PDA

View Full Version : vB Why?

Zuth
05-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Hey there,

Why does vBulletin break so easily, I go on many vB forums and most of them, most of the time always have database errors! Why? Also I'm thinking of buying vB but the database errors are putting me off. Does anyone know why it happened and how to stop it?

Recursion
05-12-2010, 06:31 PM
The database errors aren't usually anything to do with vBulletin, it's generally a server or MySQL issue.

Jamesy
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
The database errors aren't usually anything to do with vBulletin, it's generally a server or MySQL issue.

What Tom has said basically. The amount of queries that forum software has to run - especially on busy sites - can often produce errors if the servers are not up to it or there is an error.

The other way DB errors occur are when custom modifications break.

Recursion
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Also, If you're worried you could use something like MySQLi to speed the process up.

GommeInc
05-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Just get an Invision Power Board. It's basically vBulletin, but 5 years in the future. It runs smoother, has decent modifications, a good admin control panel and so many bog-standard tools. vBulletin seems to always be picked, but I have no idea why :/

Jin
05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I think its largely because vBulletin have a greater share of the market. I have never tried IPB would like to some day as well as xenforo.

Recursion
05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Just get an Invision Power Board. It's basically vBulletin, but 5 years in the future. It runs smoother, has decent modifications, a good admin control panel and so many bog-standard tools. vBulletin seems to always be picked, but I have no idea why :/

True that, IPB is leagues ahead of vB.

HotelUser
06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
MyBB and PhpBB are excellent free alternatives. I have seen some excellent and reliable MyBB forums.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!