HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Thread: Audio Books

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Default Audio Books

So I recently started listening to Audio Books.. In the last 4 days I've listened to a total of 34.4 hours of books. 3 books in total. All 3 Hunger Games lol.

I'm not one for reading as I can never get lost in a book, maybe that's because I never really gave it a chance, or because I hate the voices in my head so much I refuse to read so they can't be heard lol. Who knows, either way I haven't read a book in full since I was a kid reading Biff & Kipper, and I'm somewhat proud of this fact.

Anyway as I'm new to this whole book situation, it amazed me how much the films cut out, but also had me questioning their reasons for cutting out things that didn't need cutting out. I always knew the films are generally a run-down version of the book, as hard to cram books that are filled with such detail into a 2 hour film, but there are things in Hunger Games that they cut that don't make sense to me... Such as the fact that Katniss lost her hearing, but there is no mention of that in the films (that I remember) .. Also the fact that madge was completely written out the film (she's the woman who gives Katniss the mocking jay pin; in the film it's a random woman at the market who gives her it) orrrr the fact that night vision glasses help Katniss throughout the games, but there is no mention of this in the film.

Might listen to a book where I haven't watched the film, maybe then I'll be one of those people who question the film when I get round to watching it, then claim it's shit lol
    Any recommendations... Needs to be a niche film, chances are, I've seen all mainstream films.

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

I had an audiobook of Danny, The Champion of the World by Roald Dahl on cassette tape as a kid. Also had The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, can highly recommend both of these

Don't think I've had any since, prefer to read especially as it's easier to skip back and find bits that I had skimmed or zoned out for if something happens and I'm like "what when was this going on" whereas audio would just be background noise for something else
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJesus View Post
    I had an audiobook of Danny, The Champion of the World by Roald Dahl on cassette tape as a kid. Also had The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, can highly recommend both of these

Don't think I've had any since, prefer to read especially as it's easier to skip back and find bits that I had skimmed or zoned out for if something happens and I'm like "what when was this going on" whereas audio would just be background noise for something else
    Yeah I get like that sometimes too, but there is a skip back button which rewinds it 30seconds, though I've only used it once because a cyclist was pissing me off so I stopped concentrating on the book and more-so on my hatred for the 2 wheeled numpty.

but lol, kinda wanting more adult books rather than kids ones... Pretty sure that Owl book is like 20 pages long, which I can probably finish in a matter of minutes lmao.
    Not heard of that Roald Dahl one, but he often does children's fiction books I believe.

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers

Country
    United States of America
    Tokens
    Habbo
    __tbl

Latest Awards:

I can't listen to audio books because I'm easily distracted.
    I hate when they make books into movies and then leave out little details! I've never read any of the Hunger Games books, but it's nice/fun to know the little details you've mentioned above.
    I don't have any recommendations to share with you, but I'll be back if I do

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

I did read The Hunger Games!!!, in 2014, of course, when Lionsgate and the editorial culture was on their massive heyday in the sense of getting closest to the frontier of motivating the popular side of those little puberty animals to have fun with printed trilogies with dope quotes to be transformed into scintillating Tumblr GIFs and the world IQ almost peaked from 100 to 101 when it's magically consented that gathering friends to watch a now-more democratized Netflix was effectively easier and cheaper and the streaming services crashed the party

I'm a fast reader (and slow understander LOloLOlOL), and the audiobook vocals are, almost by nature, meant to be slow and fluid, so it doesn't work too much for me; same as Jesus, I think that the spoken word, as it's typically used in conversations and more straightforward things of mundane informative content, won't give you too much room to convert what is said into kewl fantasy worlds in the same way that the typographies do. But people are people! Written texts are sexier, too :-)

I don't really like audiobooks. But it's better than to degrade

why doesn't the edith button work
    Last edited by FlyingJesus; 26-10-2021 at 10:27 PM. Reason: What a strange bot

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I've listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks by Stephen Fry but I listened along whilst reading the book at the same time and it's a series I'd already read a hundred times already so none of it was new. I love reading books but don't think I could read a book by listening to an audiobook. My mind would wander and I'd miss half the story lol.

Interesting you felt that way about Hunger Games though, true the movies do leave a lot of stuff out but out of all the book/movie attempts, I'd say Hunger Games is one of the better ones. They add a lot more depth to the series because you see the story from other points of view that you don't see in the books because it's all first person from Katniss' perspective. I don't know if there's an audiobook for it yet but there's a prequel for the Hunger Games about the early years of President Snow and I really enjoyed it.