PDA

View Full Version : Some good uses for a lot of RAM / Uses for extremely fast volatile disk space

HotelUser
11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
I was only looking to buy a 4 GB stick for my one empty slot but then I realized that there was a sale on decent 8GB sticks (9-9-9-24 timing which is what I would have bought anyway) so I looked up my RAM bottleneck and apparently it's 32GB. I bought 4 8GB sticks so I'll have 32GB of ram.

At first I thought this was a ridiculous amount of RAM (and it is), but a lot of other iMac owners are doing this as well. I ultimately decided to do it because it was so cheap and because I can make ramdisks and use them for application caching.

Other than that, what are some other fun things to do with so much RAM or with a really large ramdisk? I wonder if I can run a virtual machine directly from it :P

Jack!
11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Turn it in to disk space, that's always fun, Its like a faster SSD, but the stuff disappears when you shut down, haha.

You'll be fine for video editing!

mrwoooooooo
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
16gb ram disk

Recursion
12-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I used to do this kind of thing for our Minecraft worlds before they got efficient... oh how times have changed

Stephen
12-12-2012, 11:40 PM
a ruler?

HotelUser
13-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I used to do this kind of thing for our Minecraft worlds before they got efficient... oh how times have changed

I remember when even small amounts of TNT were server suicide

Turn it in to disk space, that's always fun, Its like a faster SSD, but the stuff disappears when you shut down, haha.

You'll be fine for video editing!

Yeah that's what a ramdisk is, I want to think of cool things to do with it. I've seen some people setup a rig where they load XP onto their ramdisk at startup and run the OS directly from ram so I might attempt that :P

Jutnux
14-12-2012, 07:27 PM
I should really upgrade my RAM sooner or later, **** is cheap now.

Chippiewill
14-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Install all your daily used programs onto the ram disc.

HotelUser
14-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Install all your daily used programs onto the ram disc.

I'm moving my application cache to the ramdisk so things like Chrome are going to be lightning fast.

I want to think of games or other applications which do a lot of I/O that would benefit from running on a really fast storage medium. I'm going to see how fast a virtual machine runs with its hard disk image stored on the ramdisk but I also want to sample additional applications.

Oleh
16-12-2012, 11:53 AM
If you play DayZ it is somewhat beneficial to install it to the ramdisk.

Futz
16-12-2012, 01:25 PM
render a really over the top 3d youtube intro

lSFresh
16-12-2012, 03:15 PM
HOW DO YOU BUILD A COMPUTER. I WANT TO LEARN HOW.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!