PDA

View Full Version : What financial state is you & your family in?

Mint
28-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Sorry if it may sound personal so only post if you feel comfortable doing so. I'd like you to be honest about what financial state you and your family is in.

By financial state I mean:

Are you struggling?
Did you start struggling as soon as the recession came?
Do you think you are average? (have an average house and car, never have to starve or be cold, get the odd games console/games etc).
Would you class yourself as rich? If so, why?
Do you live in a house owned by the council?
Are you on benefits?
And anything else you can think of regarding your financial state.

Please be honest about this, you won't gain anything from lying about huge amounts of money, just like you won't lose anything from telling the truth.

Jamesy
28-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Are you struggling?
Nope

Nope, the inheritance from my grandfather's death came in at around the same time and we spent it on a new garden, car, kitchen and a computer for me.

Do you think you are average? (have an average house and car, never have to starve or be cold, get the odd games console/games etc).
I would say average yes.

I wouldn't.

Nope.

Are you on benefits?
Well there's child benefits but everyone gets that afaik.

I really really want L4D2 but I don't want to be further below the £500 in my bank account.

Martin
28-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Are you struggling?
Sort of.

No, have sort of been struggling with some things for a while.

Sort of. My car cost £400 and is very old and dented etc- but does it's job of getting me 12 miles to work. Sometimes go without gas/heating for a while if money is tight, but We don't feel the cold anyway, and just use blanket's etc. My best games console atm is a playstation 2, although if I do enough overtime I hope to be able to buy myself an xbox360 someday.

Nope.

Yesh.

Are you on benefits?
I'm not, I work for every penny I earn, but my parents are. :@

Currently doing as much overtime at work, as I physically can handle, and hope to be able to buy everyone something nice for christmas.

Black_Apalachi
28-11-2009, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't say I've experienced any difference personally. I would say my family is poorer than most of my friends' families, we don't live in a council house but I think it's like one, in a rough sort of area.

It's hard for me to make a judgement though because I was starting uni when this all hyped up so I had my student finance so my mum obviously hasn't had to spend as much on me, but also my dad passed away 18 months ago so that would cause a financial disadvantage. She got my brother a job where she works though and he makes loads from that. If it wasn't for my student finance, we probably wouldn't have a PS3 or 360 because I mostly paid for them. I also paid for my own car and I pay the running costs of it (or did until I crashed it :/).

Overall I'd say we're OK, no better or worse than before.

Nixt
28-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Do you mind if I ask why it is you want to know?

Mint
28-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Do you mind if I ask why it is you want to know?

Don't mind at all.

I just wanted to create some discussion. Considering the current economic crisis I thought that this might be a popular topic. It's not so much that I want to know (although I do find it very interesting) but more so for people to perhaps talk about the tough times they could be going through. This is a personal question which is why I have apologized and asked people to post only if they feel comfortable doing so.

GoldenMerc
28-11-2009, 03:17 AM
So mint can try bluff his rich's 8-) with his brothers skyline GT that the picture was faked lolol

Misawa
28-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Are you struggling? No.
Did you start struggling as soon as the recession came? No.
Do you think you are average? (have an average house and car, never have to starve or be cold, get the odd games console/games etc). I guess.
Would you class yourself as rich? If so, why? No.
Do you live in a house owned by the council? I share an apartment with friends. The house I grew up in that my parents still live in they own.
Are you on benefits? No.
And anything else you can think of regarding your financial state. I've had the luck to have projected earnings for the next year that would make me "rich", but I'll enjoy that time whenever it comes. I hate people who gloat about money. It's good to be honest. I want to live care free rather than lavishly.

Butterfly
28-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Are you struggling?
Nope

Nope, the inheritance from my grandfather's death came in at around the same time and we spent it on a new garden, car, kitchen and a computer for me.

I would say average yes.

I wouldn't.

Nope.

Are you on benefits?
Well there's child benefits but everyone gets that afaik.

I really really want L4D2 but I don't want to be further below the £500 in my bank account.

You sound a very stuck-up, unrealistic person, I don't think I like you, nor you're attitude.

Are you struggling? Yes

Did you start struggling as soon as the recession came? No I did not
Do you think you are average? (have an average house and car, never have to starve or be cold, get the odd games console/games etc). I don't think anybody gets the odd consoles/games at an ease if their average. And I have an average home, just no central heating, just electric heaters which costs too much so I am freezing.
Would you class yourself as rich? If so, why? No I wouldn't, but mentally I would, because I'm full of richness.
Do you live in a house owned by the council? No, privately owned.
Are you on benefits? Yes I receive Income Support, and don't work. I also receive housing benefits which pays for my rent.
And anything else you can think of regarding your financial state. Nothing.

Ardemax
28-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Are you struggling?
Nop
Well my dad was made redundant for like a week/2 weeks until somebody hired him
Yeah, the only consoles = wii + ps2 :P
Nop, deffo nop.
Nop
Are you on benefits?
Nop
I don't usually buy a lot in they year, I save till xmas!

alexxxxx
28-11-2009, 10:50 AM
You sound a very stuck-up, unrealistic person, I don't think I like you, nor you're attitude.

why would you dislike someone for wanting to save their money and not squandering it on a game that he ultimately will have limited pleasure from? if they fall on bad times later on that £500 would definately come in handy...

me personally, no, i am doing fine.

Are you struggling?
Nope
no.
Do you think you are average? above average
No.
No
Are you on benefits?
no

Eoin
28-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Are you struggling?
a wee bit

no, only this year

yes

no

yes

Are you on benefits?
jobseekers

got paid off from work and am trying so hard not to end up in a different job type.

Caution
28-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Are you struggling?
I suppose, yeah.
No
Average house and that, yeah. Have nice stuff and everything. My Mum doesn't drive though, so that would explain the absence of a carrrr.
No.
No council houses here, but an ex-council house, yeah.
Are you on benefits?
No.

AlexOC
28-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Are you struggling?
No.
No.
Yes, Average house, Two Average cars, Decent TVs and so on.
No.
Owned.
Are you on benefits?
No.

xxMATTGxx
28-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Are you struggling?
Kinda

Nope, due to an accident it all started around then.

Yes.

No.

No.

Are you on benefits?
No.

syko2006
28-11-2009, 03:11 PM

I disagree with this. What Jamesy is doing is quite mature (I think that'd be the right word to choose) because at the current times, it's good to have spare cash stored away incase you need it. Christmas is coming up soon, and £500 can be alot to buy presents with. It's bad luck that you're banned, I really would of liked to win continue this discussion with you. :rolleyes:

Swearwolf
28-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Are you struggling? Yeah
Did you start struggling as soon as the recession came? no
Do you think you are average? (have an average house and car, never have to starve or be cold, get the odd games console/games etc). Sometimes
Would you class yourself as rich? If so, why? No
Do you live in a house owned by the council? No
Are you on benefits? No
And anything else you can think of regarding your financial state. Struggle to pay rent between me and my mum each month thats about it

buttons
28-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Are you struggling?
no

nah, mum got offered a better paid job around then

we have a nice house, average car & we don't starve, probably cause we don't buy unnecessary things just things we need unless it's christmas/birthdays so yeah, average..

no, there's 3 of us in the house + 2 of them work, + we get money from my dad but we're still not rich..

no, mum and dad bought it when they lived together

Are you on benefits?
my mum gets benefits, doesn't matter which :)

CJW93
28-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Are you struggling?
Nope

might of been, I don;t speak to my parents about that sort of thing, I didn't notice anything different

Pretty average

Nope

Nope.

Are you on benefits?

Its alright

Blinger1
29-11-2009, 02:51 AM
This is about me personally (not my family):

Are you struggling?
No, i tend to have more money in the bank then my dad so he borrows off me sometimes (all the bills come during the same week so thats why ;))
Nope, i didn't feel it :S
Umm, i guess i am average, i haven't got a bad or a "good" car (thats the only big asset i own wholly).
I guess so, i mean i buy what i want when i want. I am not a millionaire but i defiantly have enough cash in my banks.
What are these? We own our own property and land.
Are you on benefits?
I get a healthcare card which is a concession card (this is because i am an apprentice). So i get discounts at some shops.
"I'm living the high life"

Metric1
29-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Are you struggling?
No
No
I would class myself as above average.
I would say we are very well off. My family has everything it needs. I am the only one left at home so it's just me and my mom. We don't do without anything and we live in a large house in a upper-class area. My mom also buys a new car every year, and she usually gets an SUV for the winter.
No
Are you on benefits?
Not currently, I could apply for them but I feel bad.
I am thankful that my mom made her money before the recession. She started her career during the high point in the real estate market.

N!ck
29-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Are you struggling?

Not really.

No difference.

A fair bit below average, but we're pretty smart with money so it seems better than we are.

No way.

Nope.

Are you on benefits?

No. (just literally a few pounds over most of the boundaries for benefit type of things - we'd be better off if my parent's earned slightly less)

My mum is probably going to lose her job within the next few weeks due to where she works laying people off.

Mint
30-11-2009, 12:48 AM
So mint can try bluff his rich's 8-) with his brothers skyline GT that the picture was faked lolol

Not the right place or time really, if you had any problems you could always of just PM'd me and we could end this privately. I enjoy proving people wrong, especially the jealous type.

Alkaz
30-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Mint could I ask you to answer the questions you've put to the people of the forum?

Seatherny
30-11-2009, 03:47 AM
What exactly do people class as poor, average and rich?
How much income would you class as poor or being average or rich? I think asking people if they are average or not is a common question but no one states how much income they are referring to.

Jin
30-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Are you struggling?
Not really.

Nope.

I think I live a little bit in luxury at the moment. I don't live on supermarket brand foods (though I do buy for the silly little things) Up until 1 month ago I had 5 vehicles in my driveway for a household that only had 2 people. Sold a few of these now just to free up some space, save money (on mot and tax etc) and also have some extra cash to spend.

Not rich but certainly better of than others. Some smart investments in the past have paid off plus myself and my gf have good jobs (my employment only being on a sort of seasonal/as-needed basis) and I also benefit from student loans.

No

Are you on benefits?
I don't count student loans as benefits, its a damn right! Other then that I don't.

Cost of petrol isn't helping anyone at the moment, it costs me about £70 for my weekly commute. Then 40 more in parking charges.

Mint
30-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Mint could I ask you to answer the questions you've put to the people of the forum?

Yeh sure.

Are you struggling?
No.
No.
In terms of what I am allowed to get, I would say average. It's not like I could randomly ask my parents for something worth a couple of hundred pounds and expect to get it. It would have to be for a reason such as Christmas or my Birthday. House and car isn't really important because thats all my parents.
Compared to most of the people I know, Probably. They don't really know though and I prefer to keep things like that.
Nope.
Are you on benefits?
Nope.
My parents have been lucky enough to own and run Businesses, it has only been in the last 10 years where we have started to do well. Several years before good things started to happen just before I was born, money was very tight.

brandon
30-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Are you struggling?
No

No

Average or above

No

No

Are you on benefits?
No

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!