HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens

Lightbulb Habbox Wiki: 1) Change sidebar item Editing Help, 2) Help new users

@Ekelektra

Suggestion 1:
    • Change the 5th item of the Habbox Wiki Sidebar from "Editing Help" to "Help"

Suggestion 2:
    • In the introduction on the main page add "New users, please read here." with here linking to the Help page.
    ValidUsername - Name officially declared valid by the General Site Manager

(My previous name was HxWikiEditor and caused confusion. I'm not a staff member.)

Ekelektra is offline Content Design Manager
    HabboxLive Senior DJ (Erin)

Tokens
    Habbo
    Ekelektra

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by ValidUsername View Post
    @Ekelektra

Suggestion 1:
    • Change the 5th item of the Habbox Wiki Sidebar from "Editing Help" to "Help"

Suggestion 2:
    • In the introduction on the main page add "New users, please read here." with here linking to the Help page.
    I think the help links are already clear and there's a whole section on the homepage for where to get started already but I did add a link on the construction page.

Check out our fabulous wiki!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekelektra View Post
    .. and there's a whole section on the homepage for where to get started already but I did add a link on the construction page.
    Buried to deep in my opinion. Perhaps I can make the following suggestions.

The template for that section is:
    https://habboxwiki.com/Template:Main/Help

Perhaps you can change the header "Under Construction" into "Want to help?"

And change the word "here" in "Want to help out? Start here " into a link to the Help page.

What do you think?

(My previous name was HxWikiEditor and caused confusion. I'm not a staff member.)

cameron446: is offline HabboxWiki Staff
    HabboxLive Senior DJ (Music)
    Rare Values Staff
    Guest Events Organiser

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    cameron446:

Latest Awards:

Buried to deep in my opinion. Perhaps I can make the following suggestions.

The template for that section is:
    https://habboxwiki.com/Template:Main/Help

Perhaps you can change the header "Under Construction" into "Want to help?"

And change the word "here" in "Want to help out? Start here " into a link to the Help page.

What do you think?
    I feel that changing "Under Construction" into "Want to help?" is not idle as the template states the pages which are under construction and would confuse people, we already have a whole page explaining how to help out https://habboxwiki.com/Habbox_Wiki:Help

I also feel adding a link on the construction template to the help page is not really necessary because the help page is already pointed out on the wiki sidebar.
    Last edited by cameron446:; 01-03-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron446: View Post
    I feel that changing "Under Construction" into "Want to help?" is not idle as the template states the pages which are under construction and would confuse people, ...
    The template is called "Help" and it says:
    Want to help out? Start here -
    these pages need some work!
    How can this be confusing? It's clear what the list of pages is about and changing the header into "Want to help?" is only more fitting.

Perhaps it would be a bit confusing for you and one or two Habbox staff members who are accustomed to the header name. Those people are experienced people and will easily adjust.

You seem to look at it with the point of view of experienced users like yourself. The very point of my suggestions is to look at it from the point of view of new visitors. Most of which are not experienced wiki editors.

... we already have a whole page explaining how to help out https://habboxwiki.com/Habbox_Wiki:Help

I also feel adding a link on the construction template to the help page is not really necessary because the help page is already pointed out on the wiki sidebar.
    So just because there is a page somewhere and a link somewhere, that means you have done enough for new people to be invited to join?

I think 99% of the visitors will never get to that page. Even if they register there is a good chance they won't come across that page. Most people don't use the sidebar. They simply read the top of the main text and use search. Most people will also not scroll down to where the Help template is displayed. The link in the sidebar, if they see it at all, isn't self-explanatory as to in describing what the page is about.

There are few contributors to the wiki and I think it is important to invite new visitors in the first few lines on the wiki. I still think it's best to put in something like "New visitors please read this." in order to invite them and give them good information on how they can contribute. I think reading that increases the chance for them to get enthusiastic about contributing.

cameron446: is offline HabboxWiki Staff
    HabboxLive Senior DJ (Music)
    Rare Values Staff
    Guest Events Organiser

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    cameron446:

Latest Awards:

Default Habbox Wiki: 1) Change sidebar item Editing Help, 2) Help new users

The template is called "Help" and it says:

How can this be confusing? It's clear what the list of pages is about and changing the header into "Want to help?" is only more fitting.

Perhaps it would be a bit confusing for you and one or two Habbox staff members who are accustomed to the header name. Those people are experienced people and will easily adjust.

You seem to look at it with the point of view of experienced users like yourself. The very point of my suggestions is to look at it from the point of view of new visitors. Most of which are not experienced wiki editors.

So just because there is a page somewhere and a link somewhere, that means you have done enough for new people to be invited to join?

I think 99% of the visitors will never get to that page. Even if they register there is a good chance they won't come across that page. Most people don't use the sidebar. They simply read the top of the main text and use search. Most people will also not scroll down to where the Help template is displayed. The link in the sidebar, if they see it at all, isn't self-explanatory as to in describing what the page is about.

There are few contributors to the wiki and I think it is important to invite new visitors in the first few lines on the wiki. I still think it's best to put in something like "New visitors please read this." in order to invite them and give them good information on how they can contribute. I think reading that increases the chance for them to get enthusiastic about contributing.
    I have just read your comments and opinions, but this is not changing especially not at the time being anyway. The template on the main page is not about how to help its about pages under construction/ need creating, if you click on the bottom of it it takes you to the construction category, which if you look at it Eriin updated it the other day to link to the help page. Myself, Erin and Laura have all had an opinion and all agree that these changes won't be happening at least for the time being, hope this answers your above post.
    Last edited by cameron446:; 02-03-2022 at 12:59 PM.

I have just read your comments and opinions, but this is not changing especially not at the time being anyway. The template on the main page is not about how to help its about pages under construction/ need creating, if you click on the bottom of it it takes you to the construction category, which if you look at it Eriin updated it the other day to link to the help page. Myself, Erin and Laura have all had an opinion and all agree that these changes won't be happening at least for the time being, hope this answers your above post.
    I made suggestions. Perfectly fine if my suggestions aren't followed.