myself to a meal out once a month, if I go for a take away once a week, it'll make it feel like less of a treat, and if I do it everyday, then it'll just become the norm..

Can the same be said about having enough money to do what you want, or would you argue that there is FAAAR too many things to do in this world for anything to ever get repetitive such as having a take-away once a month

Tokens
    Habbo
    LucyFaye

Latest Awards:

Well in my personal experience, money makes life a whole lot easier/more comfortable; and I know I for one am happier with comfort!

When I was working before I got ill, I was earning shy of £2,000 a month, so I could afford to live comfortably, buying whatever I want when I wanted it without having to check the bank and pay for holidays abroad. Life was easy and comfortable.

Since I got too poorly to work and moved onto benefits, it gets really tight to live comfortably without having to budget the food shop or plan ahead for any spends over £50!
    I have had background depression since the age of 15 but my mental health took a huge downfall after a couple of traumatic bereavements, then my physical health deteriorated so I had to leave work!

Living on benefits is definitely a lot harder, and it's hard to find happiness/motivation when you're pretty much just existing. You also feel like a drain on the economy/country since you're not providing anymore.

To the other extreme however, I think there's a limit to how much happiness money can buy! I definitely think enough to buy your ideal home and a holiday at least once a year, especially if you don't have to work/have a job you love, then that's enough.
    Anything over that (Such as £3,000,000,000 resting in the bank with nothing to do with it) is excessive and no longer has anything to contribute towards happiness.

I think PURE happiness is found within, but it's a lot easier to find that happiness in your ideal home/location/freedom, which only money can get.

MANNERS COST NOTHING!

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
    Be kind, always!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast