
Can't really see how you have put Gallows and In Flames in there. In Flames are a legendary band and Gallows are very underrated in their scene.
His longevity has nothing to do with his popularity, Slick Rick's been around much much longer and doesn't have half the fame Eminem does. The problem with trying to call Eminem overrated is that the term carries a big negative vibe and makes it sound like he's not talented - he is, but he's not the king of rap that white people seem to think he is, and that's being overrated
Good shout U2 have like 3 good songs yet have legend status (albeit mostly among middle aged women)
Gorerotted are different to the norm too but they're still rubbish
No idea who they are but I think mumford and sons are goodHis longevity has nothing to do with his popularity, Slick Rick's been around much much longer and doesn't have half the fame Eminem does. The problem with trying to call Eminem overrated is that the term carries a big negative vibe and makes it sound like he's not talented - he is, but he's not the king of rap that white people seem to think he is, and that's being overrated
Good shout U2 have like 3 good songs yet have legend status (albeit mostly among middle aged women)
Gorerotted are different to the norm too but they're still rubbish
[QUOTE=FlyingJesus;7083612]His longevity has nothing to do with his popularity, Slick Rick's been around much much longer and doesn't have half the fame Eminem does. The problem with trying to call Eminem overrated is that the term carries a big negative vibe and makes it sound like he's not talented - he is, but he's not the king of rap that white people seem to think he is, and that's being overrated
He's not being overrated. He is good and he wrote all his songs. He's not like other rappers out there who will only rap about girls, drugs and sex. He's a rapper who raps about life. People feel him and that's why he's famous. He is the king of rap.
---------- Post added 22-04-2011 at 04:51 PM ----------
Yeah Mumford and Sons are good. How could they be overrated
Agreed, every time Gallows they bring out a record they end up having to tour religiously and fight to even make people listen to it. that's not over-rated in my books.
You're just proving that you know nothing about rap music. Not all other rappers will only talk about girls, drugs, and sex, and frankly for those who do that IS life. The majority of people don't live in ghettos (or by definition they wouldn't be ghettos) but for those who do have that background that's their life story. Eminem talking about how he beats his girlfriend and wants to kill his mum is actually far less real than people like Nas, DMX, Beanie Sigel and all the others who tell their stories.
When you hear Snoop on the radio shouting about how much weed he smokes that isn't the be all and end all of rap lyricism, or even the majority - that's like suggesting that because Kings Of Leon (another overrated band that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet) sung a song about sex that got played a lot on radio all rock music is about sex
gallows are so underrated. ha.
EDIT: (i decided to read the thread through) the xx aren't only famous because they toured with florence, please don't make statements without getting at least yr google on. they've had a massive underground following for the last 2 years, they only got "big" last year because their debut album was finally released, they had a catchy tv campaign (just a big x on the screen ha) and they got a lot of hype from nme/other music critics.
to say they're only famous because of forence is silly.
Last edited by beth; 22-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
I don't know anything about rap but a lot of the people who are now rich still sing about the ghetto and crap yet they make a lot of money, far more than me and a lot of people I know.You're just proving that you know nothing about rap music. Not all other rappers will only talk about girls, drugs, and sex, and frankly for those who do that IS life. The majority of people don't live in ghettos (or by definition they wouldn't be ghettos) but for those who do have that background that's their life story. Eminem talking about how he beats his girlfriend and wants to kill his mum is actually far less real than people like Nas, DMX, Beanie Sigel and all the others who tell their stories.
When you hear Snoop on the radio shouting about how much weed he smokes that isn't the be all and end all of rap lyricism, or even the majority - that's like suggesting that because Kings Of Leon (another overrated band that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet) sung a song about sex that got played a lot on radio all rock music is about sex
I don't like the rap scene myself because a lot of rappers have been involved with stuff such as gun crime, including eminem. I'm sure I'd get into more trouble if it was me but because they are famous rappers they seem to get off it.
I'm a rock guy myself, and before you call me a hypocrite, I'm quite against drugs even though I know a lot of people that take them. I think it's good when we get to see a band just doing it for the one important thing, the music.
It really annoyed me once when I saw a few years back the NME award thing on the TV. They where discussing who should win the awards, this was before the actual awards. It was the time when Franz Ferdinand had arrived and while I don't really listen to them now really liked them at the time. One of the people said they shouldn't get an award because they believed in true love and that wasn't a really Rock N Roll image.
I love bands who don't care about image and just make music because that's what they like to do. So what if they are a rock band that don't take drugs or a rap artist that doesn't come from the ghetto or is involved with gun and other crimes. It should be about the music only really.
i know alot of people in bands that have criminal records, or have done bad things it's not just because they rap. but you are contradicting yr end point that it should be about music by disliking rap for gun crime...I don't know anything about rap but a lot of the people who are now rich still sing about the ghetto and crap yet they make a lot of money, far more than me and a lot of people I know.
I don't like the rap scene myself because a lot of rappers have been involved with stuff such as gun crime, including eminem. I'm sure I'd get into more trouble if it was me but because they are famous rappers they seem to get off it.
I wouldn't have called you a hypocrite until you said that you're against drugs despite what the rock scene contains, because to then say the rap scene is bad because of THEIR crimes is hypocriticalnot having a go just pointing that out lol, you're allowed to not like a genre without any real reason of course but people shouldn't make comments about things they have no idea about like the post I quoted. It's basically like saying one footballer is the best in their team when you don't know any of the others, or some other such analogy
I quite agree with your last statement by the way, I think in ALL musical types there's far too much acting and facade which really isn't necessary for the music to sound good
Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!