HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Clinical Depression

Does anyone/has anyone suffered with clinical depression?

I've been told I have and been urged to go on medication... but I feel like that is just a sticking plaster over a wound?

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Sticking a plaster over a wound is extremely helpful, it helps keep out any bacteria and protects the scab formed to heal the wound.
    I've not got depression, but much like sticking on a plaster; it won't fix itself overnight, it'll gradually get better, probably so gradual that you might not notice it.

I'd say if you are being urged to go on medication then you should at least consider it, even on a trial basis? I know sometimes they can put you on medication with dummy drugs which often helps people with mild depression, just the placebo effect is enough to start to make a change, however people with more severe depression would be given antidepressants. I only know one person that takes these and he's doing a lot better after taking them regularly (Long story extremely short - He had a kid, 6 years later found out not his kid, mother won't let him see her)

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Sectional View Post
    Sticking a plaster over a wound is extremely helpful, it helps keep out any bacteria and protects the scab formed to heal the wound.
    I've not got depression, but much like sticking on a plaster; it won't fix itself overnight, it'll gradually get better, probably so gradual that you might not notice it.

I'd say if you are being urged to go on medication then you should at least consider it, even on a trial basis? I know sometimes they can put you on medication with dummy drugs which often helps people with mild depression, just the placebo effect is enough to start to make a change, however people with more severe depression would be given antidepressants. I only know one person that takes these and he's doing a lot better after taking them regularly (Long story extremely short - He had a kid, 6 years later found out not his kid, mother won't let him see her)
    I just can't control or handle the mood swings anymore. I've struggled for 10 years but now it has gotten serious where I can just about go to work and barely look after myself. The mental health team noted I had delayed speech which is a major sign and if anyone saw how I was living I can barely look after myself anymore.

I guess my problem is I still think I can cope or overcome without medication. I think I need to contact GP and at least try like you say.

Tokens
    Habbo
    :Cerys

Latest Awards:

I know lots of people who have been on/are on antidepressants. I myself tried them for mild depression and personally couldn't see a difference but maybe I just wasn't bad enough cos everyone praises them so much! It's worth a try.

The way I see it is your depression may be preventing you from knowing/fixing what is causing it in the first place. Once you get on top of the initial emotions and 'stick the plaster on', you're in a much more ideal place to tackle these issues and make changes to your life and surroundings. You may not even realise now what these root problems are but depression fogs your view.
    I'd also recommend something alongside the medication, like someone to talk to. Even if you're not comfortable with opening up on your deepest darkest secrets with them they can help formulate a plan that works for you to pull you out of the spiral.

*note, if you do try antidepressants the initial side effects can be quite off-putting and make you wanna give up, if you even get any. (I had a dry mouth and restless legs which were irritating to say the least!) Keep persevering with them, it should pass after a week or two. Better you go in prepared rather than it possibly take you by surprise!

Tokens
    Habbo
    JennyJukes

Latest Awards:

I've had medication in the past that didn't help but the one I'm on now is great. It helps me fall asleep straight away and put me into a deep sleep. A decent sleep with REM is good for your mental health. It also stimulated an appetite in me, when I was depressed I wasn't eating very much, so it was helping me meet all my physical needs and get me into a good enough place to then start the real work of changing my thoughts. If you're in a place where you're not coping, medication is great at stabilizing you so you're in a better position to deal with your thoughts IMO and with COVID, trying to get a therapist is difficult (and I personally don't like doing it over the phone) so medication is a good starting point for when you can get one. My antidepressant also helps my OCD and anxiety and really helps me function better, it's definitely worth taking one tablet a day at night time for me.
    Last edited by buttons; 17-01-2021 at 12:03 PM.

pigged 25/08/2019

Country
    England
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Ruth-On-Toast

Latest Awards:

Its not necessarily putting a plaster on a wound but just a way you can feel better while you work out why you're feeling a certain way or work out how to cope with your thoughts and feelings.

Don't be put off if the first meds don't help, it can take a lot of time to work out what kind of medication and dose works best for you.

Country
    United States of America
    Tokens
    Habbo
    __tbl

Latest Awards:

I think it's definitely worth trying. You may try them and absolutely hate them, but at least you've tried.
    Like everyone has said above, definitely stick with it for as long as the doctor recommends so you can see the full effects and if it works for you. Also, it may take some trial and error to find what exactly works for you, so try and be patient!
    Good luck and I hope no matter what you do/choose, things get better!

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

thanks for the replies guys.

was so so so so angry this week, another part of it. only lifted this weekend, just now is first time i've cleaned my apartment since early october and as silly as it sounds its actually a major achievement for me. sorted some banking stuff out this weekend too. hopefully gonna ring GP in week and make some more progress.

Country
    United States of America
    Tokens
    Habbo
    __tbl

Latest Awards:

Wondering how everything's going and if you've had some free time to do some more of the stuff you enjoy!
    Hope all is well and getting better (even if very slowly).

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by tbl View Post
    Wondering how everything's going and if you've had some free time to do some more of the stuff you enjoy!
    Hope all is well and getting better (even if very slowly).
    actually really good

seemed to have turned a corner and more in control of my life and dont dread getting up now!!

as tacky as it seems its like being reborn in some ways

Love tbl, Courtneyy Loved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast