PDA

View Full Version : Viewable areas for non-members

FlyingJesus
06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Apparently Spam's been made invisible if you're not logged in now, might I ask what other forums (if any) have similar restrictions and why? It doesn't bother me personally as obviously I am a member, but it looks like we're going the way of "register to view" if more are going to be hidden, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of intelligent members and staff have advocated against such a thing happening for the past few years, so just wanted to check that we're not suddenly going against common sense and driving traffic away

Chippiewill
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I believe it is just spam so that people cannot just log out to view it if cautioned.

Hecktix
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Jin contacted Forum Management yesterday asking for every forum bar staff forums, complaints, spam and become a Habbox Donator be visible to unregistered users. This was something to do with search engines indexing the content, so several other forums which weren't viewable before are now viewable and the spam forum and become habbox donator forum have been hidden.

This isn't a ploy to get people to sign up.

FlyingJesus
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Fair enough, I'd have thought having search engines index spam would give us a load more traffic and all that but I'm not an expert on such things so guessing Jin knows what he's on about :P although does that mean papoy is now viewable by guests? I thought that was deemed a paedophile security issue or something

buttons
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
i logged out and post a picture is visible for non-members. are you keeping it like that? cause it was hidden for a rason...

Hecktix
06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
PAPOY was hidden for a reason yes but I don't think it was hidden with very good justification, there's nothing stopping a paedophile signing up to this forum whether they are aware of us having a picture thread or not.

wixard
06-01-2011, 05:12 PM
jin obviously just has a vendetta against graham and wants him to end his life
which he will if he can't view spam

Samantha
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
PAPOY was hidden for a reason yes but I don't think it was hidden with very good justification, there's nothing stopping a paedophile signing up to this forum whether they are aware of us having a picture thread or not.

So it's not hidden now? Thank you, it was annoying if I ever went on a device other than my laptop if I wanted to see a Chibi post.

Jin
06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Reason why spam was hidden is that search engines have the tendency to skip over things which hit whatever thresholds they set for things marked as "spam". It really is entirely about SEO though I was unfamiliar that PAPOY was in the photography forum of graphics ideally that should be hidden, we will have to see what we do about that it might mean moving it into spam.

dogboy123
06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
papoy just gets spammed anyway tbh

Sharon
06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Reason why spam was hidden is that search engines have the tendency to skip over things which hit whatever thresholds they set for things marked as "spam". It really is entirely about SEO though I was unfamiliar that PAPOY was in the photography forum of graphics ideally that should be hidden, we will have to see what we do about that it might mean moving it into spam.

Then it'll just die down as for some younger members it's not ideal for them to want to post there?

Catzsy
06-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Then it'll just die down as for some younger members it's not ideal for them to want to post there?

That is true - lots more have posted in that thread since it was moved from Spam.

Stephen
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I think it's funny that banned and cautioned members can't see spam now hahaahahha Might stop them creating 100 accounts just because they see a thread they are dying to post in

Sarah
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
papoy just gets spammed anyway tbh

I agree with this, the amount of off topic posting that goes on it crazy. It should be moved to spam in my personal opinion.

I think it's funny that banned and cautioned members can't see spam now hahaahahha Might stop them creating 100 accounts just because they see a thread they are dying to post in

Surely if a member is cautioned or banned, the fact they cant see it is going to make them want to register a new account?

Nemo
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I agree with this, the amount of off topic posting that goes on it crazy. It should be moved to spam in my personal opinion.

Surely if a member is cautioned or banned, the fact they cant see it is going to make them want to register a new account?
yeah, and then they can immediately post with their premade account :P Makes no difference to that aspect atleast

Stephen
06-01-2011, 09:25 PM

yeah but now spam is hidden, why would they make a new account just to see the spam forum and then get banned a few minutes later?

I want to read spam
*makes new email and account*
banned

next day

I want to read spam
banned

who is sad enough to do that everyday

Nemo
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM
yeah but now spam is hidden, why would they make a new account just to see the spam forum and then get banned a few minutes later?

I want to read spam
banned

next day

I want to read spam
banned

who is sad enough to do that everydaythey can view and pretend to be someone else, not hard if they dont have a static IP + dont post

Stephen
06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't have a static and I got banned all the time I made an account once when I was banned. Didn't even post. A mod just looked at my profile and BOOM

mynameiswootzeh
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
basically jin says something and they have to make excuses for reverting things theyve done in the past.

Jin
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
k we won't move PAPOY to spam then tbf people should understand the risks of posting their picture on a public forum.

basically jin says something and they have to make excuses for reverting things theyve done in the past.
These grapes they are so sour. >.<

Sarah
07-01-2011, 12:52 AM

I want to read spam
banned

next day

I want to read spam
banned

I can think of a few people....

The Don
07-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Sorry, but why wont younger people post in spam?

Moh
07-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't have a static and I got banned all the time I made an account once when I was banned. Didn't even post. A mod just looked at my profile and BOOM
It'll be because your browser keeps the cookies, which contain your usernames, last visit etc.. so I presume they have a vBulletin addon that creates a new thread and notifies the moderators that you have signed up again. With a new IP and cleared cookies, it would be more difficult for them to find out who you are.

Jin
07-01-2011, 01:25 AM
It'll be because your browser keeps the cookies, which contain your usernames, last visit etc.. so I presume they have a vBulletin addon that creates a new thread and notifies the moderators that you have signed up again. With a new IP and cleared cookies, it would be more difficult for them to find out who you are.

That would be a nice add-on I will need to investigate into that, but I am certain cookies are cleared when you logout.

HotelUser
07-01-2011, 01:27 AM

It's all cold hard investigation but usually people out of place are easy to spot!

Hecktix
07-01-2011, 01:28 AM
That would be a nice add-on I will need to investigate into that, but I am certain cookies are cleared when you logout.

I sure think it'd be good as at the moment most of that stuff is done by long investigation, something we have some mods which are very good at though.

nvrspk4
07-01-2011, 03:39 AM

That is indeed how being co-owner works ;)

I want to read spam
banned

next day

I want to read spam
banned

It happens.

The registration isn't really relevant, if a pedophile can view the PAPOY forum without registering then they probably won't register, however they won't register to view the PAPOY thread because they'd have to accidentally stumble across someone mentioning it, then again I doubt they'd even realize what PAPOY would mean. Hence the advantage to hiding it if you're worried about pedophiles :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!