HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Stealth

Latest Awards:

Default Should children be allowed to play video games?

It's long been a source of contention that video games contribute to violence among children and teens, but is it really true? It's been estimated that 97% of US kids between the ages of 12-17 play some form of video game that has violence in it

Do you think that playing video games as a child and teen contributes to violence, such as bullying and school shootings?

What are your thoughts on this?

We part, only to meet again. 12/11/04

Tokens
    Habbo
    Stealth

Latest Awards:

this debate is now live!!!

We part, only to meet again. 12/11/04

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Playing games is fine and obviously enjoying oneself is a great thing, but what people often miss is a clear message separating games from real life. The problem with violent games is that they tend to be the more "realistic" ones - Grand Theft Auto games you are literally in the first person view of a human carrying out these acts with humanlike movements, whereas Farmville is just clicking where you want stuff to go from a removed view and so isn't likely to inspire any actual farming.

I won't say that parents are to blame for everything their kids do (I've been a kid LONG AGO and am fully aware that no matter how wonderful my parents were and are, I was a shit if I wanted to be) but if someone grows up just knowing "if I shoot this person and explode these buildings, I win" because they've played the same shooter games their entire childhood then of course they're going to feel more at home with destructive behaviour. Make them switch it up a bit and have some variety in their leisure life, then they're surely less likely to grow up with addictive/obsessive personalities and with any luck fewer aggressive tendencies
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

It might depend. There is a reason why orgs as ESRB exist, and it is not only for preventing humans from viewing explicit content in videogames sooner than they should; most likely, it's about the fact that, for someone as a child who still has a sense of the world they live in to be developed (often cycled on school, family...), it may be potentially perilous to provide them a massive exposition of a virtual universe that has physical, moral and/or social values that aren't quite compatible with real life's. At worst, I'd dare to say it could even cause become some sort of "digital autism" — especially in our times, when the videogames' worlds are managing to become as complex as the world of our own. At least, in the past, the pixelated carnival the old games used to be created some type of boundaries that avoided one to subconsciously take it seriously enough to believe that, for example, only mild seriousness is involved on being ran over, or that it is a rewarding and desirable achievement to pitilessly murder a person? But, as I said, it can't be the rule in the case — I'm pretty sure that some of us have been cyberkilling thousands of poor creature sprites since very, very early age and we still have pretty solid and well-built behavioral conducts, even though the risk is there and is primarily influenced by the way one perceives videogames as a medium
    Last edited by LUCPIX; 19-10-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

The thing is I grew up with video games, sega master system 2, PS1, N64 etc. But I always knew it was a game. Yes the graphics weren't as good but I don't think it really matters.

It does probably help slightly that people play the right games as in they start with less violent stuff. For example you can kill things technically in a Super Mario game but it helps that the world isn't a real world and maybe this step can help when they go to more realistic stuff. Most parents wouldn't let their really young kids go for something like call of duty as a first game.

I think though video games and film and TV often become a scapegoat. If someone does something like a shooting without an apparent reason people will look for something rather than to admit they just did it. People don't like to think people don't need to have reasons so if they play games its an easy target.

It's like killers who they found had obsessions with horror films. Generally speaking its usually the obsession that led them to the films rather than the other way around

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by peteyt View Post
    It's like killers who they found had obsessions with horror films. Generally speaking its usually the obsession that led them to the films rather than the other way around
    That's a really really good point - people with violent tendencies will naturally gravitate to things where they can experience a surrogate of that violence (be it films or games or even literature), and the existence of these surrogates could even potentially be a positive thing keeping people from turning their thoughts into real world actions
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

A is offline Merry Christmas
    and all the best for 2021...
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Bunnies!

Latest Awards:

honestly, I believe so. If video games wasn't apart of my life when I was growing up and playing habbo and such, then i'd of had a very boring childhood. I was never really accepted as a child and therefore video games and stuff was an escape for me, so why would we ban that from children? I always used to play GTA under the minimum age and i've not gone out and stolen a car or anything, so I don't see the issue personally?

Let kids be kids, as soon as they get jobs then they won't have much time to play on them anyway.

ex. senior dj, events organiser and hxhd staff
    oh, and ex forum mod too...

Tokens
    Habbo
    Jarkie

Latest Awards:

For me personally, playing video games during my childhood and even adult hood has always been a nice escape from the harsh realities from the world. In addition I believe it has helped me with regards to hand-eye coordination, speech and language skills and just general confidence and self-achievement.

Violence in young individuals have always been there WAY before video games were even a thing. Yes, I believe playing violent games could have a minor impact as it allows fantasies to grow and experiment with. But untimely I disagree that video games cause individuals to commit crime.

Tokens
    Habbo
    ,jamiexo

Latest Awards:

I think especially in this day and age (even now with COVID and lockdowns), the kids need something to do if they can't go out to school and can't see their friends. Like all of us, we've turned back to Habbo to be our outlet to keep us sane while cooped up inside our houses. So, I think for the time being, it's a good thing that kids can play the games. Technology is also so prevalent in all of our lives as well, so it's kind of hard not to bring a child up in that kind of environment and not allow them to play games, especially if their friends are playing too.

I agree with the others, though, in that the type of video game is something that should definitely be regulated by parents. When I was younger, I never played any violent shooting games or anything like that, so I think having games that aren't revolving around violence would be what is best for kids.

Another issue brought up about it is how long parents allow their kids to play video games. I think if they're younger, maybe like 10 years or younger, there should be a set time limit on the video games a day/night. I teach a class where I have two siblings, one five and one six years old, and the six year old said that they are allowed to play on the Xbox for one hour a day. I think having a limit like that at that age is good, because then they won't expect to be on it all of the time, and they won't become addicted to playing those games.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Yes. The British climate is terrible and sadly its the only thing to do during the winter months. Added to that, playing Habbo when I was younger helped me with my English skills and typing skills greatly, so it also had benefits as well as obvious downsides such as spending ridiculous amounts of time on it. But hey ho I liked it.