PDA

View Full Version : Complain to Virgin Media?

lolwut
25-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Right, well from Virgin Media my mum is paying for a 10MB cable connection.
It took me 10 seconds (roughly) to load this page, 30 seconds to load MySpace.com and my speed test got:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/362177891.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

13th November:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/355445455.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Can I complain to VM?
We can't move because Virgin supply our TV, Landline and mums mobile as well as our internet connection.

Has anyone else had any problems with VM and what did you do?

Thanks.

Recursion
25-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Definatly complain, usually they supply the full speed when you do.

-Sweex
25-11-2008, 09:10 PM
yeh i would. but ur mum can still switch mobile as Virgin mobile is T-Mobile

scottish
25-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Could be limits set up (doubt the limits 1MB on a 10MB connection though)

But i pay for 10mb and constantly got 9.9mb with 490 upload o.0

N!ck
25-11-2008, 09:21 PM
That amount of a latency would suggest a problem. Are you by any chance unsing a wireless network in which an unauthorized user could have access or could anybody else on your network be using a P2P program?

xxMATTGxx
25-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah get your mum to complain and like say you switch providers or something. They will react for other reports on this forum. Not had a problem with them myself though.

Nick.
25-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Now hang on, hold your horses...

It could be the area you live in, go to friends houses (in the next street or so, in the same village if this is not possible) and run a test, if they get the same, this suggests the area you live in is far away from the exchange.

I would assume you are using a wireless router, so therefor I would try unplugging it all and moving it to the main telephone line of the house (usually near the front door or near the front window, your parents should know), then run the test again on a laptop via wireless and if it's improved, your extension telephone line is faulty.

If this fails, then proceed to complain to Virgin Media, this is all they will ask you to do first anyway... Hope this helps.

N!ck
25-11-2008, 10:01 PM
If he was being traffic shaped by the ISP his ping would be pretty much normal. The ridiculous ping reflects either a problem or someone else using a load of bandwidth.

Nick.
25-11-2008, 10:03 PM
If he was being traffic shaped by the ISP his ping would be pretty much normal. The ridiculous ping reflects either a problem or someone else using a load of bandwidth.
I see, well in that case try my other advice. (To the OP)

scottish
25-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Now hang on, hold your horses...

It could be the area you live in, go to friends houses (in the next street or so, in the same village if this is not possible) and run a test, if they get the same, this suggests the area you live in is far away from the exchange.

I would assume you are using a wireless router, so therefor I would try unplugging it all and moving it to the main telephone line of the house (usually near the front door or near the front window, your parents should know), then run the test again on a laptop via wireless and if it's improved, your extension telephone line is faulty.

If this fails, then proceed to complain to Virgin Media, this is all they will ask you to do first anyway... Hope this helps.

Virgin media = cable = not in telephone? o.0

Nick.
25-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Virgin media = cable = not in telephone? o.0
Virgin Media supply a telephone line package.

Lycan
25-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Suprised that sites are taking that long to load even with that level of download ... upload s shocking though

N!ck
25-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Suprised that sites are taking that long to load even with that level of download ... upload s shocking though

Because every new connection is taking 1-2 seconds before it starts transferring data.

MasterFM
26-11-2008, 12:07 AM
You wouldnt normally have a leg to stand on, becuase you pay for "Up To X mb" rather than "guarenteed X mb"

Agnostic Bear
26-11-2008, 06:01 AM
That amount of a latency would suggest a problem. Are you by any chance unsing a wireless network in which an unauthorized user could have access or could anybody else on your network be using a P2P program?

That level of ping and download on a 10mbit connection sounds more like a line problem, p2p never shunts my ping up that high, only to about ~400ms.

Jamesy
26-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah get your mum to complain and like say you switch providers or something. They will react for other reports on this forum. Not had a problem with them myself though.

We tried that and they said "ok" and cut us off :@. Not always a guaranteed way of fixing it.

newWORLDorder
26-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I am guessing its either being shaped by Virgin or its your connection to the servers.

Our server is literally infront of our gate infront of our house, so the least I get is 8mb, Max is usually around 9.5/10mb.

Or it could be your computer is just playing up towards the connection, idk.

Calon
26-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I think www.samknows.com provides statuses of the exchange area, check if it's something with your exchange, if your friends have this too, if not.. complain to VM, it's likely to be a technical issue and not some sort of limit, if it is some sort of limit then you can't blame them as you've broken the fair use policy that you agreed too.

lolwut
26-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Err. Okay, I'll answer as many questions as I can:

N!ck:
I do use WiFi, but it's my families personal network and is WPA2 encrypted, as a matter of fact I changed the code 2 hours ago.
On my street are about 2 nerds who've never seen the light of day. I suppose it's possible they could be hacking my network?
Also, I do have Vuze going pretty much all the time, my connection has only been slow half the time.

Nick.: I live round abouts Camden, surely I should have a good connection and low latency?

Sc0tteh: Yeah, I have the cable thing off VM.

Lycan: I've always had a slow upload, never bothered me, it seems to work fine most of the time.

newWORLDorder: The exchange is somewhere a few miles away, no idea where but is quite close.

Any Xbox 360 users: My brothers Xbox 360 is on pretty much the same times as my Mac is (connected via wired connection), could that have anything to do with bandwidth usage?

I'll ask my mum to complain to the Customer Services, until then I guess there's nothing I can do. :)

:) Cheers.

Andys
27-11-2008, 07:36 PM
this happens with me on vm.
i pay for the highest speed package w/e it is (20mb i think) get about 8mb max most of the time.

even tried a new router and the vm guys came and said it was working fine... even though it's slow as **** :/

Nick.
27-11-2008, 07:39 PM
this happens with me on vm.
i pay for the highest speed package w/e it is (20mb i think) get about 8mb max most of the time.

even tried a new router and the vm guys came and said it was working fine... even though it's slow as **** :/
How can you complain about 8MB? Mine is up-to 8MB and we get 2MB, and it's fast enough to not moan about it, I'd love 8MB.

Blob
28-11-2008, 02:33 PM
How can you complain about 8MB? Mine is up-to 8MB and we get 2MB, and it's fast enough to not moan about it, I'd love 8MB.

As he has payed for £20?

kurtis5561
28-11-2008, 02:36 PM
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Looks like your being traffic managed, stop with the downloading lol

Nick.
28-11-2008, 03:08 PM
As he has payed for £20?
No, you don't pay for 20MB, you pay for upto 20MB.

Blob
28-11-2008, 03:35 PM
No, you don't pay for 20MB, you pay for upto 20MB.

So if you payed for 20 MB would you want 20MB or 8MB?

kurtis5561
28-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Virgin media blatenly traffic shape, his traffic has been effected, whats the issue, You pay for upto 20meg its not guarrenteed it would be stupid of them to.

Nick.
28-11-2008, 06:50 PM
You don't pay for 20MB, you pay for upto that speed, the fastest speed they can get you in the area.

Decode
28-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Virgin media blatenly traffic shape, his traffic has been effected, whats the issue, You pay for upto 20meg its not guarrenteed it would be stupid of them to.
The ping time indicates a problem with the line rather than traffic shaping.

Rapidshare
28-11-2008, 07:46 PM

NO NO

YOU DONT PAY FOR 20 mb

YOU PAY "UPP TOO" 20MB

SO THEY CAN GIVE YOU 1 MB FOR ALL THEY CARE

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!