PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks

Calum0812
03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey guys,
A friend of mine is having panic attacks and wants to know how to deal with them.
They are sick of going the doctors because they don't get answers and they feel like they have exhausted online info.
I can't help because I've never had one, or know of anyone that has had one so I was wondering if anyone here at Habbox could shed some light on the situation?

Ever so grateful and +rep for those who do :)

-Nick
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Tell him to think of everything what could go wrong and what he can do to solve it! Sometimes it can work sometimes not!

MKR&*42
03-08-2013, 08:24 PM
I've had very few panic attacks before and the only thing that's ever worked for me (even though this is advice given a lot) is to slow down your breathing. Breathing much slowly will actually help and will calm them down - it's one of the best things you can do in any stressful or panicky (inc panic attacks) situation.

e5
03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Put into my own words bits that I've read from the NHS before.

You need to tell yourself your self that this is not going to happen. Keep yourself occupied when you think one is coming. Confront the fear, if you do that, you then realise that nothing is actually going to happen, and if you don't do this, you're always going to think something is.

In more serious scenarios you can get prescriped anti-depressants, although doing regular exercise can help prevent them as this relieves tension and manage stress.

Stephen
03-08-2013, 09:46 PM
just gonna say what i say in every panic attack thread

easy root is benzos! depends on the doctor though plus if you're young most doctors will expect you to abuse them for some reason but worth a try if they're bad x1000

also tell your friend not to go near antidepressants

myles
03-08-2013, 10:06 PM
get that spray that u spray into ur mouth

Idiots
03-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Hey, your friend is probably suffering with Anxiety and depression, here is some more info.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Introduction.aspx

lawrawrrr
03-08-2013, 11:36 PM
i get them far more often than is probably healthy :/

The only thing that's ever worked for me is meditation, sounds a bit weird but jsut sitting calmly focusing on breathing is the best thing for it...

David
04-08-2013, 12:14 AM
contact dr melfi
get some prozac

Matt
04-08-2013, 02:59 AM
I don't have panic attacks but i tend to stress about things too much. That often means i have too much time on my hands to think of the things that could go wrong. Maybe if they can do something to get their mind off the anxiety? If i keep busy then i tend to forget about the things that I worry about (although when i go to bed it starts again lol).

Empired
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Ugh ok. The whole "POSITIVE THINKING" thing is not particularly good advice for someone who actually having a panic attack. Any logic in their brain has just shut down by this point, hence they are panicking. It's only good for before they have a panic attack because it's too late by the time they're actually in one.

I found when I used to get panic attacks I needed to stand up as straight as possible to get as much air into my lungs as I could (this is actually quite hard 'cause you just want to curl up into a ball) and have someone rub my back until I can get out of it. I know lots of people say that giving the person a sharp slap can snap them out of this but I never found this was the case at all, it just made me worse.

Shar
04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
They are horrible. I've been advised deep breathing techniques, they really help.

Pezza
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Panic attacks can be caused by lots of things. The most popular being stress and anxiety. Dealing with them isn't easy but they're actually caused by your own mind. The physical reactions are the result of your brain not knowing how to control itself. The best way to deal with them is to sit down, try and keep calm and lower your heartbeat.

Lowering your heartbeat is the key because if your heart is inclining towards tachycardia then that alone will cause you to panic even more. I understand it will be extremely difficult to bring it under control, but that is the way to deal with them.

The paper bag technique, although it generally works is kind of defunct in its teaching nowadays. Apparently they've linked the extreme and abrupt CO2 increase to making attacks worse.

haylashayla
14-08-2013, 11:06 AM
yawn.

works for me

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!