HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    -:Undertaker:- is online now Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

The problem in Britain (excluding Northern Ireland, some lucky parts of Kent and wealthy areas in southern England and London) is structural, and building new, shiny open-plan Blairite-style canteens for schools won't solve anything as my own former school has found out. Nor will changing GCSEs from A to D to 1 to 9. The fact is that since grammar schools were abolished by the Labour Party (and watched on by the meek Conservatives) across much of this kingdom and replaced with comprehensive schools, the entire thing has become unmanageable - schools of over a thousand pupils of mixed abilities, it just doesn't work. These schools now run as social care centers in deprived areas nowadays, actually feeding students as parents should be doing and employing social care workers at the school to handle situations at home. I know, I went to a school like this and my school was "good" compared to other comprehensives out there.

If you want a good education in Britain now, you have a few options open to you - but they all involve money. Firstly, you can attend a private school if your parents can afford it, or are on the Labour Shadow Cabinet. Secondly, your parents can buy you into the catchment area of a good (often Church) school by buying an expensive property in the area and attending church on Sundays, as the atheist middle classes do. Thirdly, your parents can pay for private tuition outside of school lessons.

If you do not have the options listed above available to you or are not the offspring of a Labour Party Shadow Cabinet minister, then you are screwed and have been screwed like successive generations of the working class by long dead 1960s politicians. You'll have to attend that shitty comprehensive down the road, with no escape no matter what your academic abilities. You - actually gifted academically - will have to sit by, bored, in mixed ability lessons, and watch as a teacher attempts the impossible to control a class of students who have zero respect for authority and have probably seen the Headmaster a handful of times given he acts as a CEO running this huge social care centre rather than an engaged Headmaster of a place of education.

So yes, in Britain the school system should be revised away from the present system which is based on wealth and restricts social mobility, back to the meritocratic grammar school system which at least gave kids from deprived backgrounds a chance. But will it change? I highly doubt it, especially as the well-off upper middle classes who've benefited from the comprehensive system occupy all the top jobs in the country from the City of London to broadcasting, the BBC, Whitehall and society at large. No, unwieldly large comprehensives will continue to be kept open and given grants for new buildings, and grades will continue to fall/be fixed by schools. And we'll keep hearing, as we have since the 1960s, that every child will be given a good education even though we all know this is an impossibility. Rinse and repeat at every election by both major parties.

My Plan for Fixing Britain's schools

- Restore grammar and technical schools based on a flexible 11+ German-style exam.

- New grammars and technical schools to be no more than 300 or 400 pupils maximum in size.

- Encourage the Church of England and Church of Rome to become more involved in opening small schools in deprived areas.

- Disciplinary measures to be instilled by law: morning assembly with prayer, strict observation of national days, compulsory community service.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 05-05-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Country
    England
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Ruth-On-Toast

Latest Awards:

We can change the system, but can we actually enforce it? The problem is not just with the system or if you're rich or live in the right area. The problem is with how these schools are run. All the school wants is good grades and if they have to go against the law to do that then they will.

We need a new system where a school is not judged by how many good grades their students get. That video just seems to be some guy who wants his own way and thinks schools have the time and resources.

I'm coming from someone who were failed by the education system because my school were more interested in excluding me instead of being supportive of my disability. Eventually we had to take legal action against the school. Most of the teachers would be treating me like i'm dumb. This isn't just me and my school, it happens all over the country and too often schools get away with it. Why does the school want us the students to follow their rules yet they can't even stick to following the laws?

We still need homework, we still need kids to have structure and rules and we can't bring them up to think everything moves around them. I think the main thing we need to change is how the schools are assessed. We need to stop students failing just because a school doesn't think they will get the 5 A*- C GCSE's simply because they will not make the school look good so waste of time doing anything with them. We also needs school to provide better training for dealing with student with disabilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12