PDA

View Full Version : Netgear wireless PCI adapter

Hitman
29-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, I got a new computer for Christmas. It's great, apart from there's no wireless adapter. I'm thinking about buying this one:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/SuperGWirelessAdapters/WG311T.aspx

As far as I can tell (from looking online), to install it you turn the PCs power off, slide the side part of the case off, unscrew one of the PCI slot things and just push that in, then do it all up again. Is that about right?

Also, it says "delivers wireless access to anywhere in your home and boosts your network up to twice the speed". Twice the speed? Are they possibly talking about the max. Mbps it can achieve, not the actual speed of your web? If not I might get the normal Wireless-G, depends what's in the stores when I go down.

Thanks!

Technologic
29-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Be sure to earth yourself, don't touch the gold contacts, switch power off at the wall and you'll be fine

Recursion
29-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Yup, installation is that simple :)

When it means 2x the speed it means for your local network only, not internet :P

I never earth my self when im messing with my computer, I just make sure I touch the side of the case a lot.

Hitman
29-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Be sure to earth yourself, don't touch the gold contacts, switch power off at the wall and you'll be fine
Okey dokey, thanks!

Yup, installation is that simple :)

When it means 2x the speed it means for your local network only, not internet :P

I never earth my self when im messing with my computer, I just make sure I touch the side of the case a lot.
Ah right, thanks.

I read that it's a good idea to touch something metal to remove static discharge, aka earthing. I'll make sure I do, I don't want to mess up my comp. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!