View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with Utility Warehouse broadband?

Black_Apalachi
15-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi, for a while now I've been having trouble with the internet at our house. When using my laptop via a wireless connection, at times I can barely spend half an hour online without being disconnected. Generally, it re-establishes a connection by itself after a few minuites. Doesn't sound too bad I know, but after a while it's extremely frustrating and at the best of times, it only has 3 bars of signal out of 5. Where I am in the house also doesn't affect it much. My brother's laptop can't even get online - even though it says it's connected and everything, it just can't display a webpage. As for my mum's PC, her's is directly wired to the router so she never experiences any difficulties.

The only thing I can put it down to is our ISP which according to my mum (although I had never heard of it), is 'Utility Warehouse'. When I tell her how poor I find it to be, she tells me it's supposed to be the best (in what way exactly I'm not sure, e.g. value/quality etc.) according to 'Which?' and 'The Times' or something lol. That being so, I don't understand what is actually causing the problem. She insists it's due to our area, but I can always pick up around half a dozen signals from our local area and they are generally all pretty strong - often stronger than our own even.

So I thought it might be a good idea to see if anyone on here is familiar with this ISP and see what their experieices with it have been. Also, I was wondering what ISPs other people find to be the best. Just as a side note, when setting up the internet at my student house, I personally found O2 to be the best value and it turned out to be fairly reliable.

Thanks in advance :).

Flisker
15-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm with o2 at home and their broadband is very good and the call centre is in the UK.

Xarea
15-07-2009, 08:59 PM
O2 is probably your best bet - it has won numerous awards for it's speed, customer service and all-round service.

What you're describing sounds like a problem with your router and not your ISP. If a wired connection is fine, therfore it's an issue with the router - losing signal etc. is not the fault of the ISP.

I would invest in a new, more powerful router.

Black_Apalachi
15-07-2009, 09:07 PM
O2 is probably your best bet - it has won numerous awards for it's speed, customer service and all-round service.

What you're describing sounds like a problem with your router and not your ISP. If a wired connection is fine, therfore it's an issue with the router - losing signal etc. is not the fault of the ISP.

I would invest in a new, more powerful router.

Right, thanks both of you for the advice +rep :).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!