Habbox Competitions!
Fancy winning credits and other prizes? Check out what competitions we have open on our forum!
Join the Habbox family!
There's an ENORMOUS array of fun and engaging roles here at Habbox - click to see where you might fit, we'd love to have you!
Saturday Night Quiz!
We've changed the way our SNQ runs - come find out more and get those coins!

sexpot is offline Help Desk Manager
    Forum Moderator
    Competitions Staff

Tokens
    Habbo
    Stealth
    View Awards

Default Should children be allowed to play video games?

It's long been a source of contention that video games contribute to violence among children and teens, but is it really true? It's been estimated that 97% of US kids between the ages of 12-17 play some form of video game that has violence in it

Do you think that playing video games as a child and teen contributes to violence, such as bullying and school shootings?

What are your thoughts on this?

We part, only to meet again. 12/11/04

sexpot is offline Help Desk Manager
    Forum Moderator
    Competitions Staff

Tokens
    Habbo
    Stealth
    View Awards

this debate is now live!!!

We part, only to meet again. 12/11/04

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus
    View Awards

Playing games is fine and obviously enjoying oneself is a great thing, but what people often miss is a clear message separating games from real life. The problem with violent games is that they tend to be the more "realistic" ones - Grand Theft Auto games you are literally in the first person view of a human carrying out these acts with humanlike movements, whereas Farmville is just clicking where you want stuff to go from a removed view and so isn't likely to inspire any actual farming.

I won't say that parents are to blame for everything their kids do (I've been a kid LONG AGO and am fully aware that no matter how wonderful my parents were and are, I was a shit if I wanted to be) but if someone grows up just knowing "if I shoot this person and explode these buildings, I win" because they've played the same shooter games their entire childhood then of course they're going to feel more at home with destructive behaviour. Make them switch it up a bit and have some variety in their leisure life, then they're surely less likely to grow up with addictive/obsessive personalities and with any luck fewer aggressive tendencies
    | TWITTER |

Yes it is me, you are welcome.

LUCPIX is offline 🧙エルメート・パスコアール🥚
    Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!
    View Awards

It might depend. There is a reason why orgs as ESRB exist, and it is not only for preventing humans from viewing explicit content in videogames sooner than they should; most likely, it's about the fact that, for someone as a child who still has a sense of the world they live in to be developed (often cycled on school, family...), it may be potentially perilous to provide them a massive exposition of a virtual universe that has physical, moral and/or social values that aren't quite compatible with real life's. At worst, I'd dare to say it could even cause become some sort of "digital autism" — especially in our times, when the videogames' worlds are managing to become as complex as the world of our own. At least, in the past, the pixelated carnival the old games used to be created some type of boundaries that avoided one to subconsciously take it seriously enough to believe that, for example, only mild seriousness is involved on being ran over, or that it is a rewarding and desirable achievement to pitilessly murder a person? But, as I said, it can't be the rule in the case — I'm pretty sure that some of us have been cyberkilling thousands of poor creature sprites since very, very early age and we still have pretty solid and well-built behavioral conducts, even though the risk is there and is primarily influenced by the way one perceives videogames as a medium
    Last edited by LUCPIX; 19-10-2020 at 04:36 PM.