https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-period.html

Australia to be offered a comprehensive trade deal with Britain

The proposal, if agreed, means cheaper food and goods between Britain and Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Britain will offer Australia a zero tariff, zero quota trade deal following a 15-year transition.

Trade Secretary Liz Truss has been given the go-ahead to bring about the post-Brexit deal in spite of a significant backlash from the UK agriculture industry.

Australia has been negotiating for a five-year period of cutting import and export taxes, but the idea has stoked fear that British farmers would be undercut by the introduction of cheaper beef and lamb from overseas.

Despite this, a 15-year deal has now been agreed by the Cabinet committee in charge of the negotiations, The Sun reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A fierce row had broken out between free trade advocates, such as Liz Truss, and protectionists within the Government, such as Michael Gove and George Eustice.

Boris Johnson came down on the side of free trade, and ministerial sources are understood to be confident an agreement with Australia is now within reach.

The details of the exact transition length will still need to be negotiated.

Those is favour of a deal claim that food and wine prices in UK supermarkets will go down as barriers to imports are done away with - but the existing tariffs would be 'tapered out slowly' so British farmers could adjust.

Downing Street said Boris Johnson wants to 'maximise' the benefits of trade deals as he intervened in the Cabinet row over a planned agreement with Australia.
This is superb news if this is the case, and I am glad those favouring free trade have won the battle inside the Cabinet over this.

The 15-year phasing out of tariffs seems a bit lengthy, I would have gone for 5 or 7 years but if that's what it takes then so be it.

Kind of cool though, I remember posting on this forum years ago saying how we could phase out tariffs slowly and it's happening.

Thoughts?