PDA

View Full Version : Dell are the biggest ******s around

Seatherny
21-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I have been dell with 9 years now and I use a business account. Bought many laptops and PCs with them. Never had a problem till ...

I bought a laptop from them in July 2009. Instantly there was problem with wireless. Over time, it was wireless problems (even after they tried fixing it), network problem in general, touchpad was ****** up, and then in November 2009, it wouldnt charge "/

So they collected it from me 2 weeks ago and returned it today. Guess what. Came back FULLY scratched. The box was open :S Not even sealed and it had no protection.

They are seriously pissing me off now. I have rang them about 17 times since July 2009.

They said they will send someone to me instead to replace the cover etc.

One more problem before July 2010, and I am getting a full refund.

Till July I had always recommended Dell to people, not anymore.

kk.
21-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Ouch. That's the problm with dell, you always have to go to them if you have a problem. Or most of the time at least. Threaten to close your business account and they'll soon shape up lol

Seatherny
21-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Ouch. That's the problm with dell, you always have to go to them if you have a problem. Or most of the time at least. Threaten to close your business account and they'll soon shape up lol

I was screaming at them on the phone for 2 hours demanding a full refund when it stopped charging. They said they will take it in and fix it all and if I had any more problems after, I would get a full refund. I agreed.

Problem with dell is, you can threaten to close your account, but the dude on the other side of the phone doesnt give a crap.

They wanted me to resend my laptop to them today. I just said thats not going to happen "/ So they agreed to send the engineer to me.

Stryderman
21-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Sounds alot like phone networks when your phone breaks.

Sucks to have to chase about and ring up when it should be working properly.

Recursion
21-01-2010, 05:04 PM
You know you should have contacted them as soon as you had any problems, i.e. with that WLAN card, and demanded a replacement

We have a business account with them and have done for years, every computer, mouse, keyboard and monitor we use in school is made by Dell and they have been amazing for us, will just come out next day with parts and fix it there and then, they'll even ship us out free laptop keyboards when someone breaks/spills crap on them. This spreads to home too, all our monitors are made by Dell.

May be wrong but don't business account holders get priority support... :S

Meree.
21-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow, that's bad. I've had to send my laptop away a few times, always comes back with crumbs on it. I mean I know they gotta eat aswell as work.. but seriously. Take pride for other people's belongings.

Markeh
21-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow, that's bad. I've had to send my laptop away a few times, always comes back with crumbs on it. I mean I know they gotta eat aswell as work.. but seriously. Take pride for other people's belongings.

Quite the opposite with me. It usually is sent with loads of crud in the keyboard and around the touchpad, and a fingerprint-laden screen, and comes back nice and clean. xD

Chippiewill
21-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Dell is ****. FACT.

When I bought a dell laptop it lasted 4 great months, then the battery wouldn't charge. I got a replacement Battery and Adapter and 2 months later it wouldn't charge again. 2 Months later same thing except they sent an engineer to repair my screen. 2 Days later all my graphics freeze up (Reconditioned ftw). 2 Months later another engineer finally comes out and fixes it and when I started it up later that day it was STILL broken. Got it fixed one more time then my optical drive broke for whatever happened, fixed that and then my HDD failed and I bailed and got a HP.

The Professor
21-01-2010, 07:25 PM
No joke, our charger stopped working and we phoned them up and asked for a new one and the indian man on the phone said "what is a charger?" Fell about laughing :D

Recursion
21-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Sometimes I do have to wonder what people do to their machines.. lol :P

Seatherny
23-01-2010, 01:30 AM
You know you should have contacted them as soon as you had any problems, i.e. with that WLAN card, and demanded a replacement

We have a business account with them and have done for years, every computer, mouse, keyboard and monitor we use in school is made by Dell and they have been amazing for us, will just come out next day with parts and fix it there and then, they'll even ship us out free laptop keyboards when someone breaks/spills crap on them. This spreads to home too, all our monitors are made by Dell.

May be wrong but don't business account holders get priority support... :S

Schools pay more to have the guy come around and fix it.

Anyway, after me shouting some more, they are going to replace the following:

The whole cover
The whole screen which I accidentally scratched but said they did it

They also agreed to come on Monday to do it :)

So overall, this is what will be new:

Motherboad
Palmrest / touchpad
Cover
Screen
Wireless

Dan!
23-01-2010, 01:36 AM

Anyway, after me shouting some more, they are going to replace the following:

The whole cover
The whole screen which I accidentally scratched but said they did it

They also agreed to come on Monday to do it :)

So overall, this is what will be new:

Motherboad
Palmrest / touchpad
Cover
Screen
Wireless

Not bad going their Saurav!

I've had no real problem with Dell

Metric1
23-01-2010, 03:08 AM
I have a Dell business account too and I have no problems with getting Dell to come to my location and fix my PC.

Recursion
23-01-2010, 09:53 AM

We don't pay anymore actually, infact just recently an internal power supply failed on a laptop and Dell took it away and fixed it straightaway, no questions asked :P

Seatherny
23-01-2010, 12:16 PM
We don't pay anymore actually, infact just recently an internal power supply failed on a laptop and Dell took it away and fixed it straightaway, no questions asked :P

They have 2 plans:

Basic is where they come and collect it and fix it

If you pay more, they will send an engineer to you to fix it.

CrazyColaist
23-01-2010, 02:27 PM
dell are crap anyway

acer ftw.

Recursion
23-01-2010, 02:48 PM
dell are crap anyway

acer ftw.

Your opinion.

Is that a joke? :|

Flisker
23-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Your opinion.

Is that a joke? :|

I find Dell are alright as well as Acer.

cocaine
23-01-2010, 03:52 PM
i had a dell and the harddrive just straight up broke one day. so i got an acer.

Markeh
23-01-2010, 06:47 PM
i had a dell and the harddrive just straight up broke one day. so i got an acer.

I implore all of you to NEVER buy an Acer for as long as you all shall live. You'd have to pay me to have one.

Acer are dreadful rotboxes. Mine lasted about 2 and a half years. Had to have Windows reinstalled, new screen, webcam, 2 NEW LIDS, touchpad button, power lead, motherboard, and keyboard. And it weighed a ton, had rubbish features, and was possibly the worst PC I ever owned. Styled very unimaginatively, too.

Toshiba aren't bad, but I killed the hard drive in one after I fell over.

HP have always been good to me, on the other hand. Only thing I don't like about my dv6 is that there's no hard-wired switch to turn the Wi-Fi off unless the machine's booted up.

cocaine
23-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I implore all of you to NEVER buy an Acer for as long as you all shall live.

hi my dad has a 6 year old acer that still runs as perfect as ever

Markeh
23-01-2010, 07:10 PM
hi my dad has a 6 year old acer that still runs as perfect as ever

The quality on OLD acers wasn't THAT bad, but from about 05 the problems got worse, and worse and worse.

Out of interest how many parts have been replaced on your fathers Acer?
And has it been used everyday? If it hasn't had anything replaced I'll be amazed.

Recursion
23-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I implore all of you to NEVER buy an Acer for as long as you all shall live. You'd have to pay me to have one.

Acer are dreadful rotboxes. Mine lasted about 2 and a half years. Had to have Windows reinstalled, new screen, webcam, 2 NEW LIDS, touchpad button, power lead, motherboard, and keyboard. And it weighed a ton, had rubbish features, and was possibly the worst PC I ever owned. Styled very unimaginatively, too.

Toshiba aren't bad, but I killed the hard drive in one after I fell over.

HP have always been good to me, on the other hand. Only thing I don't like about my dv6 is that there's no hard-wired switch to turn the Wi-Fi off unless the machine's booted up.

Agreed.

cocaine
23-01-2010, 10:54 PM
The quality on OLD acers wasn't THAT bad, but from about 05 the problems got worse, and worse and worse.

Out of interest how many parts have been replaced on your fathers Acer?
And has it been used everyday? If it hasn't had anything replaced I'll be amazed.

hmm pick a year just after my dad got the laptop then label them as crap.. how convinient. and about once every two days, and no.

Markeh
23-01-2010, 11:16 PM
hmm pick a year just after my dad got the laptop then label them as crap.. how convinient. and about once every two days, and no.

No, it wasn't convenient, I actually never had problems with Acer till 05. The Aspire I had in about 2003 was a brilliant little machine. Lightweight, quite fast and responsive for its time. I still ended up

Thinking all Acer's were as reliable, I replaced it with a Travelmate in 2005, and it was powerful, but heavy, the HDD was noisy, and the USB ports died about a year after I bought it. The thing eventually died after about 18 months (the HDD failed).

Thinking it was a fluke, I bought my second Aspire in 2007. Which had all the problems I mentioned earlier. I do use my machine everyday and quite often, especially for gaming and photos, but still, it should last longer than that. The lid kept cracking around the hinges, this was replaced about a year ago now, and it cracked again in July. And the fan died on the motherboard. And a few of the keys came of the keyboard. And the graphics drivers refused to work when I had to reinstall Windows (that was my fault, virus off Skype D:)

I also disliked the Nvidia graphics that I had on my second Aspire (that could be down to the fact I might be a bit of an ATI fanboy :D), and it was a 17 inch model, so not exactly portable.

Obviously, some people have had GOOD experiences with Acer, its just I'm not one of them.

The Professor
24-01-2010, 01:42 PM
If some people have had good experiences, why are you proclaiming no-one should ever buy an acer? Anyway if they were that bad they wouldn't be one of the top laptop sellers would they? I don't remember exactly which position they're in but I believe its top 3 with dell and apple.

Never owned an acer btw just annoys me when people make massive generalisations based on a bad experience.

Randomme
24-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I have rang dell about 3 times each month and now this computer is 2 years old (wasting money), Dad, 2 Sisters STILL wont let me get a laptop for the whole house? Weird....

Markeh
24-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I have rang dell about 3 times each month and now this computer is 2 years old (wasting money), Dad, 2 Sisters STILL wont let me get a laptop for the whole house? Weird....

This is why I'm not so keen on Dell - the customer service. I'm lucky with customer service, as we only have to deal with PC World cos my parents (force me to) have the cover plan. But we did have to ring HP once. Couldn't understand a word they said, but they sorted out the problem and sent us the recovery disks I wanted.

Colin-Roberts
24-01-2010, 07:10 PM
it's how you treat your pc i guess. We've had dells, acer laptops, hp laptops.. never had an issue with them..

Dan!
27-01-2010, 06:28 AM
it's how you treat your pc i guess. We've had dells, acer laptops, hp laptops.. never had an issue with them..

i have to agree ive never had any problems with any laptops ive had :S

Markeh
27-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I do realise I am quite... rough with PCs (i've just broke a hard disk in a school Toshiba). but I barely used that Travelmate (it weighed too much. ordered it off the internet, didn't realise it weighed a ton when I bought it)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!